How Do You Treat The Help ?

JimmyTheMook

I treat them like they have a GREAT job as well as a GREAT wage in a very small pissant developing third world country.

I expect them to work their asses off for me for that reason alone.

I tell them they can always go back to "Nakhon Nowhere" and pull rice if that's what they want to do.

Never had one person quit yet, and had several refer their friends for work.

Go figure, amazing thailand..

reading your rubbish explains why Farangs are considered shit by many Thais. not that i believe a word you say. people with big mouths like you don't have the money to employ anybody except perhaps a "lady" for a few hours.

Hahahhaaaa :o:D

I pay an above average wage and pay for medical bills and such. I provided two Private English teachers five years ago but both said she was unteachable. A bit of trouble after each girlfriend upgrade. The Thai big sister, little sister eternal struggle for a while every time that I eventually have to mediate.

I do agree that's human nature that if you give service staff too much freedom it will blow back on you in a negative way. I for one want household help and do not want to rent another family member. Always treat the help with consistent control and respect them as they deserve.

Regretfully whatever you do with workers in a developing country makes little difference in the long term. At some stage they will find a way to take advantage of you and rip you off. This from employing staff and running commercial operations in every country in South East Asia, the middle East and Asia.

We all know, of course, that this simply doesn't happen in "non-developing" countries. Give me a break!

reading your rubbish explains why Farangs are considered shit by many Thais. not that i believe a word you say. people with big mouths like you don't have the money to employ anybody except perhaps a "lady" for a few hours.

WOW, quite the witty reply. .. Take you all nite to think that up? I don't give two shits if you believe me or not, as I quit caring what people thought about me a LONG time ago.

I will pose a question though; did you ever ponder the possibility that the reverse of your oh-so deep thought might also be true? Perhaps thais are considered shit by many "foreigners" <- (sorry I don't use thai-engrish phonemic transcription).

Last time I checked; I believe the posted minimum wage in Bangkok is about 193 baht A DAY for 10 hours of work. So in my opinion, I do pay very well and for that reason I expect a lot.

Treat a human worker like YOU would like to be treated if you were in their position. Its so easy for someone to "think " they are so above some one else just because you have more money than them..sad really.

Thais do this all the time with thehelp, service industry etc etc. I cant stand it, I seen a poor gilr at a expensive hotel serve drinks to "rich thais" (they are sitting in a low table at the lobby) , the poor gilr has to kneel down and walk in her knees to serve them drinks, she was so scared to even interrupt them, and when she didm they looked annoyed at her for doing so...not a thank you, no nothing. I almost got up and walked over there and told them to have a bit more manners since they 'thought they were the elite " of Thailand...ugh, discusting, most Rich thais have no class at all.

Two days ago the garbage truck came through my street as i am leaving my house, the guy pick up my bin and a box fell out, i picked it up for him and threw in the truck for him, he was so amazed...its normal for us westerners to do that i think. Why cant Thais do the same for their own people.

I am not saying all Thais are like this, but most are.

Edit: spelling...in a rush.

While I totally agree with you, I found it very disconcerting/embarrassing when the waitress served us on her knees, but TIT not the USA, England, etc. However much we may dislike certain aspects of a culture it really is not our place to interfere and the repercussions of confronting "Hi-So's" may not have been to your liking.

All cultures are different, and we need to understand that. A few years ago, here in America, I attended a christmas eve dinner at an Italian/American families home. The pater familias asked me if I would like more to eat, I responded yes and as I rose to go to the buffet he grabbed my arm and told me to "sit down!" He then barked out to his daughter, "Cherie, go fix Graham a plate!" Without blinking an eye, she got up and asked me what I wanted, I told her and she got what I wanted and brought it over to me. Very uncomfortable, but not my place to dispute it. This lady was balls to the wall at work and socially, yet she chose to be "submissive" at home with her parents. It was obviously a cultural thing!

With all this being said, in the right circumstances, there is nothing wrong with a hot babe being on her knees in front of you! :o

This is inspired by a recent topic posted about the quality of workers.

I have found that treating your workers here with common decency is taken as a sign of weakness by them.

Thai's tend to rule them with an iron fist and it is what seems to work best here.

Being nice and treating them like equals fails miserably.

that is because they are not equals, they are the help. doesn't mean they dont deserve respect though.

i treat my nanny like one of the family, but that doesn't mean equal either

Topic: Replying to How Do You Treat The Help ?

500 for HJ, 1000 for BJ should be the standard offer and make them happy? :o

All in jest ofc.

I would never hire a non-professional for any work.

I treat them like they have a GREAT job as well as a GREAT wage in a very small pissant developing third world country.

I expect them to work their asses off for me for that reason alone.

I tell them they can always go back to "Nakhon Nowhere" and pull rice if that's what they want to do.

Never had one person quit yet, and had several refer their friends for work.

Go figure, amazing thailand..

People like this I always ignore, and I think I'm not the only one. Hes just an attention seeker or do you prefer the word TROLL.

WOW, quite the witty reply. .. Take you all nite to think that up? I don't give two shits if you believe me or not, as I quit caring what people thought about me a LONG time ago.

I will pose a question though; did you ever ponder the possibility that the reverse of your oh-so deep thought might also be true? Perhaps thais are considered shit by many "foreigners" <- (sorry I don't use thai-engrish phonemic transcription).

Last time I checked; I believe the posted minimum wage in Bangkok is about 193 baht A DAY for 10 hours of work. So in my opinion, I do pay very well and for that reason I expect a lot.

It certainly appears this is how YOU feel.I have found the Thai people to be the most beautiful people in the world,and my staff the most loyal,kind and compassionate people i know. :o

I treat those in my employ as I would expect to be treated in the same position.

No – They are not equal, and neither am I to my boss when I’m at work.

They are doing a job. They are not my friends. I respect them for the work they do when they do it well and when they don’t I have to become a little more assertive than I usually would like.

I have witnessed in the past that some people do not have the capacity to correctly interpret generosity, gentleness and kindness, instead seeing it as weakness. I understand those who maintain a level of fear to prevent themselves from being placed in this position, however, I believe ensuring the correct work ethic in those we employ can be carried out respectfully and with a healthy balance of kindness and assertiveness.

I’ve know of Thai’s who can’t keep a maid for more than a day because they treat them so badly, locking them in the house if they leave so they cant steal things. I’ve known of Thai’s who have sent their lifelong maid to study and improve their education.

Generalising: I would expect that expats treat their maids more kindly and with more respect.

Generalising again: I would expect that in this case the employer is taken advantage of more often than those under a tougher employment regime… (Just guessing though)…