Going Native.......

Marksamui

"I am just interested and surprised by the amount of farang who now try to live and act 100% Thai."

Are these the ones with Thai tattoos and bits of cord around their wrists ?

why would it be any different to an Asian integrating into the west and acting 100% western <insert millions of examples here>

Because I don't think they do.

Just because you live in a foreign country and different culture does not mean that you should adapt 100% to that culture.

If my wife (Thai) went to live in England she would not try to be as English as possible, she would be a Thai person living in England. I would have to try and get Thai food for her, try and find Thai friends for her, find a Thai temple for her.

So I don't think Asian's do go west and act 100% west. Hence you have Chinatown in NY or London. They started because the Chinese kept some of their culture with them.

What gets me is some posters who accept Thai style everything and compain about tourists and farangs, when that is what they are. They just appear to have lost some of their identity. However reading the responses on this thread I now think it is a very small number (smaller than I thought) that have actually done this. Most I think try and keep as many western parts of their lives with them.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the guys i speak with,are moving up country because they are running out of money,or just living off a pension,which is worth less now.

Any native guys moved for the same reason or are you all rich.not a flame just very interested as if i ever decide to move i will be much richer than living in Pattaya.I would never move until my step son finished private school though.

The people moving upcountry because it is a lot cheaper will be disappointed. There simply isn't that much difference. The major difference would be rent. Since I pay no rent upcountry or in Jomtien, that savings is not there. Auto fuel is actually a little more expensive upcountry. Meat and rice are about the same price all over the country. Vegetables are cheaper and things like haircuts, home and auto repair are cheaper upcountry. Farang food is cheaper in the farang ghettos. Electricity is the same all over. The major saving would likely be the removal of temptation to go bar hopping. There are no farang bars in my area. Booze is about the same price everywhere if you buy it at the stores.

I think it is no diffreent than the west, some like to live in the Cities others in the Country pretty simple, I grew up in the City than 4 years ago bought a business in a rural area and now live here, I like it, some of my friends can understand others can't. I don't think there are many Farangs who live 100% as the Thais do, why would they, if you have money why not spend it and live comfortably, I have only had two small stays in my girlfriends village they are about 100 klms north of Surin, I think the pace is a little slow for me but I am only 33, if I was older I could see myself plodding around with a veggie garden and a small fish farm to keep myself occupied. My point is you either like it or not, if you don't nothing anybody can say will make you understand.

Edited by rick75

The people moving upcountry because it is a lot cheaper will be disappointed. There simply isn't that much difference. The major difference would be rent. Since I pay no rent upcountry or in Jomtien, that savings is not there. Auto fuel is actually a little more expensive upcountry. Meat and rice are about the same price all over the country. Vegetables are cheaper and things like haircuts, home and auto repair are cheaper upcountry. Farang food is cheaper in the farang ghettos. Electricity is the same all over. The major saving would likely be the removal of temptation to go bar hopping. There are no farang bars in my area. Booze is about the same price everywhere if you buy it at the stores.

The biggest price difference is land and housing(build).

Maybe some people do want to go native. As for myself, I'm not Thai and I don't WANT to be Thai. I do speak enough Thai to get by but have no desire to be fluent.

Speaking to the town drunks doesn't appeal to me at all and I normally tell them that I don't speak Thai. Some farangs enjoy the Thai social life as in living in a family group. I'm always amazed at the farangs who come up here and build a BIG house. They are encouraging family to move in with them because they DO have a big house. That's not for me.

My wife understands that her house is for the two of us. The first family member that she moves in will see me heading back to the farang ghetto with or without her. She is free to visit her family any time. Saying a friendly hello to the neighbors is enough for me. I don't have a two meter high block wall around two and a half rai for nothing.

"I am just interested and surprised by the amount of farang who now try to live and act 100% Thai."

Are these the ones with Thai tattoos and bits of cord around their wrists ?

why would it be any different to an Asian integrating into the west and acting 100% western <insert millions of examples here>

Because I don't think they do.

Just because you live in a foreign country and different culture does not mean that you should adapt 100% to that culture.

If my wife (Thai) went to live in England she would not try to be as English as possible, she would be a Thai person living in England. I would have to try and get Thai food for her, try and find Thai friends for her, find a Thai temple for her.

So I don't think Asian's do go west and act 100% west. Hence you have Chinatown in NY or London. They started because the Chinese kept some of their culture with them.

What gets me is some posters who accept Thai style everything and compain about tourists and farangs, when that is what they are. They just appear to have lost some of their identity. However reading the responses on this thread I now think it is a very small number (smaller than I thought) that have actually done this. Most I think try and keep as many western parts of their lives with them.

I agree that using the term "going native" = "adopting" 100% thai culture to the detriment of ones own culture however I disagree with the OP's original reference to meaning people who go out from city centres or leaving western conveniences. There has been enough posts already to explain why that statement is incorrect and also why people "choose" country life over city life. Being in Samui, I can understand why your observations are as they are, but I suspect a similar attitude could be derived from anyone staying near Khao San Road. At the end of the day, I agree with your point about people who choose to lose their identity and it grates on my nerves just as much as I suspect that it does on yours. But these are the people who deserve the focus of this thread and the title of "going native" not the farang that chooses a different pace of life.

In life there are always extremes as well as some people who just lose the plot...Everybody has to accept some of the cultural norms if they are to avoid social outcasting. As a small example, your wife while in England when visiting other people etc would not remove her shoes before entering a house (not 100% sure about that, but definitely in Aus). So while she is still being thai a you say, she is modifying her actions to the norms of the culture she is in - as would be expected. Also as another small example, over time she would probably reduce her usage of giving people a wai in greeting them. These may seem small examples, but they are examples of the effect of social conditioning. My point? Extremes = bad, following social norms is inevitable if one is to fit in.

It would be interesting to compare the background of people who move to the country and find out whether their working life was in a high stress profession or have an ag background.

Only the ones with no pride would go native.

Please elaborate

As 'going native' means really adopting (often to the extreme) the local 'traditional' ways and customs, I'm not referring to living in a village or on a farm. I would have no problem with that. Infact if I didn't have a job in BKK now my wife and I would most likely have relocated to one of our farms in a province to handle the growth of products, together with bike, horse and rifle. :o

Aaaanyway...going native is more those that dress like farmers et al, i.e. emulating [lower class] Thai's in some form of backwards pride of being as 'much as the local population as possible', including never using air conditioner when sleeping, not eating western food in restaurants and so on. I would say that this kind of behavior would indicate a mental problem.

And then we have a gradual scale between this extreme and those that are just doing it partially. I would however never 'give up' my own personality to emulate the people around me...

Edited by TAWP

Aaaanyway...going native is more those that dress like farmers et al, i.e. emulating [lower class] Thai's in some form of backwards pride of being as 'much as the local population as possible', including never using air conditioner when sleeping, not eating western food in restaurants and so on. I would say that this kind of behavior would indicate a mental problem.

I live in a small village up north. I don't dress like a farmer but I don't have any air-conditionner (it's too expensive, it makes me sick and after 20 years, my body is now accustomed to the heat). I don't eat western food more than twice a year. I love Chiang Mai and Isaan cuisines (my GF is a he_ll of a cook). Right now, I'm having some Laap Isaan. I'm not emulating anybody, I just live the way I like.

Until today, I didn't know I had a mental problem.

Edited by adjan jb

I am not saying you don't so don't think that I am.

But - you eat Thai food everyday apart from 1 or 2 times a year? How can anyone, as much as they enjoy Thai food just eat Thai without wishing to explore other food options, be it Western or anything else? If you lived in England would you just eat English food apart from 1 or 2 times a year? For me that is just not a natural thing to do.

Just does not seem natural to me that someone could adventure to live where you do (not sure where you can from originally but I guess you traveled far) and not want to retain more of where they have come from.

I got up early and tinkered with the bike for a while then I drove the mrs into the woods and we went down to the river for a while, she came back with a load of mushrooms and veggies from the river bank and is across the road having some kind of Thai curry whilst I write this waiting for the oven to warm up so i can have egg and chips, Nice!

But - you eat Thai food everyday apart from 1 or 2 times a year? How can anyone, as much as they enjoy Thai food just eat Thai without wishing to explore other food options, be it Western or anything else? If you lived in England would you just eat English food apart from 1 or 2 times a year? For me that is just not a natural thing to do.

Just does not seem natural to me that someone could adventure to live where you do (not sure where you can from originally but I guess you traveled far) and not want to retain more of where they have come from.

Well I'm French.

When I lived in downtown Chiang Mai, I used to eat Japanese, Indian and Vietnamese food a few times/month or a (genuine) pizza once in a while.

When it comes to food, England is a bad example. Actually, I've been to England quite a few times and apart from the wonderful breakfast, I don't like their food. English cuisine is an oxymoron. Fortunately London (that I like very much) is full of great foreign restaurants (Chinese and Indian restaurants being my favourites).

I could cook French food here at home but under this climate, I find it difficult to digest. Eating Thai food in Thailand seems like the natural thing to do.

Reason for edit: I forgot to mention that, sometimes, I cook what I call fusion food. I improvise a dish with the ingredients I find in the kitchen or the ones I grow in my garden. It has no nationality (though it always has a strong Asian flavour). As I'm not a bad cook myself, it's usually good.

Edited by adjan jb

Well I'm French.

When I lived in downtown Chiang Mai, I used to eat Japanese, Indian and Vietnamese food a few times/month or a (genuine) pizza once in a while.

When it comes to food, England is a bad example. Actually, I've been to England quite a few times and apart from the wonderful breakfast, I don't like their food. English cuisine is an oxymoron. Fortunately London (that I like very much) is full of great foreign restaurants (Chinese and Indian restaurants being my favourites).

I could cook French food here at home but under this climate, I find it difficult to digest. Eating Thai food in Thailand seems like the natural thing to do.

Well if you can't digest it then I guess you have a reason.

But I will admit I find it a little sad that you have had to give up so many foods that you like to just eat Thai food.

i certainly can't speak local dialects, I can only read/speak "Bangkok Thai"...but when i have driven to corners of the country, i have realised via observation that lack of thai language skills would certainly be an issue in the sticks, unlike in a big city like Bangkok where you can get by with English if you had to.

therefore I think it would be vital for someone who does live rurally to master the local lingo.

I can do the following:-

Order food and drink, buy a newspaper (English version), buy food from the market (I invariably point), pay my bills, use an ATM, drive a bike/car, order a taxi, travel on a bus, shop at 7/11.

All this in the boonies with a VERY limited Thai vocabulary.

pointing at food must be very satisfying for you.

I live in a small village up north. I don't dress like a farmer but I don't have any air-conditionner (it's too expensive, it makes me sick and after 20 years, my body is now accustomed to the heat). I don't eat western food more than twice a year. I love Chiang Mai and Isaan cuisines (my GF is a he_ll of a cook). Right now, I'm having some Laap Isaan. I'm not emulating anybody, I just live the way I like.

If your goal isn't to 'go native' and emulate them to the highest extent, then you aren't the target of my post.

Doing what you like isn't the same thing, even if the outcome would coincide.

Nothing wrong in eating thai food every day???

I live in Pattaya and think its sad when some expats talk about eating chips and beans or a beefburger at md,now thats sick.

The odd time i can eat an english breakfast of beef stew,or indian food but thai food is number one for me.

Nothing wrong in eating thai food every day???

I live in Pattaya and think its sad when some expats talk about eating chips and beans or a beefburger at md,now thats sick.

The odd time i can eat an english breakfast of beef stew,or indian food but thai food is number one for me.

In the Chiang Mai forum, we have a "burger & pizza brigade". They're fat and pathetic.

That's plain wrong, living in Bangkok is twice as expensive as living in a village.

Here in the boon docks I watch the rice grow, no way I could survive on just doing that when I hit Bangkok for a few days :o

:o Guess it's in what you define as "Going Native".

I am right now in a Thai house out near Don Mueng. In a Thai housing area, basically a Moo Banh

I can walk down the strret to get a bowl of noodle soup, or a plate of sliced mango, or a plate of Fried Rice with Shrimp.

Coconut juice if I'm thirsty.

But I have the internet in my house, and can watch CNN or BBC news on the cable.

It's about as native as I want to get, I wear shower shoes (flip-flops) outside and even to the supermarket.

If I want to, good upper end restaurants are within 5 minutes by car.

Seafood and Sushi places are even closer. Pepsi and Coke too.

I have an air-conditioner in my bedroom, and 2 sit down (not squatter) toilets in the house. Hot water heater in the bathroom for showers too.

But if I want to, I can go sit on a stone bench about 30 meters away, and drink a cold beer anytime of the day, and watch the Thai girls walk by.

It's "Native" enough for me, and I feel no need for the "Farang" scene.

Like the Thai bar girls say,...."Up to You".

:D

:o Guess it's in what you define as "Going Native".

I am right now in a Thai house out near Don Mueng. In a Thai housing area, basically a Moo Banh

I can walk down the strret to get a bowl of noodle soup, or a plate of sliced mango, or a plate of Fried Rice with Shrimp.

Coconut juice if I'm thirsty.

But I have the internet in my house, and can watch CNN or BBC news on the cable.

It's about as native as I want to get, I wear shower shoes (flip-flops) outside and even to the supermarket.

If I want to, good upper end restaurants are within 5 minutes by car.

Seafood and Sushi places are even closer. Pepsi and Coke too.

I have an air-conditioner in my bedroom, and 2 sit down (not squatter) toilets in the house. Hot water heater in the bathroom for showers too.

But if I want to, I can go sit on a stone bench about 30 meters away, and drink a cold beer anytime of the day, and watch the Thai girls walk by.

It's "Native" enough for me, and I feel no need for the "Farang" scene.

Like the Thai bar girls say,...."Up to You".

:D

All good but to be truly native, you must pull up your t-shirt exposing your gut in the hot weather...although the flip flops are a good start.

pointing at food must be very satisfying for you.

Certainly is - it cures my hunger.

It is particularly satisfying when I can point at the Khao pad gai, Nua pad krapaw, bplah neung manao or kuitiaw naam.

The Thais even point as well - it helps to avoid cocking up the order.

Now, what was your point :o

Edited by Chaimai

A few weeks back my wife who does the temple days thing every week, ie taking food to the monks, informs me that there is an English bloke in the temple and I should go and have a chat!!

Well I haven't been as I use TV for all my info :o

My Inlaws live way up north & when I visit I am the only non Thai in that area.

It is fun in many ways. The way folks nearly fall off their scooters when they see me.

Everyone there is very nice.

But other than that I wonder when I stay there if I could actually live there full time or not.

I come from a rural area so prefer quiet space. Yet even though these areas here where they live are far removed from large town like settings they do in fact live in very tight quarters. Even with all the land available they live on tight dusty little streets with the homes pretty much looking into each other. I do not think I could do it. When I sleep there I am always half awake.

Yet I do not like the areas like Chiang Mai much anymore due to the excessive traffic & crowds everywhere. Yes it is great having access to places like the cinema & the large stores & many eating places but it is all just too much.

My Inlaws live way up north & when I visit I am the only non Thai in that area.

It is fun in many ways. The way folks nearly fall off their scooters when they see me.

Everyone there is very nice.

But other than that I wonder when I stay there if I could actually live there full time or not.

I come from a rural area so prefer quiet space. Yet even though these areas here where they live are far removed from large town like settings they do in fact live in very tight quarters. Even with all the land available they live on tight dusty little streets with the homes pretty much looking into each other. I do not think I could do it. When I sleep there I am always half awake.

Yet I do not like the areas like Chiang Mai much anymore due to the excessive traffic & crowds everywhere. Yes it is great having access to places like the cinema & the large stores & many eating places but it is all just too much.

Just do what some farang did near(ish) my GF's home. Buy (or be given) a plod of rice land in the middle of rice paddies, build what I would guess to be about a 3mil home (or quite possibly more) and be away from the neighbours so to speak. The biggest thing I could be critical of is that the dirt road is crap and I certainly wouldn't want to be using it every day. If he fixes his road in and out, then I suppose I would ask him why he built a 3mil+ house in the middle of rice paddies :o