Disagreeing With Thais About Taking Medicines

keestha

Have you ever had a health check-up; lost the receipt before you could get reimbursed for it at work; returned to the hospital to reprint the receipt only to be told you need a police report stating that you lost the original receipt before they could reprint another one?

Of course you need a Police report!

The hospital has given you a reciept already, this reciept may be for you to give to an insurance company or employer to get money back, then you lose it, go back to the hospital to ask for another, in their eyes you could have 2 insurance companies and are trying to pull a scam. Thai people know how some Farangs are.

By asking you to get a Police report they are covering themselves from any allegations of wrong doing, hence they cannot come under fire from an insurance company for issuing false reciepts!

Problem ?

Edited by Maigo6

When my ex used to take tablets for her life threatening sneeze it used to make me laugh.

She would hold her nose put the tablets in her mouth the wash them down with plenty of water whilst heaving to the point she'd almost vomit them back up .............. 2 minutes later she'd be eating insects and all sorts of vomit wrenching food without a care in the world.

Actually, my twins live in Southmost, Texas :o , further south than countless parts of Old Mexico. And the favorite village idiot is from the high-class town in West Texas. :D My daughter who lives in the richest old zip code of Texas often waits two hours for a scheduled appointment; I never have waited over 40 minutes here for a scheduled appointment with the best doctors in Thailand.

Thais in the 30-baht scheme, and even in the social security insurance scheme, routinely wait for hours.

When my ex used to take tablets for her life threatening sneeze it used to make me laugh.

She would hold her nose put the tablets in her mouth the wash them down with plenty of water whilst heaving to the point she'd almost vomit them back up .............. 2 minutes later she'd be eating insects and all sorts of vomit wrenching food without a care in the world.

Was she eating insects whilst you were eating a part of a dead cow or a dead pig ? :o

We call it beef and pork to make ourselves feel better.

We eat pork sausages without a care in the world...... Visit a slaughter house, then see the process for making those sausages from the live pig to your plate....

Insects are not looking so bad after all.

Edited by Maigo6

We eat pork sausages without a care in the world...... Visit a slaughter house, then see the process for making those sausages from the live pig to your plate....

Ignorance is bliss!

If i was on that flight they made the movie Alive about, id have jumped over the jar of insects to tuck into a nice piece of human all day long.

Ignorance is bliss!

If i was on that flight they made the movie Alive about, id have jumped over the jar of insects to tuck into a nice piece of human all day long.

:D:D

Cheers Sanmiguel. :o

Have you ever had a health check-up; lost the receipt before you could get reimbursed for it at work; returned to the hospital to reprint the receipt only to be told you need a police report stating that you lost the original receipt before they could reprint another one?

The hospital has given you a reciept already, this reciept may be for you to give to an insurance company or employer to get money back, then you lose it, go back to the hospital to ask for another, in their eyes you could have 2 insurance companies and are trying to pull a scam. Thai people know how some Farangs are.

By asking you to get a Police report they are covering themselves from any allegations of wrong doing, hence they cannot come under fire from an insurance company for issuing false reciepts!

Do you have a justification that makes any sense? The insurance companies work directly with the hospitals...even in Thailand!! Police report does nothing as you can not prove you lost a receipt... Why would a hospital ever be held liable for such fraud (even though it would never happen for the reason cited above)???? Interesting that none of the medical professionals at the hospital know as much as you do as the only response I got from them when I asked why it was needed was, "it is the law". When I asked why it is the law, I got, "because the law is the law." I will take explanations from you with a grain of salt... I would recommend others do the same.

Problem ?

Get over yourself.

Problem?

Do you have a justification that makes any sense? The insurance companies work directly with the hospitals...even in Thailand!! Police report does nothing as you can not prove you lost a receipt... Why would a hospital ever be held liable for such fraud (even though it would never happen for the reason cited above)???? Interesting that none of the medical professionals at the hospital know as much as you do as the only response I got from them when I asked why it was needed was, "it is the law". When I asked why it is the law, I got, "because the law is the law." I will take explanations from you with a grain of salt... I would recommend others do the same.

Problem ?

Get over yourself.

Problem?

Jeez are you 5years old ?

Example...Ok I'll say this slowly so you can understand.............

A Farang goes on holiday, he takes out insurance with 2 different insurance companies in his home country, he get a Bill from a hospital, he tells them he has lost it, so then he gets another Bill from the same hospital, he presents one legitimate Bill to one insurance company, and another legitimate Bill to the other one, that way he gets paid out twice.

Now...If it comes to light that he has commited fraud, the Hospital are covered cos they have a Police Certificate stating he had lost the original, and that is why 2 legitimate bills were given.

That's why you need a Police report, they are covering themselves.

Sorry if its difficult for you to understand, its very obvious to me. :o

Years ago in Pattaya you could go to a certain clinic and get a medical bill for 20,000 Baht from the clinic, for this you would pay 2,000 Baht, you present this bill to your insurance company back in your home country and make 18,000 Baht profit towards your next holiday.

Now.... if you insured with 2 seperate companies, your profit doubles as long as there is no cross referencing and you get sussed, now the hospitals are covering themselves by the police report....

Ok now.....was that slow enough ?

Edited by Maigo6

Both with my present Thai wife and with the previous one, I have had differences of opinion regarding taking medicines. Being a European aged over 50, my whole life I have only taken medicines if it was strictly necessary, prefering to let the body fight off the problem the natural way.

But Thais want you to run to the doctor when you have a simple cold, and come back with at least three different types of pills.

Probably if a doctor from the west would work here as a general practitioner, he would have to order placebos by the truckload in order to keep his Thai clients satisfied.

People seem to have an unshakeable belief in the magical power of medicines, thinking they can make any problem disappear instantly.

Doctors also have a different intake. Once I got a headwound trying to walk without bending through a 1,8 meter doorpost though I am 1,95. The doctor stitched the wound, and gave me antibiotics which of course I didn't take.

Must admit the Thai way probably influenced me a bit though. Sure, if you have a cold or a hangover, taking a pill which contains besides paracetamol something else which you might not get over the counter in the west (pseudoephedrine?) gives you kind of a lift.

Your thoughts on this?

My Thai boyfriend used to be a real hypochondriac - he used to go to the doctor twice a week if he had a slight cold or a headache. One time he had bad chest pains so I took him to the government hospital in Bangkok (the one near the airport). After giving him an X-ray and not finding anything wrong, the doctor decided the best treatment was to give him a very large morphine suppository, in the middle of the busy public hospital ward.

My boyfriend is no longer a hypochondriac.

Jeez are you 5years old ?

Example...Ok I'll say this slowly so you can understand.............

A Farang goes on holiday, he takes out insurance with 2 different insurance companies in his home country, he get a Bill from a hospital, he tells them he has lost it, so then he gets another Bill from the same hospital, he presents one legitimate Bill to one insurance company, and another legitimate Bill to the other one, that way he gets paid out twice.

Now...If it comes to light that he has commited fraud, the Hospital are covered cos they have a Police Certificate stating he had lost the original, and that is why 2 legitimate bills were given.

That's why you need a Police report, they are covering themselves.

Sorry if its difficult for you to understand, its very obvious to me. :o

Years ago in Pattaya you could go to a certain clinic and get a medical bill for 20,000 Baht from the clinic, for this you would pay 2,000 Baht, you present this bill to your insurance company back in your home country and make 18,000 Baht profit towards your next holiday.

Now.... if you insured with 2 seperate companies, your profit doubles as long as there is no cross referencing and you get sussed, now the hospitals are covering themselves by the police report....

Ok now.....was that slow enough ?

You seem to ignore your own answer .. repeat it slower if that's what gets you off. You do understand that insurance companies... even foreign ones... contact the hospital directly??? If the hospital is contacted by two insurance companies (they don't rely on a piece of paper given to them by the beneficiary)... the jig is pretty much up! (geee wizzz) Of course you're going to get sussed!

Are you this charming in person?

Maigo6 - I have allowed the venom you spit to get in my eyes. Therefore, I did not read your posts carefully. I would say the situation you describe is the most likely reason the policy is in place. I was slow, or naive, in not considering that the health care provider could be in on the scheme... despite seeing this scheme being played out before with respect to Thai lecturers getting reimbursed for textbooks they purchased for class (the textbook seller printing a receipt overstating the value of the book).

My wife took our son to the doctors office for a cold.

The doc said my son has a "Cold, and told us to administer Zythromax." So then I asked the doctor why I should give my son an antibiotic for a virus....

The doctor got very red in the face....

Are you this charming in person?

I'm very charming in person. :o

So said the blind deaf mute. Freddie 'short but straight driving' Funk, don't mind Mr. Go6. He spends his time on here defending everything about the place for karmatic reasons - hoping in his next life to be granted PR status. :D

Edited by bkkjames

The logical answer of course is for the hospital to stamp the replacement reciept with the word DUPLICATE , no scamming , no double payement , no police report .

Just out of curiosity, how would that prevent the fraud? What would stop the person from using the original invoice at a different insurance company?

You miss the point of the police report from the hospital's point of view. They want it so they can show the person really said he lost it. It doesn't matter if he lied to the police to get it, as long as they have a piece of paper that shows he lost it.

TH

Forget all your pills, according to my wife Tiger-Balm cures all either in liquid form or ointment, any medical complaints, tiger-balm will cure it. I got badly bitten in Thailand 3 years ago and was in bed with bad hallucinations, sweating buckets, shi_tting everywhere and my left ankle where I was bitten was all swolen and black and the solution? Smother it in tiger-balm, did fuc_k all I might add, had to call a doctopr for antibiotics.

My missus had a large glass jar full of evil tasting Thai liquor and all manner of roots, shoots and leaves. Any sign of illness and a shot of that stuff seemed to work. Certainly worked for me as after one shot of it I never got sick again, well not that I ever told her about. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it comes from China. My wife is Chinese (in Australia) she has a whole range of Chinese herbs and medicines and (to quote an old ad.) "at the very first sign of a siffle or sneeze" - Mind you, I gotta admit some of it works. But, I cannot get her to acknowledge the suction cups used by Chinese and Tibetan and maybe others really only damage the skin and capiliary blood vessels. - Nuts, but ya gotta love it. :-)

The Thais perchant for taking medication have rubbed off on me. I usually stock up on my supply of Tiffin when i am there as i cannot get it in my country. Another medicine i stock up is contraceptive pills which i cannot get without prescription here also. My friends will stock up on their gout medicine and Codine too