Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

I have the info but I'm damned if I'll post it here.

Let's just say a very kind family have been taking care of him in BKK.

The only good thing about this topic is that it clearly showed up who the morons on Thai Visa.

As I've said before, stick to copying and pasting your news droppings, when you stray off that, you just make a fool of yourself.

I'll include LawnGnome in that lot too.

Good to see that the fine made a fool of the Immi official.

At last, some commonsense prevailed. :)

Hey Gungadin and good one.

You are spot on !

Philw

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, at least after 1,075 posts... we can put this aspect of the issue to rest as its established that Mr Burrowes was rude to an immigration official.

Mr Burrowes

opted to plead guilty.

The charge was that he spoke impolitely to an official.

I have the info but I'm damned if I'll post it here.

Let's just say a very kind family have been taking care of him in BKK

< additional flaming snipped >

I'll include[/b] LawnGnome in that lot too.

At last, some commonsense prevailed. :o

Reason for edit: Flaming removed

tut..tut... no need for such inflammatory, overly personal replies. These are all just opinions, afterall.

I do think that Immigration got their point across to him and knew well ahead that the likely outcome would be a fine. It was the same assumption I had that, despite all the hoopla posting about two year sentence (from both the proponents of harsh punishment and those completely against any punishment and thus excusing of his actions entirely), that seemed to me to be highly unlikely and that some relatively trivial punishment would be the likely outcome.

At the end of the day, I think he's learned his lesson... and for that he'll be a better world traveler for it. He got want he wanted (out of Thailand and no jail) and Immigration got what they wanted (to make a point to remind people not to be overly rude with them).

Edited by sriracha john

This guy is a one-man crime wave...

Gawd help us! :o

You personalised that infantile comment about Burrowes, so I personalised my comment to you.

It's called tit for tat.

He's not in a position to respond to you....... yet.

Note: to the mod who edited my post & the word "&lt;deleted&gt;"

Put your name next to the edit in future as most experienced mods do.

Have a nice day. :D

This guy is a one-man crime wave...

Gawd help us! :o

You personalised that infantile comment about Burrowes, so I personalised my comment to you.

NEWS FLASH... the rules for discussing non-members are very different than for discussing members.

It's called tit for tat.

He's not in a position to respond to you....... yet.

and neither are you with another member

Note: to the mod who edited my post & the word "&lt;deleted&gt;"

Put your name next to the edit in future as most experienced mods do.

Taking on the mods now?

I do think that Immigration got their point across to him and knew well ahead that the likely outcome would be a fine.

Then why not fine him on the spot, save him from three weeks in the snake pit, and let him board his flight. You know no such thing and nobody knows what would have happened if this case had not made the press.

I do think that Immigration got their point across to him and knew well ahead that the likely outcome would be a fine.

Then why not fine him on the spot, save him from three weeks in the snake pit, and let him board his flight. You know no such thing and nobody knows what would have happened if this case had not made the press.............

.........or if he had pleaded not guilty :o

Then why not fine him on the spot, save him from three weeks in the snake pit, and let him board his flight. You know no such thing and nobody knows what would have happened if this case had not made the press.

As I recall, and I just can't be ar5ed wading back through 1000+ replies to check, at the time he lost his cool they were still dealing with a suspect passport case. The abusive language rap only crept in after the passport question was sorted out. Therefore he'd already missed his flight and the die was cast for the ensuing saga.

Anyhow, good that it is resolved now, at least in terms of the jail sentence threat. Obviously there are financial repercussions that he will have to straighten out.

As I recall, and I just can't be ar5ed wading back through 1000+ replies to check, at the time he lost his cool they were still dealing with a suspect passport case.

That's true. The die was cast when they singled him out as a black man and questioned his passport, and then the wheels of injustice started turning. But if he is really on overstay, his saga here is not over.

I can see it now He turns up At Swampy for his Flight

"PASSPORT" He hands it to Imigration Official

You are on Overstay Mr Borrows That will be 10.000 Baht

F@@k off You Wa@@ker its your Pi@@sing fault I am here

"Mr Borrows Please read the Notice I will now have to arrest you" (Act 2 ) scene (1)

We could get to post 2000 Easy Peesie.

I can't help but feel that those of you ridiculous enough to say he deserves to be jailed for 2 years are absolutely racist and a step away from joining the KKK. Excuse me but YOU wouldn't be upset to be forced to MISS YOUR PLANE for absolutely no reason? All you need to do is raise your voice a bit in this country and YOU BAD MAN! Since when is being jusitifiably upset a JAILABLE offence in any country?! Some of you are so blatantly racist or just plain stupid it's sad.

Please look at Simon Burrowes facebook as earlier shown (I am not allowed to post the URL here apparently for some reason). I notice that Simon is a fan of a number of people, all of which are 'Black' (I DO hate using that term, sorry to offend anyone). Although politically incorrect, one may begin to think that maybe I am not racist, but that Simon is - he doesn't have any non-black male friends either. I am white and live in New Zealand, I have many Indian, African, Thai, Chinese and Japanese friends. Perhaps (I know, just an assumption) Simon is one of these fellows that sees Asian people as people a level below themselves (yes, we've all come across these sorts of people).

Or perhaps, he was a victim of rude customs staff just like others I have read about, and I was too. My situation involved a customs officer checking my passport and screaming at me because I had not filled out the departure slip (too bad I didn't have a pen, and none were provided pre-check). Simply asking the officer to speak to her supervisor so that I could make a complaint about her customer service approach changed her attitude a long way. Perhaps as earlier stated by another it was Simons approach that got him into problems, rather than the fact that he challenged the situation in the first place.

My apologies if I have offended anyone.

So he's been in Bangkok for most of the time since he's been released? What's he been doing? Supporting himself? Is this a work permit violation situation in addition to his overstay issue now cropping up? This guy is a one-man crime wave... :unsure:

Why oh why would you post such a thing!? Why not just add to your fantasy and say hes been in Bangkok murdering and robbing Thai people? SERIOUSLY, what is wrong with you? Crime wave... loses temper, and then in your fantasy works without a work permit, a hardened criminal on a crime wave spree, I would LOL but your silly attitude is no longer funny!

Please look at Simon Burrowes facebook as earlier shown (I am not allowed to post the URL here apparently for some reason). I notice that Simon is a fan of a number of people, all of which are 'Black' (I DO hate using that term, sorry to offend anyone). Although politically incorrect, one may begin to think that maybe I am not racist, but that Simon is - he doesn't have any non-black male friends either. I am white and live in New Zealand, I have many Indian, African, Thai, Chinese and Japanese friends. Perhaps (I know, just an assumption) Simon is one of these fellows that sees Asian people as people a level below themselves (yes, we've all come across these sorts of people).

You don't even know that BLACK is not a derogatory term? lol. What exactly are they called then? White challenged?! And then you go on to tell us all about Simons bad personality because his friends on a social networking site are black..... &lt;deleted&gt;?!

I can see it now He turns up At Swampy for his Flight

"PASSPORT" He hands it to Imigration Official

You are on Overstay Mr Borrows That will be 10.000 Baht

F@@k off You Wa@@ker its your Pi@@sing fault I am here

"Mr Borrows Please read the Notice I will now have to arrest you" (Act 2 ) scene (1)

We could get to post 2000 Easy Peesie.

:o

thank goodness that poor man was freed

and for someone called john who said the immegration got what they wanted...???

ha ha ha

they were odered by mummy and daddy west to sit like dogs when barking too loud and did

HUGE FACE LOSE for those who love this nonsense

and lesson....- here it is

welcome to the place that lets you off something you never should of gone to jail for when you

1- are from the west

2- have some$$$

3- know the right people

kisses

That made me laugh with the guy being african :D

He's British, not "African". I am aware of Africa as a continent, but not as a nationality. Likewise, I am aware that many people who hail from the continent might be of either black, Asian, Arabic, oriental or white appearance.

I concur with "Electra" that the catalyst was the couldn't-care-less attitude of the embassy official who didn't want to delay his early dart on a Friday.

In response to the previous poster who suggests that it is of no concern to the Thai authorities that someone is trying to leave on a potentially forged/counterfeit document, I would only say that s/he has little understanding of the way these things truly work. If a document were to be either forged or counterfeit, and this were to be detected by the UK immigration authorities, the holder would be on a flight straight back to Thailand, whereupon it would be the Thai authorities' problem. They may as well deal with a perceived problem at source, rather than a day later.

Unfortunately, as already established, it was the British embassy bloke who created the whole problem.

SNAFU!

Absolutely, the British Embassy 'civil servant' should be held accountable and in the public eye - not hushed up and swept under the carpet. The man/woman who dealt with this case should declare themself and appologise publicly for putting the life of a British National at such a dire risk - a Thai prison for God's sake! Where is their compassion and shame?

Some may say - 'we only have hearsay to back this up' but the fact is that he spent 3 unecessary days in an absolute hel_l where anything could have happened - rape (it would have to be a pretty big gang) or worse because the British Embassy bloke couldn't be bothered to make this a priority! I seriously hope he/she finds him/herself in need of such immediate assistance and is left swinging in the wind! :o

most at the UK embassy go far and above their call of duty to help what most locals describe as bottom of the foodchain brits.

And on this I have to agree

they can never win can they- but some at least do appricaite their hard efforts when most other countrys let their nationals rot

psssttt......wake up....including this one

So he's been in Bangkok for most of the time since he's been released? What's he been doing? Supporting himself? Is this a work permit violation situation in addition to his overstay issue now cropping up? This guy is a one-man crime wave... :unsure:

Why oh why would you post such a thing!? Why not just add to your fantasy and say hes been in Bangkok murdering and robbing Thai people? SERIOUSLY, what is wrong with you? Crime wave... loses temper, and then in your fantasy works without a work permit, a hardened criminal on a crime wave spree, I would LOL but your silly attitude is no longer funny!

you take it far more seriously then necessary... if you couldn't see the facetiousness with which it was posted, perhaps by the time we get to 2000 posts, you will...

I'll include LawnGnome in that lot too.

At last, some commonsense prevailed. :D

Hey Gungadin and good one.

You are spot on !

Philw

Did someone mention my name? No one important it seems. :o

This is completely false.

Half of the people in Simon's family aren't black. You obviously took a selective look at his friends list.

Would somebody who was a racist travel to the other side of the world to study a martial art originally created by people who weren't from the race that he was?

Please think before you post wild suggestions like that.

The deflection here is amazing - the man's skin colour clearly worked worked against him. One could argue that he was racially discriminated against. And you are somehow managing to accuse him of being a racist?!? WOW!

Sorry, I shouldn't come on here and have a negative first post in a while.

Thanks to all of you that showed support for Simon, and I mean all of you. You guys have been key because a lot of you are actually in Thailand, and have been for a very long time.

Its good to see that British values are still held up by some of us around the world.

This is completely false.

Half of the people in Simon's family aren't black. You obviously took a selective look at his friends list.

Would somebody who was a racist travel to the other side of the world to study a martial art originally created by people who weren't from the race that he was?

Please think before you post wild suggestions like that.

The deflection here is amazing - the man's skin colour clearly worked worked against him. One could argue that he was racially discriminated against. And you are somehow managing to accuse him of being a racist?!? WOW!

Apparently, TheGhostWithin's ghost within is a cracker, lol.

you take it far more seriously then necessary... if you couldn't see the facetiousness with which it was posted, perhaps by the time we get to 2000 posts, you will...

Your facetiousness is not obvious because you OFTEN post like that, criticising and jumping on innocent or good people because of your misinterpretation of events. If mixed in there you are actually doing it on purpose to add some inappropriate humour... well it's going to be hard to notice the difference.

Its good to see that British values are still held up by some of us around the world.

That's funny. Seems to me it was his oversized ego and very large British mouth that landed him in the mess.

Edited by Texpat

Why is it that posts that debate something controversial like Paedophiles in LOS are closed down right away, yet this 1000 odd post slanging match with pretty much no facts whatsoever in it about one of the pettiest crimes someone could be found guilty of have been allowed to go on for so long, with this guys character torn apart on this forum?

That's funny. Seems to me it was his oversized ego and very large British mouth that landed him in the mess.

And he wasn't at all provoked by the professionalism of the immigration staff was he?

best post on this thread was by The Scouser who summed up objectively, based on his experience, on what really happened and why it happened.

Just goes to show that one smart contributor can cut out 45 odd pages of hot air.....pity he didn't post earlier. Would have saved everyone lots of trouble.

Ok, we've had the good news. :D

So, here's the bad news. :o

SB is still in Phuket and Immigration are demanding 20,000 THB for overstaying!!!!

Great news for the Thai tourist industry when that news hits the papers WW tomorrow.

Thai Immi detain you and then fine you....... for overstaying, all is not well.

Just another shot in the foot for Thailand, it's a miracle Thailand can even limp! :D

Source: Sore Throat.

Ok, we've had the good news. :D

So, here's the bad news. :o

SB is still in Phuket and Immigration are demanding 20,000 THB for overstaying!!!!

Great news for the Thai tourist industry when that news hits the papers WW tomorrow.

Thai Immi detain you and then fine you....... for overstaying, all is not well.

Just another shot in the foot for Thailand, it's a miracle Thailand can even limp! :D

Source: Sore Throat.

If Thailand were a centipede they'd have run out of feet to shoot themselves in bluddy years ago. Next they'll be shipping him off to the IDC. In virtually any other major tourist destination country in the world a high ranking minister would have got wind of this PR clusterf**k and been down to Phuket and kicked some a55 big time.