Rod Stewart At Impact Arena

Well for those knockers of the "old man" you could not have been more wrong, a fantastic concert of over 2 hours, his great voice the same as usual, his magnetism on stage wonderful, his ability to "play' the almost packed house just unbelievable.

He showed his professionalism and abilities by performing all his hit songs that you would expect of him as well as a few CCW numbers which he covered very well. his backing group and band were equally amazing. A truly unforgetable evening.

One of the downsides were the many fat, beer bellied, short and flip flop wearing, shaved headed not so young Brits ( i guess) who could not enjoy the show without spilling their beer everywhere (yup must have been Brits) whilst shouting drunken unfunny comments at the stage. There was one lout in particular who nearly ended up being involved in a confrontation with the Thai security officials. This attiutude leaves a nasty taste

Anyhow great night and in my opinion well worth the money I paid for the best seats - just a shame about the sad idiots

Well for those knockers of the "old man" you could not have been more wrong, a fantastic concert of over 2 hours, his great voice the same as usual, his magnetism on stage wonderful, his ability to "play' the almost packed house just unbelievable.

He showed his professionalism and abilities by performing all his hit songs that you would expect of him as well as a few CCW numbers which he covered very well. his backing group and band were equally amazing. A truly unforgetable evening.

One of the downsides were the many fat, beer bellied, short and flip flop wearing, shaved headed not so young Brits ( i guess) who could not enjoy the show without spilling their beer everywhere (yup must have been Brits) whilst shouting drunken unfunny comments at the stage. There was one lout in particular who nearly ended up being involved in a confrontation with the Thai security officials. This attiutude leaves a nasty taste

Anyhow great night and in my opinion well worth the money I paid for the best seats - just a shame about the sad idiots

Glad you enjoyed it. Does beg the question, why would those (Brits as you say) pay top dollar to go to concert and behave like that? Concert Hooliganism?

Did you post to tell us about the concert or come in to show us how moronic you are with your pathetic stereotype of Brits?

I would suggest if they were overly loud and unfunny they would be american, badly dressed and beer swilling they must be German, shaven headed they must be monks etc etc etc.

I imagine you were very riled by this nasty behaviour, and I also imagine you sat there without protesting it, probably sat there pretending it wasn't spoiling your evening while whispering to your other half about how you will sort them out in a minute

Did you post to tell us about the concert or come in to show us how moronic you are with your pathetic stereotype of Brits?

I would suggest if they were overly loud and unfunny they would be american, badly dressed and beer swilling they must be German, shaven headed they must be monks etc etc etc.

I imagine you were very riled by this nasty behaviour, and I also imagine you sat there without protesting it, probably sat there pretending it wasn't spoiling your evening while whispering to your other half about how you will sort them out in a minute

or of course they could have been supporters from your team showing there true colours and usual behaviour.

Redscouse in my humble opnion its about manners and breeding, which to be honest appears to be lacking in the likes of yourself if you condone this moronic behaviour. Did you see in my post where I stated he almost had a confrontation with the Security. This was all in front of a very large and well behaved, and I would guess, middle to upper class Thai audience as well as behaved westerners. And in answer to a previous response, this moron - yes Redscouse MORON was not seated in the VIP section but bullied his way down to the front from the rear end of the theatre

I am sure the Thai security officer was extremely happy after stopping this idiot getting to the front of the stage to be rewarded with being held in a head lock and kissed on his face !!!

I do not condone this behaviour and at no point in my post could you even misinterpret as me condoning this behaviour, I am however pointing out your assumption they were brits based on your stereotype, I am a British and do not fit into your stereotype at all, I wonder how you would stereotype me then, but no doubt you would get my nationality wrong as in your eyes all brits are fat drunks with shaven heads.

true blue, what team do you support? I am sure I can stereotype them, and I think you mean 'their' :o

Did he sing "Maggie May?" I must admit I rather like that song...

I respect anybody who can perform on stage like that, for 10-20 songs. It's not easy, by any measure. And Rod is about the age of my father, which makes it rather exceptional to perform AND engage the crowd. I suspect your average TV member couldn't make it through 2-3 consecutive songs on stage - probably not even 1 if they had to engage a crowd.

+1 to Mr. Stewart.

true blue, what team do you support? I am sure I can stereotype them, and I think you mean 'their' :o

Are you a teacher redscouse, or have i unfairly stereotyped you based on nit-picking another poster's spelling?

I am not a teacher and I hate it when people correct others spelling in here, my comment was meant in jest hence my smiley, I see this as a forum mate and not some literary masterpiece

Nonthaburial, may we know what nationality you are?

Yes rixalex you may know. I am a BRIT and I do understand English when its being spewed out, even in a semi comatose fashion. My realisation that this moron was a Brit was not from his dress (or lack of) but his Midlands accent. Enuff said !

I respect anybody who can perform on stage like that, for 10-20 songs. It's not easy, by any measure. And Rod is about the age of my father, which makes it rather exceptional to perform AND engage the crowd. I suspect your average TV member couldn't make it through 2-3 consecutive songs on stage - probably not even 1 if they had to engage a crowd.

+1 to Mr. Stewart.

jcon, i liked this post very much . Yes he did sing Maggie May and all of his well known songs which had everyone singing along

+1 to Mr. Stewart.

True, but then again I doubt Mr. Stewart can post 4000+ entries on here either. +2 for moi.

Yes rixalex you may know. I am a BRIT and I do understand English when its being spewed out, even in a semi comatose fashion. My realisation that this moron was a Brit was not from his dress (or lack of) but his Midlands accent. Enuff said !

So I don't understand why you write that you assume they were Brits based on dress and behaviour, or are you separating these people from the one who squabbled with the security, in your initial post you make no mention of thus guys nationality. If you know they are Brits then feel free to say so rather than assume based on stereotype.

You are a Brit, can I assume that you are shaven headed, wearing shorts and flip flops and drunk? I imagine you are not.

Listen I am glad you had a good time, but there are already people on here who allow stereotypes to cloud their judgement mate without us doing it to ourselves

True, but then again I doubt Mr. Stewart can post 4000+ entries on here either. +2 for moi.

Mr Stewart might not have had as many entries as you James, but it's not only about quantity. :o

In two words, Rachel Hunter... need i say more?

So I don't understand why you write that you assume they were Brits based on dress and behaviour, or are you separating these people from the one who squabbled with the security, in your initial post you make no mention of thus guys nationality. If you know they are Brits then feel free to say so rather than assume based on stereotype.

You are a Brit, can I assume that you are shaven headed, wearing shorts and flip flops and drunk? I imagine you are not.

Listen I am glad you had a good time, but there are already people on here who allow stereotypes to cloud their judgement mate without us doing it to ourselves

I think the OP forgot to mention that he was wearing a "frankie goes to hollywood" t-shirt and this lead to his feelings.

Edited by bkkjames

I think the OP forgot to mention that he was wearing a "frankie goes to hollywood" t-shirt and this lead to his feelings.

Maybe it was the knotted hankies on their heads and shouts of 'cor blimey' when a woman walked past.

Anyway no arguing now, talk about the concert. Was there any support act on? I should have gone to be honest but forgot he was coming. My last concert up there was a few years ago, outside, when I saw Oasis, Franz Ferdinand an Ian Brown, I went to the last day of a two or three day event

I work with Impact so I know a few things about the show others may not have noticed. 3/4 of the arena was used and there were tickets for 1000 baht available right up until show time. Not even close to being sold out then. Each balcony can only be accessed from the outdoors and security was tight. There were metal detectors and when I walked through before the doors opened, there was a lot of squeaking from the machine but nobody frisked me. The show was sponsored by Continental Hotel where Rod is staying right now. I was told he's been at the pool all day posing with fans. They ponied up $235,000USD. Rod was visibly upset by the malfunctioning of the back board. He repeated 2-3 times that it's not from his crew but a Bangkok board. I also think I heard him chastise an overzealous security guard who wouldn't let some of his beloved Celtic fans come closer to the stage. I realize the people who paid for the top seats want to sit and enjoy the show but this is a concert and I think Rod's own personal security stepped in to let the fans view the show without hassles. Rod's car backed up to the stage 10 minutes before the show started and while his band was still playing, he snuck out the same way. The reason there are fewer shows in Bangkok is because it is VERY difficult finding insurers for Thailand anymore. Once upon a time there were many arena and stadium shows with big names like Bon Jovi, Metallica, Sting, Elton John, Motley Crue, etc. but fewer acts are coming to BKK because of "the situation" according to the insurers. Apparently Robbie Williams was supposed to do a show but it needed to be canceled due to some violence in BKK and he got paid anyway as it wasn't his fault so insurance companies are less willing to take the risk. This is Rod's 3rd BKK concert. Once was an outdoor show near Don Muang before Impact and one was at a private party in a hotel basement. We were only 300 invited guests and he mingled with everyone after the show. His voice never changes but he certainly needs more recuperation time between songs. More of his band filling time. There were also videos that were shown twice presumably to stall. He took a 15 minute break. His daughter sang a few songs wonderfully. I found her really good. That leggy blonde saxophonist was also a delight. At this point, you should take whatever shows you can get because there won't be many more. None other scheduled at Impact for the foreseeable future. Here are a few photos which I know suck but it's better than nothing.

post-78426-1236242784_thumb.jpg

post-78426-1236242794_thumb.jpg

post-78426-1236242804_thumb.jpg

post-78426-1236242814_thumb.jpg

post-78426-1236242824_thumb.jpg

post-78426-1236244589_thumb.jpg

Edited by impact

No supporting act as such but he did introduce his cracking 21 year old daughter who did two good numbers. He also had his three coloured girls as his backing and they were brilliant also, plus the lady violinist and sax player

Edited by nonthaburial

Good insight IMPACT.

Since you are the inside man, can you tell us who in their 50's or 60's we can expect next to grace our Golden Land?

Don't hold your breath. Rod was the last of the mohicans at this level I'm afraid....

See for yourself:

www.thaiticketmajor.com/concert/

I think it would be great if old timers would play in smaller clubs as their careers dwindle. This happens a lot in Tokyo and London. I've seen individual members of Led Zeppelin & The Doors playing in very small clubs and book stores!

Ok polecat I had expected some PC blurb to say that but the facts are facts they are coloured and i really do not know any other way to describe apart from saying black, which in my opinion is even worse.

must be the wrong time of the month for more than a few people posting on here . OH <deleted> now thats sexist - I give in

Good insight IMPACT.

Since you are the inside man, can you tell us who in their 50's or 60's we can expect next to grace our Golden Land?

Don't hold your breath. Rod was the last of the mohicans at this level I'm afraid....

See for yourself:

www.thaiticketmajor.com/concert/

I think it would be great if old timers would play in smaller clubs as their careers dwindle. This happens a lot in Tokyo and London. I've seen individual members of Led Zeppelin & The Doors playing in very small clubs and book stores!

this one caught my eye...

Nestle’ Fitnesse "GET FIT , LOSE FAT" Concert

I wonder if they will give away free chocolate after the concert.

Sounds like you're in need of 'The Scouse Keyboard.'

scousekeyboard.jpg

Hey nonthaburial, it's ok, there's no offence taken. I'm just pointing out the way people speak these days. I don't expect you to know the correct way to refer to racial groups -- it changes so much it gets confusing, right?

The appropriate term in this day and age is "black" (unless of course you meant a different colour)

So now you know.

You're welcome!

By the way, I am/was a huge Rod fan. Not the piffling cack he has been peddling for the last 30 years, but the good old First Step and Stay With Me era stuff. Amazing vocalist, up there with the best blue eyed soul geezers there's ever been.

So when an old girlfriend wanted me to come along to a gig in Sheffield about 15 years ago, I thought I could put up with the cod-Motown and sing-alonga-Rod twaddle if we got a couple of Cindy Incidentallies or Handbags and the Gladrags numbers.

How wrong I was. Two hours of kicking footballs into the crowd and Downtown Train medleys later I vowed never to buy another Rod album again. (Or listen to that bird's music again - we travelled all the way home listening to Dr Hook <deleted>!)