Concrete Sealer

cmsally

Is there any product (type or brandname) that is particularly good at sealing concrete to avoid water seepage.

Need to seal part of a balcony that gets wet if rain and wind. Has drainage but unless the edges are sealed can get water soaking through and staining the outer surface. Logically it should be something suitable for sealing pools and ponds - needs to be water proof and adhere to the concrete.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any product (type or brandname) that is particularly good at sealing concrete to avoid water seepage.

Need to seal part of a balcony that gets wet if rain and wind. Has drainage but unless the edges are sealed can get water soaking through and staining the outer surface. Logically it should be something suitable for sealing pools and ponds - needs to be water proof and adhere to the concrete.

Jotun makes an epoxy based paint for use on concrete. It is called their "Penguard" series. It's 2 part, resin and catalyst, and comes in a bunch of colors. I paid B1200 for the clear and B1400 for blue. I got coverage of about 15 sq meters per gallon on very porous concrete well rings. On a smooth, concrete patio surface I would guess you could get 25 sq meters per gallon.

Get yourself a good face mask when you use it as the stuff is very strong. A fan also helps to 'clear' the air. Attached is a spec sheet for the Penguard.

Hope this helps.

rgds

We just bought stuff that looks like cement, has some kind of waterproofing sealant mixed in to seal our now leaking little pond. so far, so good, easy to apply , not nasty smelling and not too expensive for a gallon bucket (about 250 baht)

Silz is the brand, plastic orange gallon bucket

We just bought stuff that looks like cement, has some kind of waterproofing sealant mixed in to seal our now leaking little pond. so far, so good, easy to apply , not nasty smelling and not too expensive for a gallon bucket (about 250 baht)

Silz is the brand, plastic orange gallon bucket

Crikey that's cheap. Will have a look.

Went in the hardware store and asked, they recommended something by TOA - can't decipher my employee's handwriting regarding the name. It was 500Bt for small container.

Its not clear, not attractive, and will need to be painted over. We used it for our little pond and so far, so good. Its been about 4 days and no leaking.

It has some kind of sealant mixed in with cement powder, you add water and brush it on.

***edit*** just checked with my husband, the brand is Silka not silz

yes, you are right, we threw the can away when we were finished. :D Wish I could blame old age :o

I have seen the stuff you are mentioning but from other brands in the home pro. I used it and it does not let any water through. It even sets under water.

• 3 weeks later...

Can this stuff be used on bathroom floor before laying the tiles?

If not, what can be used so that water doesn't get into the concrete floor and cause mildew odor in the room directly below the bathroom?

Thanks