Buddhist Tattoos

zenbangkok

I think somewhere in this thread there is a string of posts discussing whether it's 'OK' for monks to create tattoos. AFAIK the Vinaya says nothing directly about sacred tattoos, but if I remember correctly somewhere in the Tipitaka - not sure if it was the Vinaya Pitaka - there is discourse condemning fortune-telling and dealing with magic. The sak yan tradition could be seen as falling under that rubric. Ditto for amulets, sacred string, and many other artefacts of daily monastic life in Thailand.

The tradition stands on a strong ethical foundation. Tattoos requested or given for the wrong reasons have no power. Only tattoos given and worn by masters and disciples following the precepts (plus a few additional moral imperatives) have the power to protect, bring prosperity and so on. Same for everything in the Thai magico-religious tradition, including amulets. Wisely used, these can become instruments for teaching and practising sila, Buddhist morality. When not used for that purpose, they are useless. Or so it is said.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^ sabaijai,

like you I cant be bothered wading through the various posts, however I am sure there was an informed post that mentioned such things as, drawing blood and causing pain/suffering.

Others more informed than I , can maybe point us in the right direction.

I used to have a page bookmarked that dealt with certain aspects in detail, especially concerning those amulets that were popular a few years ago, sorry cant remember the name, (the large ones).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have many, as you may see in my avatar i am being blessed by ajarn noo after recieving one.

each yant has a different meaning, and should be left to the ajarn to decide the yants for you according to what you need.

they come with rules that must be followed forever.

Edited by mataus101

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up a copy of this book and it is really well researched and VERY informative.

Truly a great resource.

Sacred Tattoos of Thailand has been officially released in Thailand. Asia Books' website offers a sizable discount off the bookstore price.

9789814302548_s.jpg

https://www.asiabook...pe=IA4XT2OrpfI=

Edit: as of 18 Dec 2011, the book is available in all branches of Kinokuniya in Bangkok.

• 2 months later...

Sacred Tattoos of Thailand has been officially released in Thailand. Asia Books' website offers a sizable discount off the bookstore price.

9789814302548_s.jpg

https://www.asiabook...pe=IA4XT2OrpfI=

Edit: as of 18 Dec 2011, the book is available in all branches of Kinokuniya in Bangkok.

UPDATE

Now available at Asia Books and Bookazine as well. And on UK Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...32928297&sr=8-1

And via the website for the book:

http://sacredtattoosofthailand.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-154100-0-98792000-1340828277_thumb.

I am proud or if you prefer... more modestly I am happy :-) I did this Tattoo on my hand for it is my own idea so do not copy it on somebody else LOL

It can of course be read only when I join my hands

Edited by Tchooptip

• 4 weeks later...

. Ditto for amulets, sacred

Indeed. As has already been stated, the indigenous beliefs (in this case anamism) are very durable and stick around.. It's like that for all cultures.. thus, there are different flavors of all the religions depending on where they have migrated to; Filipino Catholics, for example, are very different from American Catholics who are different from Bolivian catholics.

There are sociological functions of religions... if one religion doesn't meet all people's needs, they will mix and match

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dan White, a photographer who documented sak yan in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos extensively for Sacred Tattoos of Thailand and various other publications, passed away early today.

Buddhist rites for Mr White will be held at Wat That Thong, Bangkok. Receiving hours begin tomorrow and continue through Sunday, Sep 23, in Sala 16. Cremation will take place at 2pm on Monday, Sep 24.

• 3 months later...

SIAM SOCIETY LECTURE SERIES Thailand’s sacred tattoo tradition. A talk by Joe Cummings

1301Tattoo1.jpg

Thailand's sak yan (yantra tattoos) are said to bestow magical properties upon those who wear them, from enhancing charisma and good fortune to bolstering physical strength and rendering skin bulletproof. Besides imbuing the wearer with special powers and protection, the designs also deeply entwined with Buddhist moral codes, and may lose their power if a wearer errs from the spiritual path.

Sacred Tattoos of Thailand: Exploring the Magic, Masters and Mystery of Sak Yan is the first illustrated book in English to fully explore the country's fascinating centuries-old yantra tattoo tradition, tracing the spiritual art form back to its roots in the Tai cultures of East and Southeast Asia.

A groundbreaking work on a powerful cultural tradition, Sacred Tattoos of Thailand contains more than 180 full-colour, specially commissioned photographs and unparalleled access to living masters, some of whom have never permitted photography in their samnaks before. Drawing on 18 months of research trips across Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, the book takes readers on a vivid journey into the sacred world of the tattoo masters and their disciples, a realm rich in colour and occult spirituality.

In his Siam Society lecture, author Joe Cummings will discuss the integrated belief system behind sak yan, and dispel common myths and misconceptions about the history and practice. The accompanying PowerPoint presentation will include images from a rare hand-illustrated yan (yantra) book recently discovered in the United States.

Mr. Joe Cummings originally came to Thailand to study Buddhism, and soon afterwards begin researching Southeast Asia art history for a master's degree at the University of California at Berkeley. He has written more than 30 guidebooks on countries in Asia and North America, and authored several books on Buddhist art and architecture, Thai design, and related topics, including Buddhist Temples of Thailand, Buddhist Stupas in Asia, Lanna Renaissance, Burmese Design and Architecture and Chiang Mai Style.

Date: 17 January 2013 (Thursday)

Time: 7.30 p.m.

Place: The Siam Society, 131 Asoke Montri Rd, Sukhumvit 21

Non-members donation: B200. Siam Society members, members’ spouses and children, and all students showing valid student ID cards are admitted free of charge. For more information, please contact Khun Arunsri at 0 2661 6470-7 ext 126, fax 0 2258 3491, or e-mail [email protected]. Office Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 9:00am. – 5:00pm.

The Siam Society is deeply grateful to the James H.W. Thompson Foundation for its generous support of the 2012-2013 Lecture Series.

Jolie has paid two visits to Pathum Thani tattoo master Noo Kanphai, from what I understand. I recently found this photo of her having five lines of khawm script tattooed to her upper back in 2003.

What a shame, disfiguring a beautiful body like that (I assume she didn't use a body double in Tomb Raider). Apparently, she's already had the "Billy Bob" tattoo and others lasered off, but added more. She's going to look like a yakuza's moll when she gets finished.

Although I enjoyed Tomb Raider, the scene where she is wearing a monk-like robe off one shoulder and in the presence of monks really made me cringe. Not to mention the constant waiing between her and the senior monk. Ah... Hollywood.

Yeah, I saw the same thing and thought, what crap.. only in Hollywood, would a monk wai a layperson.

undefined
biggrin.gif I have seen many Thai men with tattoos obviously from temples and of a buddhist nature.. Before I go any further please excuse my ignorance on these matters, I am only asking here as I am curious and hope my lack of knowledge or terminology won't offend anyone.

Many people seem to have tattoos across their upper back/shoulders which look like many triangular spikes, is this some kind of protection sign, can someone explain? also I have seen circles (is this to show the many ways of Buddhism).

I saw a girl the other day with a tiny Buddha tatooed on the upper most part of the bridge of her nose, like a bhindi.

Anyway was speaking to a Western chap who had one of these tattoos across his back, I was very interested to hear what it was about.. ohmy.gif I asked him but he appeared to have no idea!! just said he went to a temple with some friends and had it done, then put a concealed donation into an envelope.

I am not sure whether this subject is exactly Buddhism but I felt if anyone would know then some people in here would. I am genuinely interested to know, i see so many people with these Tattoos that they must be of some significants.

Thanks biggrin.gif

What Sabaijai said is true..also the nine spires are called gao yord, which means nine tips or tops...the pedestal they are floating above is a magic word square, and says 'gu ti gu ya tha saa waetaa saagu' once on the left side, and once mirrored in reverse order on the right side. sometimes the buddha image , called ongk pra in thai, is above an arrow ponting upwards..this represents the straight path to nirvana he is on, due to having become an arhant.this tattoo is normally placed on the nape of the Neck, and later added to with a further 'yiisib yord' or twenty spiresalong the shoulders. the sacred Yant is written using 'Agkara' or Ancient Khmer lettering, but the language is Pali Sanskrit. i have learne for over 3 years under hlwong pi pant at wad bang pra temple in nakorn chaysrii thambon bang gaew fa, nakorn pathom.As a result i have translated the 108 yant into english along with all the corresponding kaataaa, or prayer mantras and how to draw them according to tradition...there is a ###### of a lot to know about this before you can know what you are doing, also many rules of behaviour...

/mods edit commercial links

I was hoping you would jump in here Spencer.. I would consider you an expert on Sak Yan.. thanks...I know you have studied this stuff for a number of years.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I've been reading through this very old thread and there is a wealth of information here. I was originally interested in Gao Yord and still am however I recently came across an image of a Sak Yan across the chest. I found this on Ajarn Pi's Facebook page. Could anyone provide more information about it, such as the name, translation and meaning? I'll be back in Chiang Mai next month, are there still places for Sak Yan in the area? Is Ajarn Pi still at Wat Pra Non?

SakYantTattoosAjarnPi-5.jpg

Ajahn Pi divides his time between Bangkok and Chiang Mai (Mae Rim), and occasionally visits Singapore, according to info found on his FB page and the Sak Yant Foundation website.

Probably best to call the phone numbers listed on those sites to find out when he will be in Chiang Mai.

Thank you. Do you have any information about that particular Sak Yan above?

Different masters sometimes differ in their explanations of specific designs. Why don't you message Ajahn Phi on Facebook and ask him?

• 3 weeks later...

Ajahn Pi divides his time between Bangkok and Chiang Mai (Mae Rim), and occasionally visits Singapore, according to info found on his FB page and the Sak Yant Foundation website.

Probably best to call the phone numbers listed on those sites to find out when he will be in Chiang Mai.

There's a lot of good info here, thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I live in Chiang Mai and would like to get a sak yan (my first) from an ajarn in the Chiang Mai area. Sabaijai - I was just wondering if you (or anyone else in this topic) has gotten sak yan from Ajarn Pi?

Also, I am wondering if anyone here can tell me about a personal experience with other sak yan Ajarn in northern Thailand, within a few hours of Chiang Mai?

Feel free to PM. Thanks in advance!

Angela

• 3 weeks later...

Spencerdharmagrafix is the guy to ask about tattoo's, sak yants.. he's an expert. There are many, many monks in Thailand with tattoo's.. there are also many abbots of Buddhist temples who don't like their monks to have tattoo's and won't normally let monks stay at their temples if they do. So, if your thinking of becoming a monk, you better check with the abbot first. At the temple I'm at now, no one but me has any tattoo's. But then, I'm special. tongue.png

• 4 months later...

Haven't these tattoos been around longer than Buddhism?

Yes. Tai cultures were applying spiritual tattoos with animist motifs at least 2,000 years ago, gradually incorporating Brahmanist and Buddhist themes as these religions became established in SE Asia,

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! I'm new to this blog, and was drawn to it by a particular interest in Sak Yant tattoos. I've been doing a lot of research but can't seem to get some answers with regard to the yant that I'm planning to get. I was hoping you could help me with some questions.

I already have two yants (one on my arm and another one on my back), and I want to add another bigger piece on my chest (see attached). I know this is not the usual sak yant design that is commonly seen online. In that sense, do do all monks do this? and do I need to make a prior appointment with the temple so they can sketch it out? Pardon the questions, as I'm really grappling for answers. smile.png

I'm also concerned about the price. I've inquired in Ajarn Noo's shop, and was quoted 40k baht for this piece. That is a lot by any standard. If monks do not accept payment, but donations instead, how much is acceptable considering the work that will be done?

Thanks a lot! Sadhu!

nain_sak_yant.jpg

I've never seen a yan (there's no 't' sound at the end) like this. If I had to guess I'd say it's a face of Kala, the Brahmanist god of time and death. Often seen on the lintel over the doors of certain chambers in a Hindu temple, a reminder that all who enter are subject to time and death and that by becoming an initiated worshiper one has the opportunity to 'escape' time and death.

There are many sak yan masters in Thailand, so Ajahn Noo is not your only choice, obviously. You might try Ajahn Neng on Onnut 44 in Bangkok. He has a wide knowledge of designs and is open to considering meaninful new designs. Aj Neng charges around 200 baht for regular designs.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! I'm new to this blog, and was drawn to it by a particular interest in Sak Yant tattoos. I've been doing a lot of research but can't seem to get some answers with regard to the yant that I'm planning to get. I was hoping you could help me with some questions.

I already have two yants (one on my arm and another one on my back), and I want to add another bigger piece on my chest (see attached). I know this is not the usual sak yant design that is commonly seen online. In that sense, do do all monks do this? and do I need to make a prior appointment with the temple so they can sketch it out? Pardon the questions, as I'm really grappling for answers. smile.png

I'm also concerned about the price. I've inquired in Ajarn Noo's shop, and was quoted 40k baht for this piece. That is a lot by any standard. If monks do not accept payment, but donations instead, how much is acceptable considering the work that will be done?

Thanks a lot! Sadhu!

nain_sak_yant.jpg