Aaahhh! Low Season Weather Has Come Early!

simon43

Yep it's great when it rains.. anything that pis*es off the tourists is fine by me.. Roll on low season :o

Certainly brought out the snails and slugs last night

I got ten snails and two large slugs on the terrace

Makes good soup!

Makes good soup!

oh yukk - you are joking aren't you?

and add a few worms for flavour,beetles for taste,and a cockroach for munchyness.

No the frogs then :o

Makes good soup!

oh yukk - you are joking aren't you?

and add a few worms for flavour,beetles for taste,and a cockroach for munchyness.

No the frogs then :o

That's a side dish!

Frogs a la Phuket

I've been hit by two storms from  the east, so that doesn't tell me the monsoon is i.  Rainly season comes from the west, but with the past two nights heavy rains, the monsoon could be changing early from north east to south west shotly.

A few showers at this time of year is normal.

There are actually three seasons here; rainy season, cool and dry season and hot and dry season.

It is now changing from cool and dry to hot and dry season.

During the change, the land is heating up faster than the air. The hot air rises and is chilled to form storm clouds and rain.

As the air heats up further, the difference in temperature between the land and the air won't be so great, so the chances of rain will decrease until the SW monsoonal wind takes over in May.

I've been hit by two storms from  the east, so that doesn't tell me the monsoon is i.  Rainly season comes from the west, but with the past two nights heavy rains, the monsoon could be changing early from north east to south west shotly.

There are actually three seasons here; rainy season, cool and dry season and hot and dry season.

During the change, the land is heating up faster than the air. The hot air rises and is chilled to form storm clouds and rain.

As the air heats up further, the difference in temperature between the land and the air won't be so great, so the chances of rain will decrease until the SW monsoonal wind takes over in May.

So if the SW monsoon starts around May time, when does it end? I am trying to plan my trips to Phuket.

Have to say, when I was there in october the weather was nicer than at Christmas.

So if the SW monsoon starts around May time, when does it end? I am trying to plan my trips to Phuket.

Have to say, when I was there in october the weather was nicer than at Christmas.

The SW monsoon used to "officially" end at the end of November, but, now they are saying end of October. this is an artificial attempt to extend the high season.

The 1st December is usually when the wind changes to the NE monsoon (dry season). In reality, it could be two weeks either side of this date.

Yes - Christmas Eve evening it was absolutely chucking it down. You could try the following website - archived weather on the left hand side

Phuket weather

I enjoy the rain, its refreshing, and the children love it, I just sit outsde (under cover mind) with a beer, I have been known to get up in the middle of the night, all it takes is a role of thunder, sad eh !!! :o

I enjoy the rain, its refreshing, and the children love it, I just sit outsde (under cover mind) with a beer, I have been known to get up in the middle of the night, all it takes is a role of thunder, sad eh !!! :o

You sure it was a roll of thunder that got you up?

It has poured with rain for the past 2 evenings (a la rainy season...)

I hope this is not the start of the low season weather :D

Simon

Just wait for the first dry night - snow storm of flying ants :o

It has poured with rain for the past 2 evenings (a la rainy season...)

I hope this is not the start of the low season weather :D

Simon

Just wait for the first dry night - snow storm of flying ants :o

had those buggers tonight and had to spend 3 hours watering the garden again, bring on the rain.

You sure it was a roll of thunder that got you up?

You know now you say, I'm not sure :D:D:D

Hate those flying ants - especially while driving a motorbike :D

They feed the frogs and ghekko's and you should see the activity from the birds in the morning!

:o And zillions of wings (no bodies) lying all over the place to be swept up!

you are a fountain of knowledge, Sir Burr!

I'm trying to understand this but I can't. How does a land mass heat up faster than the air? Is there some geothermal source heating it up? Solar radiation?

I'm trying to understand this but I can't. How does a land mass heat up faster than the air? Is there some geothermal source heating it up? Solar radiation?

Yes, solar radiation. Solids absorb and generate heat better than gases.

Have you ever noticed after a hot day with the sun shining on your walls that during the evenings, inside the house can be hotter than outside?

The difference in temperatures between land and sea is the engine that drives the monsoonal winds.

When the land mass of china is hotter than the sea, winds blow towards it (SW monsoon), in the northern winter when the land-mass is cooler than the sea, winds blow towards the sea (NE monsoon).

1 -Yes, solar radiation. Solids absorb and generate heat better than gases.

2 - Have you ever noticed after a hot day with the sun shining on your walls that during the evenings, inside the house can be hotter than outside?

The difference in temperatures between land and sea is the engine that drives the monsoonal winds.

When the land mass of china is hotter than the sea, winds blow towards it (SW monsoon), in the northern winter when the land-mass is cooler than the sea, winds blow towards the sea (NE monsoon).

1 - I think you are mixing technical terms here. Solids may 'store' heat better than gases, but 'generate'. Do you mean 'radiate'?

2 - I think that has more to do with the heat sinking / storage effect and the reduced circulation of air in the confined space.

I think what confused me in your original comment, you spoke of the land mass heating up faster, rather than the land mass cooling slower than the air. I think it has something to do with 'enthalpy'. Maybe I have it backwards.