New International Airport For Chiang Mai?

carlosacao

I've heard rumors about a new international airport for Chiang Mai to be located in the Ban Thi area near Sankampaeng and I wonder if anybody heard anything about it, when it might happen and where in Ban Thi. I'm looking for some land in that area and I don't want to see an airport next to me in the near future. I very much appreciate your input. Thanks.

Given the current political situation you can forget about that. :o

Also I don't think it's really needed, with the new International terminal at the current airport and the renovation going on on the domestic side.

Good to hear that, I also don't think there is a need for another airport. Thanks.

I've heard rumors about a new international airport for Chiang Mai to be located in the Ban Thi area near Sankampaeng and I wonder if anybody heard anything about it, when it might happen and where in Ban Thi. I'm looking for some land in that area and I don't want to see an airport next to me in the near future. I very much appreciate your input. Thanks.

Why would CM need another airport when the current facilty is no where near capacity? Unless of course they are planning on it taking 40 years to build like Swampy in Bangkok.

When Thaksin (the boy from Sankhampaeng) was "head waiter" there was a lot of talk about a new airport in Sankhampaeng.

Anyone who realistically believes it will happen is dreaming :o

The "new airport" is what land brokers mention when I wonder why land prices are high, I guess it's in their interest to keep the rumor alive.

"Why would CM need another airport when the current facilty is no where near capacity? "

Well said.

At least the international flights are getting less by the month. As far as I know only these destinations are left:

SIN (Silk Air)

KUL (Air Asia)

TPE (China Airlines)

LPQ (Lao Airlines)

"Why would CM need another airport when the current facilty is no where near capacity? "

Well said.

At least the international flights are getting less by the month. As far as I know only these destinations are left:

SIN (Silk Air)

KUL (Air Asia)

TPE (China Airlines)

LPQ (Lao Airlines)

KE(Korea Air)668 is still flying

ICN (Seoul, Korean Air)

KMG (Kunming, Thai Airways International)

RGN (Rangoon, Air Mandalay)

However I think that you will find that destinations are added and removed based on many factors. The high fuel prices were a particular shake-up last year in the industry.

Mostly I miss the Yellow Shirts and the CNX-AMS flight. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I remember when I first moved here 24 years ago, hearing about a second-city being planed for Sankampeng- which included an airport moved from Chiang Mai because they needed more groundspace... I have heard reference to the project only a couple of times since, with the last time being the partial construction of the Sankampeng Hiway

Given the current political situation you can forget about that. :o

Also I don't think it's really needed, with the new International terminal at the current airport and the renovation going on on the domestic side.

Right, with so much renovation and money being allocated to the Int terminal, a new airport in CM seems unlikely. This coupled with the fact that air travel isn't the hottest product going in LOS, makes it seem all the more unlikely.

I guess the real question would be if Chiang Mai is currently growing at a rate in which its growth could possibly support a new airport in 5 years or so. Forgive my ignorance but what are the statistics on CM's current growth?

Edited by Digitalman

I've heard rumors about a new international airport for Chiang Mai to be located in the Ban Thi area near Sankampaeng

There's already an airport in Ban Thi.

"April 2007 News: Some members of SFAT were recently discussing the idea of joining Ban Thi Airport with Nok airport (by extending Ban Thi's runway) to make them both one airport. Since the airports are so close, this would be an excellent way to increase safety and promote General Aviation in Thailand. If Ban Thi and Nok were joined, then this would create the largest airpark in all of Asia. SFAT and its members are very active in promoting General Aviation and Aviation Safety in Thailand."

http://thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportbanthi.html

"ICN (Seoul, Korean Air)

RGN (Rangoon, Air Mandalay)"

These cities are no more served from Chiang Mai.

Proof that you can't believe anything you read on the internet, especially on TV.

Korean Airliines flight # KE667 from Seoul still arrives at CNX at 00:35; KE668 departs CNX for Seoul at 1:55.

You can book it online or go to Korea Air's new office on Neimanhaemin. Try it. I did.

Still no need for a new airport in CM and without Thaksin it certainly won't happen.

"ICN (Seoul, Korean Air)

Proof that you can't believe anything you read on the internet, especially on TV.

Korean Airliines flight # KE667 from Seoul still arrives at CNX at 00:35; KE668 departs CNX for Seoul at 1:55.

You can book it online or go to Korea Air's new office on Neimanhaemin. Try it. I did.

Still no need for a new airport in CM and without Thaksin it certainly won't happen.

Yep. True. Have friends visiting here right now who flew in on KE667 and depart Sunday on KE668.

"ICN (Seoul, Korean Air)

The flight I had from Bangkok the other week was outbound to Kunming on the next leg...Did they cancel that in the last two weeks?

Ban Thi has long been talked about as a location for a new Chiang Mai airport to remove airport acitivity from impacted residential areas and hospitals near the current airport. Once the expansion of the CNX was initiated, the idea died. Once CNX approaches capacity, the discussion will come back around, no doubt.

ICN (Seoul, Korean Air)

RGN (Rangoon, Air Mandalay)

However I think that you will find that destinations are added and removed based on many factors. The high fuel prices were a particular shake-up last year in the industry.

Mostly I miss the Yellow Shirts and the CNX-AMS flight. :o

As someone who travels to Burma frequently, The Air Mandalay flight out of CNX at 6,400 Baht return to Yangon was very useful, until they requested that the plane is now required for domestic flights.

Yangon is about on the same level as Chiangmai, but now you have to go through Bangkok.

Air Asia go to Yangon at a very good price from Bangkok, but the flight leaves around 8am, so you need a flight from CNX and overnight stay. TG runs at around 14,000 Baht return and TG connecting with Bangkok Airways is around 11,000 Baht. The flights BKK - Yangon are usually full.

It's now quite obvious that only this international flights leave from Chiang Mai:

SIN (Silk Air)

KUL (Air Asia)

TPE (China Airlines)

LPQ (Lao Airlines)

ICN (Korean Air)

Since the flights to Taipeh and Seoul don't leave daily, it's at most 4 flights a day!! And all of them are narrowbody planes.

I think the existing international terminal has enough capacity to handle that.

It's now quite obvious that only this international flights leave from Chiang Mai:

SIN (Silk Air)

KUL (Air Asia)

TPE (China Airlines)

LPQ (Lao Airlines)

ICN (Korean Air)

Since the flights to Taipeh and Seoul don't leave daily, it's at most 4 flights a day!! And all of them are narrowbody planes.

I think the existing international terminal has enough capacity to handle that.

Not only is Korean Airlines using A330's, as John says, but all of Thai's flights to/from BKK use Airbus Industrie A300-600/600C and Boeing 747's.

Since you go thru Immigration here at CNX on all TG flights when connecting to an intl flight in BKK, all of Thai's departures are no different than any other intl departure.

Interesting that someone with the name CNXmike hasn't gotten anything correct on this thread.

Still no need for a new intl airport in CM other than because the current one is too close to the city center.

@ElJefe

Before you start to insult posters, better try first to get proper information.

If you want to, I can send you a PM to explain you what's the difference between international and domestic flights.

I don't know the past but in future Korean Air is flying B737-800 from CNX to ICN:

Flight Schedules http://www.koreanair.com/[color="#....koreanair.com/

[/color]bl_stitle.gifChiang Mai(CNX) - to - Seoul/Incheon(ICN) bl_sstitle.gifDate : 2nd week of March 2009* Shows the flight schedule of the selected week. * This timetable may be changed without prior notice due to unforseen circumstances. Please check at the time of making the reservation.* +1, -1 indicate date change at arrival airport compared to the date of departure * Aircraft types of other airlines’ flights (including code-share flights) are displayed in an official aircraft code registered in IATA (International Air Transport Association). Flight

NumberDeparture DateDeparture

TimeArrival

TimeAircraft

TypeStops02

Mon03

Tue04

Wed05

Thu06

Fri07

Sat08

SunKE 668 airplane.gifairplane.gif01:5508:40<A href="http://www.koreanair.com/local/sg/gd/eng/au/of/au_of_04.htm?act=73HP">Boeing 737-8000prv.gif eng_return_itin.gif

• Like 1

I'm not the one who insisted that Korean Airlines does not fly to Chiang Mai nor that any widebody planes landed here.

If you want to, I can send you a PM to explain you what's the difference between international and domestic flights.

Feel free.

el jefe

@ElJefe

Before you start to insult posters, better try first to get proper information.

I don't know the past but in future Korean Air is flying B737-800 from CNX to ICN:

Flight Schedules http://www.koreanair.com/[color="#....koreanair.com/

[/color]bl_stitle.gifChiang Mai(CNX) - to - Seoul/Incheon(ICN) bl_sstitle.gifDate : 2nd week of March 2009* Shows the flight schedule of the selected week. * This timetable may be changed without prior notice due to unforseen circumstances. Please check at the time of making the reservation.* +1, -1 indicate date change at arrival airport compared to the date of departure * Aircraft types of other airlines’ flights (including code-share flights) are displayed in an official aircraft code registered in IATA (International Air Transport Association). Flight

NumberDeparture DateDeparture

TimeArrival

TimeAircraft

TypeStops02

Mon03

Tue04

Wed05

Thu06

Fri07

Sat08

SunKE 668 airplane.gifairplane.gif01:5508:40<A href="http://www.koreanair.com/local/sg/gd/eng/au/of/au_of_04.htm?act=73HP">Boeing 737-8000prv.gif eng_return_itin.gif

• 2 years later...

Sorry to reply to this very old topic but I was searching for more info when I came across this one.

I friend of mine who lives in Chiang Mai for about 4 years now reports there is work in progress for a 4th ringroad around Chiang Mai. Appearently this 4th ringroad would serve as direct connection with the 'New International Airport of Chiang Mai'. The 'old' airport would be only military. Anyone can confirm this news or has some info on it?

Bates

Another ring road would probably be useful only to service the 2920 new housing developments currently advertised or under construction. Since CNX has just been voted best small aiprort in the known universe in some meaningless poll, the plans will probably stay on the shelf.

East China Air still flies direct to Kunming, according to my itasoftware dot com search. I suspect many posters are not current either because they are not familiar with certain destinations or because airlines (famously) come and go here with seasons and profits. Good thing we all keep each other informed, what with Hot Weather (maybe) going to meet smoke (maybe) this month.

Limited days during the week are not a problem for me; what I enjoy is avoiding BKK when going everywhere but south.

What's this business about a 4th ring road (if we can call it that) being 'under construction' - certainly someone should have reported it????? Seems like a false rumor to me, failing other gnus.

I recall discussion of a road from San-Sai hospital (where the road from Mae-Rim joins Rte 1001), 3 km North of Mae-Jo, along the foot of the hills towards Doi Saket, several years ago, which could be an outer-outer-ring-road ? This was supposed to run near some land which we were looking-at. But there's no sign of it as-yet ! cowboy.gif

Ditto the 'new airport', which I first heard rumours of, nine years ago. coffee1.gif

I assume "the new ring road" is the road that is being built to link the Super Highway with the Canal Road. The section linking Highway 106 at Pa Sang to Highway 108 south of Thung Cieo is already open, and the section linking Highway 108 to the Canal Road is under construction.