Uk Citizenship

Today my wife received a letter from the UKBA (UK Border Agency) saying she has been granted British Citizenship. The only thing left to do is to attend a local ceremony and say an oath or pledge of allegience. I'm celebrating now on a second bottle of wine (so please excuse grammar and spelling).

So, to anybody else following this path it's fairly simple providing the person studies for and passes the exam and pays the fees. And before I get a load of questions asking me how etc, just go to the government websites. They are the best as they have the latest information on what to do.

Oh, and thanks to all who have helped us in the past.

Cheers,

Robin

p.s. Next step UK passport.

Edited by Eastender

Today my wife received a letter from the UKBA (UK Border Agency) saying she has been granted British Citizenship. The only thing left to do is to attend a local ceremony and say an oath or pledge of allegience. I'm celebrating now on a second bottle of wine (so please excuse grammar and spelling).

So, to anybody else following this path it's fairly simple providing the person studies for and passes the exam and pays the fees. And before I get a load of questions asking me how etc, just go to the government websites. They are the best as they have the latest information on what to do.

Cheers,

Robin

Can you tell me what's the advantage of having citizenship over an indefinite leave to remain visa? Unless I'm mistaken, your wife only needed her indefinite leave to remain visa to get her UK passport.

Cheers,

Robin

Can you tell me what's the advantage of having citizenship over an indefinite leave to remain visa? Unless I'm mistaken, your wife only needed her indefinite leave to remain visa to get her UK passport.

You are mistaken. you have to apply and get British citizenship before you can get the passport.also you need only to pass The Life in the UK test to qualify for citizenship approx 700 pounds

Cheers,

Robin

Congatulaions to you and moreover your wife,,,,,,,and anyone else reading this just be carefull when studying as the test is NOW only taken from the official GOVERNMENT BLUE UK BOOK so dont waste your time and money studying from ANY other book.

Having said all that I still cannot and never will accept why the bloody hel_l our UK legally married wives have to go through this humiliation to be allowed to live here with us and more to the point what bloody use it is ,, as neither I or anyone from the UK I know could pass it and amazingly we have managed to live here without this mine of useless information ( or could it be another labour tax in disguise ? ) oooooooooooooooooo shame on me for being so cynical.

Cheers,

Robin

Congatulaions to you and moreover your wife,,,,,,,and anyone else reading this just be carefull when studying as the test is NOW only taken from the official GOVERNMENT BLUE UK BOOK so dont waste your time and money studying from ANY other book.

Having said all that I still cannot and never will accept why the bloody hel_l our UK legally married wives have to go through this humiliation to be allowed to live here with us and more to the point what bloody use it is ,, as neither I or anyone from the UK I know could pass it and amazingly we have managed to live here without this mine of useless information ( or could it be another labour tax in disguise ? ) oooooooooooooooooo shame on me for being so cynical.

I couldnt agree more i had a go at a practice test and did not get all the questions correct some were really hard, it is a bad case of overkill from the government i think.

Edited by stufal69

Cheers,

Robin

You are mistaken. you have to apply and get British citizenship before you can get the passport.also you need only to pass The Life in the UK test to qualify for citizenship approx 700 pounds

My wife has her Indefinite leave to remain visa and now she has to wait 1 year before she can get her UK passport, the immigration didn't say anything about taking a citizenship test, she took an ESOL course instead of the life in the UK test but didn't have to go to a citizenship ceremony.

Cheers,

Robin

My wife has her Indefinite leave to remain visa and now she has to wait 1 year before she can get her UK passport, the immigration didn't say anything about taking a citizenship test, she took an ESOL course instead of the life in the UK test but didn't have to go to a citizenship ceremony.

Try getting the passport with out the citizenship ceremony !

Cheers,

Robin

The difference is she can claim dole/child allowance etc etc.

Cheers,

Robin

I couldnt agree more i had a go at a practice test and did not get all the questions correct some were really hard, it is a bad case of overkill from the government i think.

this overkill as you stated,is done to stop undesirables into the uk.we all moan about immigrants coming in to the uk unchecked and then we complain when you want to bring a gf/wife into the Uk.The government are right in trying to reduce the amount of immigrants entering the Uk,as many will claim dole,claim child allowance etc etc.Why not stay in Thailand and have to pay for everything.

Cheers,

Robin

So can my wife, our son's child benefit is in my wife's name. Do you have to pay for the citizenship course? If so then there is the answer, money, typical goverment.

Cheers,

Robin

My wife only ever had ILR (still has it) - as we didn't stay in the UK long enough for her to get UK nationality. But she had no problems getting child benefit (was basically automatically applied for after the baby was born.)

We never claimed the dole though, and stopped the child benefit when we emigrated.

Cheers,

Robin

Congratulations on that superb news Eastender. My wife had her British Citizenship ceremony last week and obtained the passports forms etc etc.

We filled out the passport forms and sent them away and received a letter yesterday saying that she has to attend a interview because it is her 1st British passport(Apparently everyone has an interview if its their first british passport). I am just wondering if anyone knows what does this interview entail?

Thanks

Cheers,

Robin

Congratulations on that superb news Eastender. My wife had her British Citizenship ceremony last week and obtained the passports forms etc etc.

We filled out the passport forms and sent them away and received a letter yesterday saying that she has to attend a interview because it is her 1st British passport(Apparently everyone has an interview if its their first british passport). I am just wondering if anyone knows what does this interview entail?

Thanks

Cheers,

Robin

My wife only ever had ILR (still has it) - as we didn't stay in the UK long enough for her to get UK nationality. But she had no problems getting child benefit (was basically automatically applied for after the baby was born.)

We never claimed the dole though, and stopped the child benefit when we emigrated.

we have an honest guy,at long last

Hi all My wife and many of my friends wifes also have british citizenship and passports all done using the ESOL route maximum cost was £120 for the course as first 2 years was free until government change now though belive it is £120 per year unless your on some benefit working tax credit included in that free deal. My wife still studying and working at the rate of £120 a year think its just a reason to meet up more with her friends really me being cinical. However re the passport we found a quick way and with no interview. this is when visiting thailand next you can do it at the british embassy takes up to 10 days quick no hassle and cheaper.

As for benefits its pensions rights and the freedom to visit abroad without having renew a schengen visa or other visa's before buying tickets just a thought if you wee planning a trip to thailand before going anywhere else. A note for all your wife has only had to be in the uk for 3 years which includes fiancee visa to be able to get citizenship even if you got ILR the day before but the day of application she must of been in the country 3 years prior to that exact date not on holiday as we found out and was first sent back to apply 4 days later got it in a month though so did not matter

Firstly, congrats to Mrs Eastender.

Secondly, there seems to be some confusion over ILR vs citizenship.

1) ILR allows the holder to reside in the UK indefinitely; not permanently. It can be withdrawn and the holder removed from the UK if the holder is convicted of a serious criminal offence. It can lapse if it becomes apparent the holder is no longer resident in the UK; particularly if the holder spends more than 2 years out of the UK.

Citizenship, if gained via naturalisation, can also be withdrawn and the holder removed from the UK if the holder commits a serious criminal offence, but the offence would need to be much more serious than it would be to lose ILR. Other than that, citizenship is permanent. It will not lapse no matter how long the holder spends out of the UK.

2) Thai citizens require visas to visit many more countries than British citizens do. Holding ILR does not change this requirement. For example, a Thai citizen holding UK ILR will still need a Schengen visa to visit France, a British citizen does not need any visa to visit France.

Similarly, an ILR holder would need the appropriate entry clearance to live and work in another EEA state, even if accompanying their EEA national spouse or partner. A British citizen is entitled to freedom of movement and work throughout the EEA.

3) ILR holders can claim the same public funds as a British citizen.

4) ILR holders cannot vote or stand for election to public office, (local councillor, MP, etc.); citizens can.

Personally I feel that all the above makes naturalisation worthwhile, particularly Nos 1) and 2). However, it is an individual choice.

To qualify for naturalisation as British the applicant must:-

1) Have no time restrictions on their current leave to enter/remain; i.e. hold ILR or the equivalent.

2) Have been legally in the UK on the day exactly three years (five years if not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen) prior to the Home Office receiving the application.

3) During the previous three years (or five as above) have spent no more than 270 days (450 days) out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

Finally, if one has already satisfied the KOL requirement (LitUK test or ESOL with citizenship course) in order to obtain ILR then they do not need to do so again for naturalisation.

1) ILR allows the holder to reside in the UK indefinitely; not permanently. It can be withdrawn and the holder removed from the UK if the holder is convicted of a serious criminal offence. It can lapse if it becomes apparent the holder is no longer resident in the UK; particularly if the holder spends more than 2 years out of the UK.

Citizenship, if gained via naturalisation, can also be withdrawn and the holder removed from the UK if the holder commits a serious criminal offence, but the offence would need to be much more serious than it would be to lose ILR. Other than that, citizenship is permanent. It will not lapse no matter how long the holder spends out of the UK.

2) Thai citizens require visas to visit many more countries than British citizens do. Holding ILR does not change this requirement. For example, a Thai citizen holding UK ILR will still need a Schengen visa to visit France, a British citizen does not need any visa to visit France.

Similarly, an ILR holder would need the appropriate entry clearance to live and work in another EEA state, even if accompanying their EEA national spouse or partner. A British citizen is entitled to freedom of movement and work throughout the EEA.

4) ILR holders cannot vote or stand for election to public office, (local councillor, MP, etc.); citizens can.

Personally I feel that all the above makes naturalisation worthwhile, particularly Nos 1) and 2). However, it is an individual choice.

1) Have no time restrictions on their current leave to enter/remain; i.e. hold ILR or the equivalent.

2) Have been legally in the UK on the day exactly three years (five years if not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen) prior to the Home Office receiving the application.

3) During the previous three years (or five as above) have spent no more than 270 days (450 days) out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

Finally, if one has already satisfied the KOL requirement (LitUK test or ESOL with citizenship course) in order to obtain ILR then they do not need to do so again for naturalisation.

I'm still confused, my wife has her ILR visa and next year she will get her UK passport, does she then becomes a UK citizen because she has recieved a UK passport? She not bothered about citizenship or naturalisation, she only wants a UK passport so she can go to europe and the USA without needing a visa and she has no interest in claiming benefits either.

She cannot get a British passport unless she first becomes a British citizen. So she first applies for naturalisation and attends her citizenship ceremony. Among the 'welcome pack' she will be given at the ceremony will be an application pack for her British passport.

If she is concerned about her status as a Thai citizen then be assured that both the UK and Thailand allow dual citizenship. Naturalisation as British will not affect her rights as a Thai citizen in any way.

Edited by 7by7

Hi all My wife and many of my friends wifes also have british citizenship and passports all done using the ESOL route maximum cost was £120 for the course as first 2 years was free until government change now though belive it is £120 per year unless your on some benefit working tax credit included in that free deal. My wife still studying and working at the rate of £120 a year think its just a reason to meet up more with her friends really me being cinical. However re the passport we found a quick way and with no interview. this is when visiting thailand next you can do it at the british embassy takes up to 10 days quick no hassle and cheaper.

As for benefits its pensions rights and the freedom to visit abroad without having renew a schengen visa or other visa's before buying tickets just a thought if you wee planning a trip to thailand before going anywhere else. A note for all your wife has only had to be in the uk for 3 years which includes fiancee visa to be able to get citizenship even if you got ILR the day before but the day of application she must of been in the country 3 years prior to that exact date not on holiday as we found out and was first sent back to apply 4 days later got it in a month though so did not matter

Its the date she first entered the UK a tourist visa does count.

The passport interview basically involves them asking for the information already provided on the passport application form. They asked Mr boo, date of citizenship granted, mothers date of birth, date you first arrived in the UK, that sort of thing. He came a bit unstuck as he didn't know his mobile number, our postcode or our home phone number off the top of his head & also had to explain that I had filled out the form for him as I had for all his visa stuff so wasn't sure what I had put for the date of arrival but it was end of march 2004. Didn't seem to matter as he received his passport through 4 days later but might be worth making sure your wife is sure of the info on the form. :o

I'm still confused, my wife has her ILR visa and next year she will get her UK passport, does she then becomes a UK citizen because she has recieved a UK passport? She not bothered about citizenship or naturalisation,

I think you are a little confused Brig, without knowing your complete history, but as it stands she can certainly apply for a Brit PP, but it will not be granted because she has not fulfilled all the requirements.

Without Citizenship and Naturalization she will not get a PP, there is room for discretion I believe, but unless she is Zola Budd, it wont happen.

She cannot get a British passport unless she first becomes a British citizen. So she first applies for naturalisation and attends her citizenship ceremony. Among the 'welcome pack' she will be given at the ceremony will be an application pack for her British passport.

If she is concerned about her status as a Thai citizen then be assured that both the UK and Thailand allow dual citizenship. Naturalisation as British will not affect her rights as a Thai citizen in any way.

We'll find out who is correct in 11 months, but at this moment in time I'll follow the advice of the 2 people I asked at the immigration centre and that advice was that after checking my wifes paperwork, granting her ILR visa they both told her she can aply for her UK passport in 1 year.

Even Zola Budd and John Barnes had to naturalise before getting a British passport. Also that Belgian bloke who played for Wales (Pat van der Hauwe?) - he of the mysterious stab wound that was rumoured to be as a result of being caught shagging another bloke's wife.

I say Mrs. Brigante7 needs to naturalise before getting a British passport. How about a little side bet? £100.00 placed with a third party should do it.

".....he of the mysterious stab wound that was rumoured to be as a result of being caught shagging another bloke's wife."

I didn't know that was a prerequisite for obtaining British citizenship. What a mine of information you are.

Even Zola Budd had to naturalise before getting a British passport.

Anyway are you sure? I thought David Moorcroft waved her through at Immigration, saying don't worry about those guys in uniform, here's a passport I prepared earlier.

I'll be interested to see what Mrs Brigante puts on the provide proof of british citizenship part of the passport application.

All applicants have to give proof of nationality as only a british national can get a british passport.

Anyone not british by right of birth has to produce a naturlisation certificate, which can only be obtained by attenting a citizenship ceremony, which invite you only receive after applying for british citizenship using the relevant forms provided by the hone office :o

Mrs Brigante may be in for a very nasty shock in 11 months. :D

Firstly, well done to the two Eastenders.

Secondly, its a good summary 7by7 and correct, despite some doubters.

There is though one other reason why I think that its better to go for citizenship and that is the fact that the British Govt have a habit of changing the rules and moving goalposts. IMO its far better to go for citizenship which - apart from the application fee - has no down side to it, just in case the govt change the rules at some time in the future.

My wife has her British Passport interview tomorrow. She is abit nervous cause she does'nt know what they are going to ask her. I told her they will probably just ask some questions from her British Passport application. i.e date entered UK, Date received British Citizenship, etc etc