Passport Confiscated

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June of this year. I was told I cannot travel to another country if I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. So filled in the forms, made the long trip to the U.S. Embassy, paid the $75.00 for the new passport, submitted my papers and was told to have a seat. I noticed many people who came after me come and go. I was still sitting there. Finally after more than an hour my name was called. The clerk told me "sorry, sir, we have have to keep your passport for "administrative review." I replied, "why, is there a problem?" She responded, "I have no idea sir." I said, "how can I rent a hotel room without my passport?" - I was planning on staying in bangkok tonight." She replied, "sorry, sir, we have to keep your passport." I have lived here for 10 years, never been arrested, I just an English teacher. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I went to the Embassy to have extra pages added to my passport. They held me for two hours. Eventually, the clerk came out and apolgized to me saying "we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you." I wonder if it's the same problem. Some computer glitch or something. In any event, it really bothersome. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

You are in good company, not that this is any comfort. A major airline refused to seat Senator Edward Kennedy in Washington because he was on some government hit list undoubted issued by by a department I call: the Department of Fatherland Security. Zieg heil.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June of this year. I was told I cannot travel to another country if I have less than 6 months remaining on my passport. So filled in the forms, made the long trip to the U.S. Embassy, paid the $75.00 for the new passport, submitted my papers and was told to have a seat. I noticed many people who came after me come and go. I was still sitting there. Finally after more than an hour my name was called. The clerk told me "sorry, sir, we have have to keep your passport for "administrative review." I replied, "why, is there a problem?" She responded, "I have no idea sir." I said, "how can I rent a hotel room without my passport?" - I was planning on staying in bangkok tonight." She replied, "sorry, sir, we have to keep your passport." I have lived here for 10 years, never been arrested, I just an English teacher. I had a similar experience 2 years ago when I went to the Embassy to have extra pages added to my passport. They held me for two hours. Eventually, the clerk came out and apolgized to me saying "we thought we had a 'hit' on your name but it turns out it wasn't you." I wonder if it's the same problem. Some computer glitch or something. In any event, it really bothersome. Anyone else ever had a similar problem?

I would not be to alarmed about them keeping my passport i would think for security purposes the embassy wants to have in hand your passport while in the process of issuing a new one there are new things going on with US passports today that take longer to issue it is for your protection and mine.

If you have been in Thailand for a while (and have nothing to worry about in the states) maybe the response "I have no idea sir." shook you up a little.

I would think you should know to have several copies of you passport and visa in a safe place here in Thailand just in case you run into a need to prove who you are in case you loose your passport or need to leave it at the embassy.

I hope this response settled your fears a little that the sky is not falling and you continue to enjoy your stay in Thailand.

Your name is on Bush created watch list. Had a story a couple years back on CNN where a US Congressman was

detained every time he try to get on a plane. Even with his credentials kept him each time long enough to miss the plane. Needless to say he was not a happy camper he could not get it off the list and finally went to CNN and

had made a documentary while trying to board a plane. That got him off the list or a special pass. Sorry can not remember his name.

When the clerk told you they were holding your Passport and refused / was unable to give you a reason, you just accepted that and left??

I would have insisted on speaking to someone in authority and getting a full explanation before I even considered going away.

Patrick

I had a similar problem several years ago, upon entering the U.S. at LAX and being told by the INS official to "step over there, sir, we have some problem with your identity".

It turned out that I have a fairly common name and a person with my exact name was wanted for questioning in regards to an anonymous tip for jewelry smuggling. They did a quick on-line scan and realized it couldn't be me--as the person in question was of a different race--and they apologized and sent me on my way. It never happened again. Perhaps they added a notation in my INS profile. In your own case, mistaken identity could be the culprit but I agree with another poster that you needed to summon a supervisor and find out more...as well as getting a temporary proof of citizenship letter.

I had something similar to Fore Man in that I got pulled by the INS, but in this case it was because my passport was showing as having been reported missing in the database and they ended up getting confirmation from DC that this was not the case.

I pointed out that I live on a small island in the Gulf of Thailand and that the only time they see my passport is when I enter and leave the country and that perhaps the INS person had made an error when logging me in and to check to see if the dates corresponded with the last time I entered or left the country. But, no, they had to get confirmation from DC so I sat in the Seattle airport for 3 hours :o

I would not be to alarmed about them keeping my passport i would think for security purposes the embassy wants to have in hand your passport while in the process of issuing a new one there are new things going on with US passports today that take longer to issue it is for your protection and mine.

If you have been in Thailand for a while (and have nothing to worry about in the states) maybe the response "I have no idea sir." shook you up a little.

I would think you should know to have several copies of you passport and visa in a safe place here in Thailand just in case you run into a need to prove who you are in case you loose your passport or need to leave it at the embassy.

I hope this response settled your fears a little that the sky is not falling and you continue to enjoy your stay in Thailand.

When you apply for a new US passport, they don't keep your old passport. When the new one arrives, they take you old passport and cancel it, and then return it with your new one.

Two things:

1) America doesn't give a shit if you pay Thai taxes or not. It's not their business.

2) By law, your U.S. Passport cannot be confiscated for U.S. tax related issues. It can be confiscated for child support issues; Homeland Security issues; federal, state, or local criminal warrants or if for some reason, you name or passport number has been 'flagged.' for "behavioral" reasons.

This is the second time this has happened to me. Two years ago I had to add more pages to my passport so I went to Bankok and they held me for two hours only to come out and apologize claining a "system error." This time they're keeping it until they sort things out!

My Passport is a 'replacement' Passport as my original was lost in the U.S. Mail. I suspect this is the root of the problem and it has never been corrected. Point is, it a huge huge pain in the ass as I don't live in BKK. Now I have to waste another day traveling to BKK and back. My brother is the Chief-of-Staff of a U.S. Congressman and is working on the problem as we speak. God, what a pain! Protect your passport!

My only daughter is 32 years old. I doubt they want me for child support payments. She makes more money than I do!.

I wonder what kind of country the US is to take away a passport of a citizen and leaving that citizen abroad without any form of identity.

Glad I am not a US citizen.

Besides that, all the problems that country makes to get inside, I am not inclined to go there either.

What a country.

If I transfer money from my own country to Thailand, the F***** authorities of the f****** US get informed about that.

Not of their g*dd*mn business.

I went the to Americam Embassy to renew my passport as it expires in June ...

One suggestion to all, is to only take a COPY of your passport to hand over, or say you lost it. Can always claim you "found" it again. That way you don't have to worry about them taking it. Typical $#!^, took me 4 years to get mine again last time it expired.

Military and child support owed me, both played a part. Ex was in arrears when I my child went back to live with them, but if I don't pay because they owe me still, I'm in arrears, go figure!

Sorry about your passport but you do not need your passport to book a room if you are living in Thailand (you said you'd been here 10 years) a credit card and a Thai drivers license has been all I have ever needed. Are you a US veteran? If so PM me and i will see what i can do. As service officer for the VFW i have contacts in the embassy.

P.S Never leave your passport as a deposit at a hotel or rental agency. Only leave a copy of your passport.

I'm a bit perplexed...First, as far as I know it's illegal to be in Thailand without a passport.

and, how the F are you supposed to leave Thailand, let alone get into the US without a passport?? And no explanation or able to speak to an American authority? Morons of the highest order. Sorry you have to go through this man.

I think you're a calmer man than I, likely would of landed myself in jail... Jai f'n lawn I woulda been.

Edited by damian5000

One trick I use when travelling is to scan my passport and email the scan to myself (using a web-based account). That way I can download and print a copy from anywhere in the world with and internet connection.

Perhhaps you should change your name from Osama to Frederick or Charles or somesuch?

Good luck getting OUT of the computer. I don't think it can be done.

nope but after i had it back in my hands and in my pocket i would ask to see the supervisor and ask why. if they have you on a hit list you need to get them to put in a note in the computer that you are one of the good guys. thats just me though

Yes, because if he's on some sort of U.S. hit list he really should be watching for bombs or snipers around every corner, :o . Wrong choice of words there.

i would think for security purposes the embassy wants to have in hand your passport while in the process of issuing a new one there are new things going on with US passports today that take longer to issue it is for your protection and mine.
State of Fear.

If you can, always get a full colour copy of the passport page, the visa your in on, and the entry stamps, stick a copy in your wallet and another on the net somewhere, worst comes to the worst you should have all the info you need on those three pages.

Take it to your Congressman.

When you get your Passport back. Complain.

I used to always be detained upon entering the United States.

I have had that happen to me many times with US Customs upon entering the United States, coming from Thailand. I received finally a letter from The Director of US Customs, to my congress man, who intervened in my behalf - saying there was another name similar to mine, but I should not be confused with that person, and in the future I should be treated like any other American citizen.

I had always been detained by customs. Searched. Etc. But my passport never confiscated. So I would suggest you complain, and take up the issue with your representative in Congress. That is heir job. It may take time, but you should get a answer one way or the other.

In fact I still am in the computer system. US Immigration and Customs still raise their eyes to look at me, as if in puzzlement, but I am no longer detained and searched, which so infuriated me in the past.

Good luck.

Ted

Ubon

A friend of mine had his passport confiscated when he was getting pages added. It was because of child support payments. When his daughter was nearly 18 years old my friend was coming to live here and paid his ex wife the balance in cash. It wasn't reported to the government thus the records showed that he had not paid. Of course his ex wife was absolutely no help and if not for his daughter helping, it would have taken longer to resolve.

The US Embassy DID give him papers to use until the problem was resolved.

When I got a new passport, I was able to use my old one until the new one was issued. When I picked up the new one, they punched a hole in my old one and gave it back to me.

Trying Googling your name and see what you can find. Might have to do a few different types of searches. Being from Cali, there may be someone with the same name that has warrants out for their arrest.

When ever I go back to the states I am always "randomly selected" and I am sure it is because of the countries I have stamped in my passport. So maybe based on your profile, it triggered a flag.

Besides, you can get a hotel without giving up your passport or correct information.

since it already happened to him 2 years before I think it quiet clear, that there is someone with the same name. i read about that a few times already -on some news websites, that people even get detained, just because they have the same name as someone on the non-fly / terror list.

US customs always question me on what I'm doing in each country I visit and do read the passport pages. Often, I'll hand it to them and they struggle to hold it correctly to read it! Or it's just a show to intimidate us. They operate on instilling fear with the subtle threat you'll be brought up on federal criminal charges should you get upset losing face and misbehave by throwing a hissy fit over being singled out by incompetent bureaucracy. I feel for the OP, that would be awful to get your freedom of movement revoked, especially if you got a woman, money, and assets overseas or just need to continue teaching English. This is every aware well informed American expats worst nightmare when it comes to Johnny Law working for Homeland Security. In Korea 2 years ago, I worked with a young American running from the law who didn't realize that it'll catch up with him when he needs a new passport. Needless to say, he stopped being my friend when I mentioned this problem will resurface when it comes to passport renewal or adding pages, but just he just stated if he ever went home, he'd not be returning. I got the gist it was over a marijuana charge as he was a hippy stoner or maybe child support as he was dead serious about never going home again yet his relatives sent him care packages more than he wanted like once a week. I have a feeling he'll just stay permanently in a 3rd world country like Sri Lanka and never leave as he was adamant about never going home ever again.

Minneapolis is a bunch of conservative judgmental rednecks who will scrutinize why you travel since most people up in their neck of the woods don't. Going in through LAX was OK, but departing out of their domestic terminal sucks a crap sandwich if you don't like getting singled out into a glass box to be felt up by some fat man with a badge.

Of course, when they see a strange ghostly white Japanese robot walking in, it draws all the attention since they want to make sure it's not a walking bomb setup! LOL

Edited by RobotTeacher

If you didn't catch my earlier thread, the American Embassy confiscated my passport without so much as an explanation but said I would be contacted in three days to pick it up. Five days have passed. I called the Embassy today and was told my "case is still under review" and I may not not know the results until the end of "next week." We have researched the hel_l out of the various US Passport laws, etc. and found out that the only reason an embassy can confiscate your passport is 1) Failure to pay child support, 2) fraudelent pages in your passprt, 3) Homeland Security issues and 4)any outstanding federal, state, or local criminal warrants. I am guilty of none. So I did what I should have done last week. I called my brother who is a the Chief-of Staff of a U.S. Congressman. The ball starts rolling tomorrow a.m. This is so absurd. I am presenly in Thiland illegally - no passport.

If you didn't catch my earlier thread, the American Embassy confiscated my passport without so much as an explanation but said I would be contacted in three days to pick it up. Five days have passed. I called the Embassy today and was told my "case is still under review" and I may not not know the results until the end of "next week." We have researched the hel_l out of the various US Passport laws, etc. and found out that the only reason an embassy can confiscate your passport is 1) Failure to pay child support, 2) fraudelent pages in your passprt, 3) Homeland Security issues and 4)any outstanding federal, state, or local criminal warrants. I am guilty of none. So I did what I should have done last week. I called my brother who is a the Chief-of Staff of a U.S. Congressman. The ball starts rolling tomorrow a.m. This is so absurd. I am presenly in Thiland illegally - no passport.

How could they just take your passport?No explaination,nothing?I take it you were in the embassy for some reason.What was your reason for going to the embassy,did they ask to see you for something?There are so many different laws,now that 9/11 has happened,who knows what reason they can use?That is a worry,not having your passport on you.I look forward to hearing their excuse for this action.

How could they just take your passport?No explaination,nothing?I take it you were in the embassy for some reason.What was your reason for going to the embassy,did they ask to see you for something?There are so many different laws,now that 9/11 has happened,who knows what reason they can use?That is a worry,not having your passport on you.I look forward to hearing their excuse for this action.

I was in the Embassy simply to renew my oassport which is about to expire. That's it.

Why start a new Thread??

I do not understand how anyone with a clear conscience would meekly allow a clerk in his own Countries' Embassy to confiscate his Passport without receiving a clear and acceptable reason.

Patrick