Have You Visited The New Bangkok Contemporary Arts Museum?

LadyHeather

I went in some time late last year, impressed by how much taller the building looks from the inside but a lot of wasted space just for that effect. As for the art installations, didn't seem to be enough as they are all set up in permanent cubicles for people to walk in. Don't know if you're a fan of contemporary art, most of the installations at the time were quite interesting but some were just plain silly, like the room with a print out of the satellite view of Bangkok from googlemaps pasted on the floor and toy cars stuck randomly on the roads. I didn't go into the main exhibit on the top floor though.

Overall nice to have one right in the middle of the city, but the design and layout of the building seems badly done. There's also a public library tucked away in the basement.

Public library? What kind of public library?

I am not a huge fan of contemporary art myself, so I also have only ever walked by on my way to shopping :o But, it sounds like it might be worth a visit next time I head up to Bangkok

^I think if you had read the OP you would have known that she has not been there yet.

I went there last week only to find that there was no exhiblition going on except for the 4000m of decorated canvas from the demonstrations before the project came into life. Fantastic building with huge potential, but their website is a joke, and their PR is nonexistant. Who runs this place? They could surely learn a few tricks from similar museums around the world, where there is constant activity and lots of information readily avaiable to the public.

I've been twice. First week it opened and the museum was pretty much empty of any art except a photography exhibit of one of the Thai Princesses on the top floor.

The second time I went, as there was some exhibit from the Tate Modern in London and a series of lectures from the curator of the Tate. There was about 10 pieces and the curator spoke for about 5 minutes total.

I'd been really looking forward to this museum opening. Great location, beautiful space inside with great potential and really easy to get to by sky train as it's at National Stadium.

Unfortunately I think it has/will become a big white elephant. I go to many art exhibits/openings in the city but it seems there is never anything happening at this museum. I believe it's financed by BMA, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Public library? What kind of public library?

Mainly art books I think, was in a rush to avoid afternoon traffic so I didn't look through! and yeah it's run by the BMA and some other sponsors.