Phuket Bike Week 2009 : Asia's No.1 Motorcycle Festival

robinhill

The online Google Map provides the precise location and schedule of events

for Phuket Bike Week 2009

Thailand's biggest motorcycle festival.

Hi there,

I thought it might be useful to put a posting about the Phuket Bike Week into this section of the Forum.

<snip>

I've been to many biker meets in Thailand over the past few years and time after time I get the impression that a lot of people don't know the dates and details of the many biker events here in Thailand and SE Asia, and who's riding to the event from their region, etc.

<snip>

Cheers,

Robin_bike_160px.jpg

Robin Hill

Edited by soundman
Spam removed.

Let me think...

Phuket... April... Song Kran... Nope not going there to get mad drunk drivers chasing me and buckets of ice water sometimes including ice cubes slung on me in speed on a motorbike. I lay low during that dreadful period as far away from Pattaya and Phuket as possible, to bad they decided to have the event during that time.

Cheers Bard

Let me think...

Phuket... April... Song Kran... Nope not going there to get mad drunk drivers chasing me and buckets of ice water sometimes including ice cubes slung on me in speed on a motorbike. I lay low during that dreadful period as far away from Pattaya and Phuket as possible, to bad they decided to have the event during that time.

Cheers Bard

bard, i agree but travelmate and kottan claim that songkran in phuket is shorter than in bkk. anyone know anything about this?

if its pure water festival the entire time then it doesnt appeal to me either.

Song Gran is only really a 2 day event (used to be 3 I think but they seem to have cut it down).. Thats as far as insanity goes.. They also cut the water at about 6 - 8 pm on the second day.. You may well get a idiot tourist with a watergun a day outside either side but not a big deal. So as long as you can avoid those 2 days your ok IIRC theres usually a 1 day overlap with the bike week.

I am not sure on this but think its 12th / 13th..

To be honest I have had it with Song Gran, fun the first year or two.. OK for a day for the next 3 or 4.. But now I am over it and would rather be out of the country or on a remote island I go to.

Posted this on here and elsewere before

I also cant seem to blame the farang exclusively either.. To me its as often, maybe worse the Thais lobbing big buckets at bikers (cos they dont buy super soakers)..

One or two years ago I had a commitment I couldnt avoid to ride my CBR over the island for some reason and it had fallen on a song gran day.. Dreading the idea I set out super slowly, did the 50 year rd to avoid nanai, got out of patong.. At this point there were no groups on the road and in a clear stretch of Kathu I (dumbly perhaps) had started to ride a bit quicker, I wasnt going fast but 50+mph or so..

This completely brainless &lt;deleted&gt; granny had actually hidden behind a car and leapt out throwing a huge great bucket sized bowlful right onto me. I saw it coming and braced, the whole 'dont flinch and swerve' bit.. But the impact of 5+ liters (5kg) water at 50+ mph full into the face and chest nearly took me off my bike.

I was fuming and stopped to let off some choice words and there she was happily cackling to herself. This was a totally alone, 50 year old adult who thought it a great idea and positive fun to hide and surprise someone on a sportbike with a bucket of water ?? Blew my mind that anyone of any nationality could be quite so dumb. I mean really !!

Same weekend as song gran.. Waterfights and bike week..

Madness !!

Hi there, it's not actually as bad as you may think... far from it. Anyone who has been to the annual event in Phuket will know how well organized it is, and that the Phuket Bike Week is an important event on the calendar which attracts thousands of Bikers from Asia (inc. quite a few from Singapore and Malaysia) as well as tourists from all over the world (although many might just happen to be there anyway there are quite a number who time their holiday specially to coincide). This being the case, the locals know that they are not allowed to start chucking water until the PBW event is over - and the event has the full support of the police who are ready to crack down on anyone who tries.

The first day of Songkran is Monday 13th <snip>. So, you are unlikely to have any problems at all during the event - I never have had on the occasions on which I've been there, but you may come across some Songkranners on the journey home, although they tend to leave the major highways alone, and also I find that if you are wearing full biking gear they don't generally tend to chuck water at you anyway.

The Burapa Bike Week event at Pattaya and Bang Saen Bike Week are indeed very busy and perhaps have more people - they certainly have more traffic jams! But for my money they don't have quite the same international flavour and are busier mainly due to there proximity to the heavily populated areas of Bangkok, Chonburi and Pattaya.

In summary, the PBW is well worth the trip if you can spare the time and money, and the 1000 baht for the grand dinner which includes the cap, pin badge, t-shirt, etc, is interesting and fun to attend and worth every baht in my opinion.

Gosh, I sound really biased don't I ?!? ...but I've been to loads of biking parties around Thailand and I have to say that the Phuket Bike Week is one of my favourites, and probably my No.1 favourite big event. And to return to the initial issue, don't worry about getting splashed with water, it will not happen during the event, just get down there if you can and enjoy yourself!

Edited by soundman
URL removed.

Same weekend as song gran.. Waterfights and bike week..

Madness !!

Hi there, it's not actually as bad as you may think... far from it. Anyone who has been to the annual event in Phuket will know how well organized it is, and that the Phuket Bike Week is an important event on the calendar which attracts thousands of Bikers from Asia (inc. quite a few from Singapore and Malaysia) as well as tourists from all over the world (although many might just happen to be there anyway there are quite a number who time their holiday specially to coincide). This being the case, the locals know that they are not allowed to start chucking water until the PBW event is over - and the event has the full support of the police who are ready to crack down on anyone who tries.

The first day of Songkran is Monday 13th <snip>. So, you are unlikely to have any problems at all during the event - I never have had on the occasions on which I've been there, but you may come across some Songkranners on the journey home, although they tend to leave the major highways alone, and also I find that if you are wearing full biking gear they don't generally tend to chuck water at you anyway.

The Burapa Bike Week event at Pattaya and Bang Saen Bike Week are indeed very busy and perhaps have more people - they certainly have more traffic jams! But for my money they don't have quite the same international flavour and are busier mainly due to there proximity to the heavily populated areas of Bangkok, Chonburi and Pattaya.

In summary, the PBW is well worth the trip if you can spare the time and money, and the 1000 baht for the grand dinner which includes the cap, pin badge, t-shirt, etc, is interesting and fun to attend and worth every baht in my opinion.

Gosh, I sound really biased don't I ?!? ...but I've been to loads of biking parties around Thailand and I have to say that the Phuket Bike Week is one of my favourites, and probably my No.1 favourite big event. And to return to the initial issue, don't worry about getting splashed with water, it will not happen during the event, just get down there if you can and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for the positive info. Looking forward to a great time!

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by soundman
URL removed.

the locals know that they are not allowed to start chucking water until the PBW event is over - and the event has the full support of the police who are ready to crack down on anyone who tries.
That's very good news.

Btw, can anyone recommend a biker-friendly hotel in the 1-2k mark that doesn't double their prices over Songkran.

Edited by RusticCharm

the locals know that they are not allowed to start chucking water until the PBW event is over - and the event has the full support of the police who are ready to crack down on anyone who tries.
That's very good news.

And given my past experiences of the last 8 years or so seeing it.. Completely not the case.

EVERY year I have seen aggro and hassle over this.. Angry bikes and pissed up revelers, water guns and powder / paste v ride gear and chrome. You really think the Thai police are going to do anything ??

• 2 weeks later...
That's very good news.

And given my past experiences of the last 8 years or so seeing it.. Completely not the case.

EVERY year I have seen aggro and hassle over this.. Angry bikes and pissed up revelers, water guns and powder / paste v ride gear and chrome. You really think the Thai police are going to do anything ??

<snip>

The Phuket Bike Week event takes place just prior to the official Songkran days, and I stand by my post above and my experience of attending the event, and by my knowledge of the support which the event is given by the police, who do their best to prevent any Songkranning of Bikers during the events of Phuket Bike Week, and allow you the reader to use your own judgement about any comments on any of my posts by LivinLos.

Edited by soundman
Removed comments about moderation.

If people look at the time stamps of posts you will see my opinions were posted long before any other dissagreements. I have also posted the same style posts about PBW and song gran for years, as I have a posting history you can go and see that.

Let it go.. Its petty.

Didn't we start this discussion in another thread?

Trent, Peter? and I are going to ride down with a big Yamaha group. Two day ride via Ranong. Should be a blast. Not worried about getting wet or chalk on my bike. Part of the fun and will help to stay cool in the April heat.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
No comments on moderation action please.

Didn't we start this discussion in another thread?

Trent, Peter? and I are going to ride down with a big Yamaha group. Two day ride via Ranong. Should be a blast. Not worried about getting wet or chalk on my bike. Part of the fun and will help to stay cool in the April heat.

<snip>

Im in like flynn..my new 2007 R1 Rossi Replica should be ready just in time :o

Peter

Im in like flynn..my new 2007 R1 Rossi Replica should be ready just in time :D

Peter

SWEET!!! :D:D:o

Congrats on the new ride Peter! Getting it from Yamaha or a private sale? Can't wait to see it!

I'm going to try and drop by the Yamaha Big Bike shop tomorrow to drop off some parts for Bard's bike and to see the damage done to Trent's baby. Hopefully Trent will be able to beg, borrow or steal a bike for the ride.

Looking forward to a fun ride.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hopefully Trent will be able to beg, borrow or steal a bike for the ride.

Happy Trails!

Tony

ahhh .. so you dont know about Trentys new ride..lets just say if he go`s nobody will be keeping up with him :o heres a hint... tis the color of me emerald isle ??

Congrats on the new ride Peter! Getting it from Yamaha or a private sale? Can't wait to see it!

she has just been imported from Japan and is in little pieces by the shipyard..

Edited by coolfusion

Tony, I am goping to run down a day earlier and get there Thurdsay night hopfully before the "madness" sets in.

I suggest you take of the rubber sliders and put on metal spikes to get the guys throwing water!

Cheers Kev

Happy Trails!

Tony

ahhh .. so you dont know about Trentys new ride..lets just say if he go`s nobody will be keeping up with him :o heres a hint... tis the color of me emerald isle ??

Whers the maps mentioned in the OP?

Not sure what maps you are looking for...

Here's the official schedule:

Friday 10 April 2009

- Motorcycle Exhibition at Jungceylon Patong Beach

- PBW Beach Party & Music festival (Carabow and Job2do bands) at Loma Park,

Saturday 11 April 2009

- Motorcycle Exhibition at Jungceylon Patong Beach

- Ride for Peace start from Loma Park Patong Beach to Karon - Kata - NaiHaan bay and Phomteap Cape (Around trip 30 KM.)

- Ride to Grand Dinner at Thainaan restaurant, Opposite Central Festival Phuket town

- PBW Beach Party & Blue & Jazz Music festival (Tom Dundee & Mu Pongthep bands) Cowboy / Indian / Rake show at Loma Park, Patong Beach

Sunday 12 April 2009

- Tattoo contests & Miss Phuket Bike Week 2009 at Jungceylon Patong Beach

- PBW Beach Party & Rock Music festival (Pong & Pe & Jeap) at Loma Park

More info at the Phuket Bike Week site: http://www.phuketbikeweek.com/

Happy Trails!

Tony

Happy Trails!

Tony

nice dude!!!!! got any pics? where did you buy it from...DETAILS MAN DETAILS!!!!!!!!

Alright you soft cox! Who's riding to Phuket? So far seems only Trent and Andrew and myself are going for sure. A lot of maybes from the rest of the crew...

10-12 Thai biker confirmed going on the Yamaha Rider's Club Phuket Bike Week trip. K. Ek cool as always said no problem for Trent and me to join on our Kwackers. (At least Trent owns a Yamaha! :D )

For any who are interested they've parked Trent's and Bard's abused FZ6's out front on the deck for all to see. Bard's bike will be fixed quickly as no serious damage, but Trent's is gonna take a while as the new swingarm, subframe and other bits are being shipped over from Japan by sea.

You were dam_n lucky Trent- that mutha focker that hit you and ran missed your foot by inches. He hit you hard too! Banged you in the right rear section of the bike hard enough to snap off the entire passenger peg hardware and bend the entire swingarm and subframe all crooked- wow! You are pretty lucky, all things considered.

Anyway- the Yamaha ride will meet at the Yamaha Big Bike behind Esplanade Mall on Ratchada around 6am on Thursday April 9th. (In my experience they NEVER leave on time :D )

Plan is to reach Hua Hin by 0900 and Ranong sometime between 1400-1600. Staying at Tinidee Hotel. Something about hot springs and massage, a seafood dinner, and "Night Party" in Downtown Ranong. :o

Whole bunch of other events planned but I've got to run and don't have time to transcribe it all. They are not coming back to Bangkok until Tuesday afternoon, but I think I'll head back before that as I'm hoping to ride up to Chiang Mai on the 16th.

AnthonyR1- you ride a Yamaha! Be there or be square! Wonder if, out of respect, I should cover up the Kawasaki emblems on my bike? :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Alright you soft cox! Who's riding to Phuket? So far seems only Trent and Andrew and myself are going for sure. A lot of maybes from the rest of the crew...

Plan is to reach Hua Hin by 0900 and Ranong sometime between 1400-1600. Staying at Tinidee Hotel. Something about hot springs and massage, a seafood dinner, and "Night Party" in Downtown Ranong. :o

AnthonyR1- you ride a Yamaha! Be there or be square! Wonder if, out of respect, I should cover up the Kawasaki emblems on my bike? :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

kottan is also definitely in.

AntR1 has decided to pull the plug. Due to circumstances beyond his control. :D

There is no way Kottan and I will ride with a Yamaha group. Wanna stay independant. Loose 'n' fast kinda thing.

Anyhooter as mentioned before, we are doing it within a single day leaving on the 9th.Meet at 5:30 then shoot before 6am if possible. Hey might pass Tony & Trent bimbling along. (what a waste of Trent's new bike :D ) Don't worry we will wave.