Things I Can't Find

lethe

No, you have got it completly backwards. Yes these people have moved to another country, and are/were prepared to accept the consequences, but is it wrong for them to search for things that may be available?

Just because you move to Thailand does not mean you only have to live on Thai produced things. The same way if you move to England you do not have to live on Fish, Chips and Tea.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, here are a list of things I have had no luck finding in Thailand.

1. Is there a regularly updated list of english-speaking Thai TV programs available on the internet? I know there are some English news reports on NBT.

2. Are there any good tea stores (That sell more than the usual Chinese teas.) in Bangkok - like T2 in Australia?

3. Are there any good music stores in Bangkok that sell a large selection of western music - particularly alternative music or even Australian rock?

4. What is the best sreet directory of thailand. I notice taxi drivers here don't even carry anything and are always asking the passenger for directions (crazy!), if only google could print out there maps for taxi drivers in every country they would make a fortune :o

4. Also on my hit list of things to buy are outdoor sensor lights, those cheap sprinker systems that have thin long protruding stems and sprinkler heads running a lenght of tube buried underground and hooked up to your home water tap, and finally a timer to set off the sprinkler system at a particular time of day.

Thanks in advance!

You forgot VEGEMITE

I have a very (simple) small little thing I have been trying to find :

- 75 - 90 cm black shoe strings.

Impossible to find ( so far I checked : 7xBATA Stores, Emporium and 3 Robbie's)

I second this.... I can not find shoe strings anywhere.... I have looked in every shoe store and no one has shoe strings.... how odd is that.

I have given up and unless someone can advise where to buy them, I plan on buying some while I am in the states next month.

I have had some luck with the Central Rama III in the shoe dept but can't remember if it the womens or mens. There is a small section against the wall where they have various shoe laces. Somewhat hit or miss on sizes. I'm sure other Central's have such a section, but it is small and you need to look.

TH

Hi, here are a list of things I have had no luck finding in Thailand.

1. Is there a regularly updated list of english-speaking Thai TV programs available on the internet? I know there are some English news reports on NBT.

2. Are there any good tea stores (That sell more than the usual Chinese teas.) in Bangkok - like T2 in Australia?

3. Are there any good music stores in Bangkok that sell a large selection of western music - particularly alternative music or even Australian rock?

4. What is the best sreet directory of thailand. I notice taxi drivers here don't even carry anything and are always asking the passenger for directions (crazy!), if only google could print out there maps for taxi drivers in every country they would make a fortune :o

4. Also on my hit list of things to buy are outdoor sensor lights, those cheap sprinker systems that have thin long protruding stems and sprinkler heads running a lenght of tube buried underground and hooked up to your home water tap, and finally a timer to set off the sprinkler system at a particular time of day.

Thanks in advance!

add: 1 TOC shows english news all the time: Quality: medium...

add: 3 Internet is your friend basically everything is available for download

chick peas for making humus.

Tahini.

Bilbao sausages.

In BKK, Toybits, those things are pretty easy. For sure, Villa markets carry cans of chick peas (in the canned beans/vegetables section), and I often see them stocking dried bags of them as well (in the grains section).

With the abundance of Middle Eastern restaurants around, surely tahini is available also. I know I've seen it in various of the farang oriented markets. Might even be able to buy in directly from some restaurants.

Can't speak to bilbao sausages, however, whatever those are!!!!

Quality hardware things. Plastic things that aren't rejects from China & that break or decompose years before they should. & good American style BBQ sauce - Not the Kraft or A1 sauce

Talk to owner Mark at BBQ Sandwich King in Nonthaburi... I'm sure he can provide whatever you need. Last time I was there, he was even willing to custom make sauce flavors....

Folks, what we need here are a few more ANSWERS on where to find things....

But I'll add one thing I haven't found here... decent ground black pepper...

Some of the markets seems to carry McCormick's brand Worcestershire flavor ground black pepper. Which is OK, but I'm not always wanting the Worcestershire flavor in my pepper.... How about just the regular pepper flavored pepper??

(And no... not the Thai style white ground pepper that's omnipresent...)

This is funny, Wen I worked in Africa, then China, then Brazil, then Manila and Taiwan before coming to Thailand (oops fogot India and Nepal) i soon realised that I was actually in foreign countries and then accepted when in Rome etc. Amazing with my attitude now I accept what comes, after all it was my/your decision to come here so stop bleating and get street wise

street wise... that's just the dumbest comment of 2009, you're awesome. someday i hope to post half as good as you.

Buy a grinder and buy the bags of peppercorns. They are everywhere. Tesco's, Carrefour, Tops etc, etc. Never had a problem finding them. Cheap as heck, too.

Unless I am missing something*

(*it has been known to happen)

Buy a grinder and buy the bags of peppercorns. They are everywhere. Tesco's, Carrefour, Tops etc, etc. Never had a problem finding them. Cheap as heck, too.

Excellent point - and with a reasonable grinder, you can even adjust the coarseness

Of course, that would mean you are in control of the quality of the grind and you wouldn't be able to blame Thailand for not having the right product

Edited by njpski

Cannoli

Zeppoli

dill pickles

real bagels

real pastrami

lemon heads

hot tamalas candy

tootsie roll lolli pops

butterfingers

Come on now T. None of those things even exist! I mean "zeppoli" - wasn't he a Marx brother?

Chili - chili and beans type. Smokehouse, etc. with french fries and hot dogs and cheese.

Bagels

English muffins.

Villa Markets typically stock either Dennison's or Hormel's canned chili and beans, pretty pricey usually. They also stock several varieties of an U.S. organic brand, Healthy Valley, and sometimes carry another organic brand called Amy's.

Apart from the frozen variety, they're also stocking a decent, locally produced brand of fresh English muffins in their bread sections.

I sometimes also see fresh locally produced bagels at the various Villa outlets. The local Au Bon Pain shops have their own locally produced variety...which some folks don't consider real bagels.

Chili - chili and beans type. Smokehouse, etc. with french fries and hot dogs and cheese.

Bagels

English muffins.

Villa Markets typically stock either Dennison's or Hormel's canned chili and beans, pretty pricey usually. They also stock several varieties of an U.S. organic brand, Healthy Valley, and sometimes carry another organic brand called Amy's.

Apart from the frozen variety, they're also stocking a decent, locally produced brand of fresh English muffins in their bread sections.

I sometimes also see fresh locally produced bagels at the various Villa outlets. The local Au Bon Pain shops have their own locally produced variety...which some folks don't consider real bagels.

That's because they aint boiled :o

Sorry to sound like a Villa ad here...but...it is what it is...when it comes to farang food in Thailand...

I buy locally produced/no brand name jars of sliced sweet dill pickles at Villa for 55 baht a piece. They're typically located near the Mexican food products above the frozen food aisle.

Those compare to the jars of the commercial brand from the U.S., Vlasic I believe, which they have in spears...not slices, priced at an amazing about 350 baht for a large sized jar...

Take your pick... The local slices work just fine for my home hamburgers.

Thanks for the suggestion and advice. I don't have a grinder at home, at present, not to say I can't get one.

Silly me, though, looking for actual jars or tins of ground black pepper in the same places where I find ground white pepper and various kinds of salts... They may be there, but in those places, I've never noticed bags of whole black peppercorns. But I'll take a look again.

For the record though, I wasn't blaming Thailand for anything... including the apparent lack of ground black pepper. You ought to read what you're responding to...a bit more clearly.

Excellent point - and with a reasonable grinder, you can even adjust the coarseness

Of course, that would mean you are in control of the quality of the grind and you wouldn't be able to blame Thailand for not having the right product

About shoe laces, it really makes me wonder....

I have a ton of men's shoes (dress, casual and sports shoes) from the U.S. that all are the lace varieties...

But when I think about the Thai people I know and see here, they almost never seem to wear lace shoes.... It's always the slip-on/slip off varieties and sandals, etc etc.. And of course women tend to wear those styles anyway, as opposed to men.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but could that be the likely reason shoe laces are hard to come by here... that Thai people aren't big on wearing laced shoes???

Quality hardware things. Plastic things that aren't rejects from China & that break or decompose years before they should. & good American style BBQ sauce - Not the Kraft or A1 sauce

Talk to owner Mark at BBQ Sandwich King in Nonthaburi... I'm sure he can provide whatever you need. Last time I was there, he was even willing to custom make sauce flavors....

thats where Bangkok are beats Pattaya. No place here would attempt to duplicate anything. I will still bring back a case or 2 of sweet baby rays. Everyone that tries the sauce loves it. does anyone have a line on Mountain Dew?

Sorry to sound like a Villa ad here...but...it is what it is...when it comes to farang food in Thailand...

I buy locally produced/no brand name jars of sliced sweet dill pickles at Villa for 55 baht a piece. They're typically located near the Mexican food products above the frozen food aisle.

Those compare to the jars of the commercial brand from the U.S., Vlasic I believe, which they have in spears...not slices, priced at an amazing about 350 baht for a large sized jar...

Take your pick... The local slices work just fine for my home hamburgers.

John, I get my pepporcorns in the Spice section of Foodland or Villa. They are not in big bags, more like those little round containers that have herbs like rosemary, thyme etc. Not cheap, 100 baht up for a small bottle of tri-colour but very very good on steaks and salads etc.

But when I think about the Thai people I know and see here, they almost never seem to wear lace shoes.... It's always the slip-on/slip off varieties and sandals, etc etc.. And of course women tend to wear those styles anyway, as opposed to men.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but could that be the likely reason shoe laces are hard to come by here... that Thai people aren't big on wearing laced shoes???

Because Thais have to take off/put on their shoes at least 99 times a day. I too, have somehow adapted.