Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

maybe im hi-so but i always get complete respect by police or anyone else everywhere i go. my wife needed a paper from the police station in our city and while we were there the chief of police went out of his way to find me and shake my hand.

could be my mercedes and nice clothes, or it could be that i give everyone in this country the utmost respect and a big smile.

being rude to someone in their own country shouldn't be tolerated.

" I always get the upmost respect".......do you really think so? you must be from UK, i love the humor

I love TV for people such as this

throwing a man, a human being ,in jail for this offence......????

do you think it does?

or wanting to following this sillyness trying to equate what you think is "respect" ( is is not, they most likely think you are a twit- i do wonder why) has no bearing on this issue

none ,zero..

anyway getting away from the elistest in nice cars does anyone know the status of this poor man?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly an ignorant bigoted comment.

If he receives 2 years, you should receive at least the same.

Hopefully they'll put you in together.

:o

Chuck Norris' personal code rule number 8. I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.

Chuck Norris' personal code rule number 4. I will look for the good in all people and make them feel worthwhile.

Chuck Norris' personal code rule number 5. If I have nothing good to say about a person, I will say nothing.

does this apply to places like north korea too?

by the way, who is chuck norris? i am guessing a yank who as written a self help guide

great prgress, well done

mmm, well done.......then i am sure he and you would be most welcome thse dictators love sheep like this

Chuck Norris is a Jesus freak Yank married to Gena O'Kelley, born in 1963 and 23 years Norris' junior.

He has a son from his first marrage and daughter from his piece on the side.

So his daughter and son are older than his wife.

He does not believe in the theory of evolution and supports gun rights and ownership.

Came to prominence for being a crap actor in Karate films.

It could be argued that it should apply here on Thai Visa, but, clearly you disagree; as neverdie spotted, you are using two alias' valentinob29 & ourmaninbangers - perhaps it's time our hosts addressed this?

Chuck Norris' personal code rule number 8. I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Funny that I saw a 2006 doc on my satellite receiver last night re Brussels airport.

Immigration officers caught an Afgan man trying to ENTER Belgium holding a fake Italian passport.

He was interrogated and clearly talked bullshit about his motives. He was under way to Dublin however and was told he could not travel there because of carrying a false passport. He then invoked article 9 (???) to be allowed to stay in Belgium, being unable to travel anywhere because he could not use his plane ticket to travel further. Immigration officers contacted their ministry and got a fax in return a few hours down the road:

The man was refused authorisation to stay, but based on that article 9 they gave him 5 days of freedom to leave the country.

It was not know to the reporters nor the immigration service if the man stayed illegally or left the country within these 5 days.

And in this case our man Simon was trying to LEAVE Thailand, what a bunch of ****

In oder for me to give respect to others they should show respect. Agressive, shouting and rude officials are usually those with minor rank.

The best way to interact with them is be just be quiet and answer their questions, they thrive on any sort of adversity.

You do not have to show disrespect, but you do not have to do all the bowing and scraping.

But it comes down to is it right to lock a man up for 2 years for being rude ?

No. There are far worse crimes.

Reminds me of a scene in 12 angry men.

"I'll kill you! I'll kill you!"

"You don't really mean you'll kill me"

Ernest

I wonder how so many can have such a strong opinion about what happened, what is right and what is wrong, even when you were not there? How do you do it?

It's not just about Simon Burrowes is it? It's the battle between those who share completely different values in life. The liberals, do-gooders & PC correct see him as a martyr to their cause, yet for such as myself, it's a classic scenario of the UK street yob thinking he can say & do whatever he likes without any fear of authority.

Or perhaps it is the vicarious conflict between those posturing their sanctimonious claptrap from the moral high ground of their assumed superiority and the rest of us mere mortals more rooted in the reality of modern life unencumbered by the burden of bitterness, prejudice and stupidity?

Say what? :D :D :o

What is wrong:

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine ( they don't check? so if him cannot contact the embassy him stay in jail for many years because they think the passport is a fake?)

Burrowes was later charged with ‘rude and aggressive behaviour’ towards an immigration officer( i neevr see an official smile to me or to nobody and one time on wrong whit my visa the excuse was: new rules! you cannot know. When one supervisor change for him the date him refuse to say which was the...new rules. No smile no Sorry.)

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre( him now pay for to be rude...ok, who pay for the trouble of 3 weeks in jail and a fly lost whit a GENUINE PASSPORT?....nobody.)

So sorry thailand but you, now, pay for trouble that you give to tourist and "farang live in thailand.....i was in airport 31 march....in last past 9 yrs immigration was full and for get a visa you must to lose 1 or 2 hours....now EMPTY. 5 farang, and other only thai arrive that day.

I check the time table ...at same time of mine had 8 fly from europe.....bye bye thailand forget the big money from us.

It could be argued that it should apply here on Thai Visa, but, clearly you disagree; as neverdie spotted, you are using two alias' valentinob29 & ourmaninbangers - perhaps it's time our hosts addressed this?

ahh little man has to run to mama when he is shown up..mmm poor little thing

shame on you, you are a disgrace a true sheep

and what bad sense of noting the details, you spotted only two alias?, any more? any proof?

answer- no, none

so please sit down shut up crying like a child and look at this

this has ZERO to do with anything

can you gentleman get out of your nappys and address this subject?

a poor man lays in jail, are we happy with this? is this good? right? etc

is that how you deal with people when you disargree- run to mummy, forget the poor man sufferings

its pathetic- what happened to human rights and men of substance

we are lost

does anyone know any updates of this poor man please

oh, and for those who say that UK ( along with USA and some others) does not still rule the world a little fact- The Queen owns 6million 600 hundred acres of land

and Her personal assets are apx 17-600-000-000

What they want they get- it is that simple- not right but true

off to tell mummy some nasty men said nasty things

lets hope that poor man is feed soon

Chuck Norris is a Jesus freak Yank married to Gena O'Kelley, born in 1963 and 23 years Norris' junior.

He has a son from his first marrage and daughter from his piece on the side.

So his daughter and son are older than his wife.

He does not believe in the theory of evolution and supports gun rights and ownership.

Came to prominence for being a crap actor in Karate films.

oh nooooooooooo

please do not tell me the sheep are talking about and taking moral guidance from that man bruce lee beats up in movies

and who makes those appaling trashy how not to act kung fuey flicks

my Godness they are so,,,,,, truly , I am lost for words here,neverdie darling, can you help?

it is so funny ,no?

also tragic, truly sad and scarey

is that who we now turn to for moral guidance? really? I got to stop taking something, I do think I am dreaming

to call them " crap" is an insult to all crap films

my God people, the year 2009, a man in jail for being "rude" ( no coincedence this man was black was there? oh no it was not, like it or not blacks and others still get the shit end of the stick especailly in asia which is far more racist the the west- this is simply disgusting)

and we turn to a beefed up z - movie actor who believes in talking snakes (and it seems young poontang like many born agains)for the low down on how to run our lives-

well, I rest my case

off to contempate suicide

or check out the landoverbaptist website

There are now A4 paper signs up in Bangkok airport warning of jail sentences up to one year for insulting behaviour towards officials.

I didn't want to incur their wrath so I didn't bother with a photo.

In light of this action by Thailand's immigration, I think all embassies should put Thailand on their list of places to avoid directly because of this. It should be highlighted that, regardless of civil unrest in the realm, the fact is, travellers (whether for business or for pleasure) are at the mercy of the whims of a gang of brown shirted thugs!

I would go one step further: issue a decree that if travelers insist on visiting Thailand they should sign a waiver of protection from their embassy in the event of a repeat of Simon's scenario. I accept that according to the information on this forum, Simon was abandoned by the British embassy for days before they verified the legality of his passport. Having said that, the brown shirted thugs kept him confined in quarters unsuitable for humans to the tune of 11 days!! Thus it should be made abundantly clear: come at your own peril as no-one can guarantee your safety from instant arrest which could translate into years of prison; in the harshest of climates and levels of comfort or worse, at the whim of anyone with the power to do so!

It is about time the international diplomatic community stepped up and acted on behalf of the world's citizens. This action should be condemmed at the highest levels and if that means banning the issue of travel documents and visas to Thailand (unless under extenuating circumstances such as a long term resident/expat etc) then so be it. It appears that Thailand is only influenced by money and any adverse effects on their ability to amass tourist dollars. Therefore, I say, cut-off their supply until they put their house in order and provide safe passage for travellers through their gateways.

I totally agree , at last a post which addresses the matter

Funny that I saw a 2006 doc on my satellite receiver last night re Brussels airport.

Immigration officers caught an Afgan man trying to ENTER Belgium holding a fake Italian passport.

He was interrogated and clearly talked bullshit about his motives. He was under way to Dublin however and was told he could not travel there because of carrying a false passport. He then invoked article 9 (???) to be allowed to stay in Belgium, being unable to travel anywhere because he could not use his plane ticket to travel further. Immigration officers contacted their ministry and got a fax in return a few hours down the road:

The man was refused authorisation to stay, but based on that article 9 they gave him 5 days of freedom to leave the country.

It was not know to the reporters nor the immigration service if the man stayed illegally or left the country within these 5 days.

And in this case our man Simon was trying to LEAVE Thailand, what a bunch of ****

Very Good Point WELL DONE mate

"All and all I still find that Thai immigration is the most ineffective and unfriendly I have been able to find in Asia"

The Thai immigration are certainly not ineffective when it comes to catching people and extorting money.

But they are the most Unfriendly people I have ever had to deal with.

Yes your right mate,they have small brains and massive egos,very unprofessional,without tourism Thailand will fall flat on it's face. Very disappointed with the British Council.

"All and all I still find that Thai immigration is the most ineffective and unfriendly I have been able to find in Asia"

The Thai immigration are certainly not ineffective when it comes to catching people and extorting money.

Yes your right mate,they have small brains and massive egos,very unprofessional,without tourism Thailand will fall flat on it's face. Very disappointed with the British Council.

please- what does UK council have to do with this?

do you not mean UK embassy?

any news on this poor man?

the poster obviously meant british consul or embassy. no need to nitpick surely.

the underlying point is that, wrongly in my view, the embassy's agenda is influenced by having to keep on the right side of thailand.

the poster obviously meant british consul or embassy. no need to nitpick surely.

the underlying point is that, wrongly in my view, the embassy's agenda is influenced by having to keep on the right side of thailand.

sorry,it is not obvious for those who like details and who enlish is not first

but i understand

i was the confuse as i only read some of story and i thought maybe it was something i do miss about past as i have friends whoi do not know like he work there or something

, but i agree that is their motivation and thats fine so long as one ensures basic human rights for it peoples

all people

this man is in jail because we allow it- we should not

the west could stop it in second,s

but no- money making ventures are more important than human laying unfaily in a thai jail

are we happy with this

any news on this poor man

where is he now? any address please?

If you tell an immigration officer to f...k o.. in Singapore, Indonsia, Malaysia or even in Western countries, you can have a lot of trouble too. Singapore would gives you one year but all would jail you and deny bail in you have nmo local residency or can't afford a hotel or apartment during that time.

I feel not at all sorry with people that explode and he can be happy that he actually was out on bail.

I have been living and visiting Thailand for 23 years and never had a problem. Of course I too was at times pi..ed with paperwork etc. when dealing with Thai immigration but i prefer to smile and never loose my temper.

The person who would like to bash now Dubai by linking this case to Dubai. I love Dubai and even Sharjah more and every country has laws. If a UN personal brings in narcotics seeds he should be jailed, if he is that stupid. I know a lot of UN personal's that like to get stoned too so you have a law for everyone.

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Tool! How can being rude possibly justify a prison term. My guess is your one of those old b'stards always pointing a finger at anyone younger than 30. Like I said.....tool!

looks guys..Stop arguing.

Apparently he got his passport lost once before holidaying in

Australia. He does have much money on him i think and produced a old passport sized photo to his embassy in that area. That photo was old and he appeared shirtless. Somehow his embassy in Australia accepted it and stamped a new passport for him.

So one thing leads to another..And there your truth.

mm.. the only time i have problem with immigration officers are when i landed in New York last May. I was going there for work and have all the complete documents as well as letters stating the reason of my visits to the USA from my company in the USA plus legal letter stating that my company will take care of all my expenses while on my trip of 2 weeks. Keep in mind i have 10 years USA Visa on my passport. When i reach the immigration counter, i was ordered to go to another counter. Thinking that i do HAVE all the complete documents and letters, i should be okay. When i reach the other counter and i handed my passport and all documents, i was asked a question "where i came from?" so i answer "Bangkok". Then he was asking a few more random question and i was getting confused and begin to ask ~politely~ is there is anything wrong with my passport.. i was imediately told to shut-up. Im a malaysian and am holding a malaysian passport. Then the situation started to get a lil' weird. He was looking/ reading the letters and then make comends like "how can someone like you get an all expenses paid trip?" "with all expenses paid .. can i get everything paid by my company?" .. "i shoukd get some "ladies" and expense it".. and everything time i tried to say something he would put his fingers on his mouth to show me to keep my mouth shut. Then he asked which hotel i was staying and i say "Hilton" he then turn to his colleuge and shout "this b*****d is staying at Hillton" and then ask me do i know Paris Hilton? I was shocked beyond words on these questions!! I mean what does it have to do if i know who she is and or in order to go thru immigration. Its insane. Then he proceed to ask me to speak Arabian to him. I was shocked! I'm chinese and it is stated in my passport that i'm chinese! I cant speak arabian. I was then ask to fill in some forms and told to go stand behind the long line again ~ when i reach him again, he started to ask me again about the "expenses that my company would pay for me " and so i say, on the legal letter is the name of our lawyer, we can call him up and he can explain everything to you. He keep quiet and ask me to go into another room to get the rest of my passport process. What i'm trying to say is.. it is important to keep your cool and make sure that you have all the complete documents. I am sure glad the legal department of my company give me a letter of invitation to the USA!! Or else i might spend the whole day at that counter or even worst .. jailed!

mm.. the only time i have problem with immigration officers are when i landed in New York last May. I was going there for work and have all the complete documents as well as letters stating the reason of my visits to the USA from my company in the USA plus legal letter stating that my company will take care of all my expenses while on my trip of 2 weeks. Keep in mind i have 10 years USA Visa on my passport. When i reach the immigration counter, i was ordered to go to another counter. Thinking that i do HAVE all the complete documents and letters, i should be okay. When i reach the other counter and i handed my passport and all documents, i was asked a question "where i came from?" so i answer "Bangkok". Then he was asking a few more random question and i was getting confused and begin to ask ~politely~ is there is anything wrong with my passport.. i was imediately told to shut-up. Im a malaysian and am holding a malaysian passport. Then the situation started to get a lil' weird. He was looking/ reading the letters and then make comends like "how can someone like you get an all expenses paid trip?" "with all expenses paid .. can i get everything paid by my company?" .. "i shoukd get some "ladies" and expense it".. and everything time i tried to say something he would put his fingers on his mouth to show me to keep my mouth shut. Then he asked which hotel i was staying and i say "Hilton" he then turn to his colleuge and shout "this b*****d is staying at Hillton" and then ask me do i know Paris Hilton? I was shocked beyond words on these questions!! I mean what does it have to do if i know who she is and or in order to go thru immigration. Its insane. Then he proceed to ask me to speak Arabian to him. I was shocked! I'm chinese and it is stated in my passport that i'm chinese! I cant speak arabian. I was then ask to fill in some forms and told to go stand behind the long line again ~ when i reach him again, he started to ask me again about the "expenses that my company would pay for me " and so i say, on the legal letter is the name of our lawyer, we can call him up and he can explain everything to you. He keep quiet and ask me to go into another room to get the rest of my passport process. What i'm trying to say is.. it is important to keep your cool and make sure that you have all the complete documents. I am sure glad the legal department of my company give me a letter of invitation to the USA!! Or else i might spend the whole day at that counter or even worst .. jailed!

If this is true and he had called me "bastard" and there was a security camera in the room I would have flown across the counter and started pounding his face. Let them explain why I got enraged when the camera shows him calling travellers names. I'd gladly take a beating and some jail time to get it all sorted and out in the public. But I'm a little crazy like that.

I flew to Hong Kong on the 10th, and as I was in line at Suwanapoom immigration line, they were exhibiting a paper which said that insulting an immigration officer carries a 1 year jail sentence and/or fine, and assaulting an immigration office carries a two year jail sentence and/or fine.

In the other thread in the Phuket forum the story states that his photo in his passport was of him not wearing a shirt, which seemed suspicious to the immigration officer.

Maybe it was a black shirt?

Seriously, when could someone ever submit a passport picture with no shirt. Impossble.

Does anyone here have access to his Facebook Page, as he may tell a different version of events through there

He has to approve you as a "friend" in order to see his page... I've asked... Just hope he doesn't shout "<deleted>*K You!" and snatch back my "friend request" out of my hand.

Nice! Good sense of humor...like it!

Oh yea, when you are a guest in another country, your rules and values don't apply. If you don't like the local rules and values.........change your locality.

Regards

If this is true and he had called me "bastard" and there was a security camera in the room I would have flown across the counter and started pounding his face. Let them explain why I got enraged when the camera shows him calling travellers names. I'd gladly take a beating and some jail time to get it all sorted and out in the public. But I'm a little crazy like that.

What a fairy land some people live in.

Firstly, no court would deem physical retaliation to a verbal insult as justifiable. One is an insult, the other is assault.

Secondly, if the video record of the incident ever made it to court it would only show an unprovoked attack on government officials.

You need to wise up. Your views will eventually get you into trouble. But then again, you'll have the opportunity to assess the results of your actions for real.

What's with some people's reaction to name calling ? Most people outgrow this in kindergarten.

Edited by sibeymai

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Every time you mentioned Dubai,what you have against Dubai.I haave ben there many times nver had a problem.Maybe it depends on the passport.

Because Dubai is evil, and they routinely detain and put people in jail for the stupidest of things, a few good examples would be the UN official who was arrested for having poppy seeds which he had the paper work to be transporting from Afganistan (part of a UN mandate to stop the drug trafficking in that area). He was given 4 years even after the UN cleared it up, or the UK teen who last year was blood tested and found to have trace amounts of drugs in his system and he was also given 4 years. Maybe because Dubai also like to put people in prison for prescription medicines which their laws happen to be slightly different about, and by the way everyone gets 4 years... every time. Dubai sucks.

Your full of it. You sound exactly like my ex-wife. SHe would not come hereeither and I am glad that both of you dont!

And if I am lucky enough you stay out of Thailand - WOW! Our lucky dya.

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Dubai is not a country you thick, ignorant (British?) idiot.

:o:D:D:D Thank god I am English,but well said. You made me smile now for the rest of the day.