Cat's Fur No Longer Shiny

My beloved cat is about 10 years old and otherwise seems perfectly healthy, but for the past few months her fur has lost its shine.

She is eating exactly the same diet as before and doesn't appear ill in anyway. Gets deworming meds regularly.

I have been giving her a supplement called "Dermacoat" that is supposed to help but haven't seen any improvement, all it does is get her mad at me for giving it to her, no change in fur sheen

I am wondering if it could possible be from the Frontline she gets monthly? I have been very regular in applying it ever since she had a bout with fleas, and seems to me I have gheard people say it could do this....??

It's not bothering her in any way, but I miss my angel's shiny silky fur!!!!

Non of my cat books mention dull lifeless coat at all :o

As cat hair, like ours is dead, then if it looks dull then it must be something you are putting on it or something she is licking on it from her. Could there be something in the air? Maybe you should try some of your hair conditioner instead of Dermacoat . I really don't believe in all those cat coat dressings they sell as a cats saliva is a natural cleanser and antibiotic. I also thought Frontline lasts for three months No? other than that I have no idea...

Edited by Rimmer

She's already eating mackeral, it is the only food she will eat. Fresh mackeral, mackeral flavored dry food and occasionally whiskas canned mackeral. So that is surely not the answer.

Raw egg on her? Must say I tremble a bit at the thought of her reaction but I'll think about it.

Still inclined to suspect the frontline as the culprit (it is a once a month treatment). Either that or over-grooming on her part.

She's already eating mackeral, it is the only food she will eat. Fresh mackeral, mackeral flavored dry food and occasionally whiskas canned mackeral. So that is surely not the answer.

Raw egg on her? Must say I tremble a bit at the thought of her reaction but I'll think about it.

Still inclined to suspect the frontline as the culprit (it is a once a month treatment). Either that or over-grooming on her part.

Sheryl,

After one bad incident with my cat getting sick from flea/tick medicine on her coat.......they will get at no matter where you put it......I now get her a shot every two months

at the local vet for fleas/ticks. In fact the only thing they don't have an injection for is tapeworm...needs a pill.....other worms it's a shot.

beachbunny

Non of my cat books mention dull lifeless coat at all :o

As cat hair, like ours is dead, then if it looks dull then it must be something you are putting on it or something she is licking on it from her. Could there be something in the air? Maybe you should try some of your hair conditioner instead of Dermacoat . I really don't believe in all those cat coat dressings they sell as a cats saliva is a natural cleanser and antibiotic. I also thought Frontline lasts for three months No? other than that I have no idea...

Mine too :D(edit: i mean my books dont mention it too)

Sheryl, from your posts I assume her diet is the same and she is grooming herself normally.

It sounds very strange! She is dewormed and has a nutritious diet. Maybe because of her age, her diet needs to be reviewed? BUt, does sound like it might be the frontline. How soon after the frontline did she start getting a dull coat? (cant find anything in google on dull coats and frontline)

Found this though..of course, i dont think this is the problem as she has only one symptom..but thought worth posting the link because she is getting older and always good to be informed (if you werent already): http://frontline-plus-for-cats.blogspot.co...onic-renal.html )

Sorry i ment put it on her food

Oh..! Funny how a misplaced word can make all the difference!

Edited by eek

just mackeral??? older cats need different nutrition, just like older dogs and older people. things to check are in blood work- liver function kidney function would be the two biggies to have done (if u can get her to do a blood test without being sedated. otherwise, mild sedation, and then do an allover work up including dentistry-- a one stop type of thing so u dont have to sedate her again. thats what most of our vets here do, anyway. not sure in thailand.

... also, is she really grooming herself the same? older cats are less limber and cant reach as well to get to all the places, and do groom less often because of that. cats get bad teeth and gums, and then groom less do to pain. one of the first signs of teeth problems is dirty fur... check her breath- smelly? then it could very well be teeth and gums which in turn causes digestive and absorbtion problems not to mention other problems.

putting stuff ON the fur will not help. dont think frontline is the culprit. it usually makes the area around the drops a bit sticky... also, frontline is a three month thing; not monthly except for tick protection in areas that are super heavily infested, and ticks are not usually a problem with cats. we alwasy recommended monthly ONLY for farm dogs in certain areas.

bina

israel

Glad we got the egg bit clear! Although I have little (VERY klittle) hope she would eat it or her food if it were on her food. This is a very, very fussy cat food-wise.

She will only eat mackeral flavor but the dried food, which is her staple, has, suppsoedly, all the necessary nutrients.

Re grooming, if anything she is grooming excessively. She may be 10 years old but she looks and acts much younger (like her owner... :o ) and is quite limber. She does have a habit of excessively grooming and also pulling out her hair when upset or annoyed, long standing problem. But I wouldn't say she is doing that any more or less than usual.

I still suspect the frontline and if it is supposed to be once in 3 months that would explain it because she has been getting it monthly -- which is what it says on the box to do.

Think I'll try skipping it for a few months, especially now that it is no longer peak flea season, and see if that helps. Will also get her to a vet soon for general check up just in case.