Things I Can't Find

lethe

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats where Bangkok are beats Pattaya. No place here would attempt to duplicate anything. I will still bring back a case or 2 of sweet baby rays. Everyone that tries the sauce loves it. does anyone have a line on Mountain Dew?

In the US, 5% of the pop drinkers drink Dr. Pepper and 4% drink Mountain Dew.  That may seem small potatoes when compared to the rest, but these two comprise the most fervantly loyal customers in the market.  I have advised several restaurants in my hometown to carry these, even if in cans, and with the construction workers in the area, they now have gathered a rather decent loyal lunch crowd from them (most of them coming for the Mountain Dew.)

I ahve alwasy thought that importing the two drinks would make somebody quite a bit of money.  I certainly would drive anywhere in Bangkok to buy Dr. Pepper, and while Iwas there, I would shop for my other items as well.

I ahve alwasy thought that importing the two drinks would make somebody quite a bit of money.  I certainly would drive anywhere in Bangkok to buy Dr. Pepper, and while Iwas there, I would shop for my other items as well.

Maybe, but how much would people be willing to pay? I love Perrier, but shudder at paying the price.

Anyone know where to get Dial Hand Soap here in Bangkok? Not the foaming one, but the old standard which looks like the pic I am attaching?

I had a gallon refill brought out from America a year ago but it's almost gone. I found the Dial Gold Bar Soap for my shower but this hand soap has eluded me.

BTW: I'd kill for some Mountain Dew, but thankfully have someone flying out late this year who promised to bring some for me.

post-26360-1236765503_thumb.jpg

Edited by tod-daniels

Anyone know where to get Dial Hand Soap here in Bangkok? Not the foaming one, but the old standard which looks like the pic I am attaching?

I had a gallon refill brought out from America a year ago but it's almost gone. I found the Dial Gold Bar Soap for my shower but this hand soap has eluded me.

BTW: I'd kill for some Mountain Dew, but thankfully have someone flying out late this year who promised to bring some for me.

Perhaps you should wai to your Thai driver and send him out on search for said items. Be sure to ask him nicely though as he may not like your tone and your Dial Hand Soap from America will come back as Laid Hand Soup from Buriam :o

Mountain Dew, haven't had that for decades it seems.

Walkers Crisps especialy Salt & Vinegar Flavour & Cheesy wotsits. I found some similar but they are not as yummy.

New Tops in the Central Beach mall had both of these plus quavers. AKA Foods behind Carrefour off Soi Yume has them too, and have also seen monstermunch but not sure which place

Hi :o

The one thing i need most - peanut worms!! It's a German snack, made from peanuts. German name is "Erdnuss-Flips", i been to every place that sells German food but nope, those they don't have, nowhere, ever. I could DIE for those!!

Best regards....

Thanh

post-13387-1236786827_thumb.jpg

then accept you will not get what you are used to at home.

Why accept what is not true? In urban Thailand I CAN get at least 90 percent of what I could get in the US. I am not always willing to pay the high price or accept the different quality for those things (for example I don't waste my money on the bad Mexican food in Pattaya). Believe me, in the US I did not eat hamburgers every day. Sometimes I went years between hamburgers. Not going to eat tom yum everyday in Thailand either, get a grip!

Hi :o

The one thing i need most - peanut worms!! It's a German snack, made from peanuts. German name is "Erdnuss-Flips", i been to every place that sells German food but nope, those they don't have, nowhere, ever. I could DIE for those!!

Best regards....

Thanh

We had them in Holland too... they were nice. Why dont you let someone send them :D its better as dying.

Hi :D

Best regards....

Thanh

Thank God the Germans built cars and left the Italians to look after cuisine :o

But i am ADDICTED to those!!

In Germany i always hat a stock of them, nothing better when watching TV or other boring activities..... These and Mezzo-Mix (also not available here, grr!) were often my main meal for the day :o I averaged like 10 bags per week.......

Here, i get one bag per year from a Pattaya-based friend who travels to Germany once a year, he brings me some.... i can't ask anyone in Germany because i have close to zero contact persons there and then there is the usual problem - how would i pay for them?

Should start some import business, Flips and Mezzo-Mix... and while we're at it, Dr. Pepper and Welch's (my secret favourite fizzy drink EVER! That American grape soda, even in Germany very difficult to get, only at U.S. army bases and via an American friend because they would let Germans in but not allow to buy anything!)

Best regards....

Thanh

post-13387-1236822771_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1236822785_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1236822805_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1236822834_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1236822846_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1236822945_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Sorry to sound like a Villa ad here...but...it is what it is...when it comes to farang food in Thailand...

I buy locally produced/no brand name jars of sliced sweet dill pickles at Villa for 55 baht a piece. They're typically located near the Mexican food products above the frozen food aisle.

Those compare to the jars of the commercial brand from the U.S., Vlasic I believe, which they have in spears...not slices, priced at an amazing about 350 baht for a large sized jar...

Take your pick... The local slices work just fine for my home hamburgers.

the local pickles are crap and the vlasik are rarely in stock where i live

Walkers Crisps especialy Salt & Vinegar Flavour & Cheesy wotsits. I found some similar but they are not as yummy.

New Tops in the Central Beach mall had both of these plus quavers. AKA Foods behind Carrefour off Soi Yume has them too, and have also seen monstermunch but not sure which place

Villa stocks Walker's S&V.

Edited by polecat

I have a very (simple) small little thing I have been trying to find :

- 75 - 90 cm black shoe strings.

Impossible to find ( so far I checked : 7xBATA Stores, Emporium and 3 Robbie's)

I second this.... I can not find shoe strings anywhere.... I have looked in every shoe store and no one has shoe strings.... how odd is that.

I have given up and unless someone can advise where to buy them, I plan on buying some while I am in the states next month.

I bought some at Central Chitlom. I can't remember the exact floor, but it was near the shoes... caveat though, the shoes in the sporting goods section.

Maybe, but how much would people be willing to pay? I love Perrier, but shudder at paying the price.

That is the point.  There are some products which are fairly price insensitive.  Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew are two such for the truly loyal customers.  I doubt very much that too many casual Coke drinkers would care to pay more when, let's say,  Pepsi is available. But I certainly would pay more for a Dr. Pepper.  In the US, I pay $0.25 per can.  Would I pay $2.00 here in THailand?  Sure I would.  How many people here don't hesitate to pay 70 baht for a beer?

(I bring back several cases on each trip, but I am down to my last 7 cans right now, and I am already going through mental  withdrawal! :o  )

And I am sure there are those must-have products from other countries where people will pay through the nose to get their fix.

In the US, I pay $0.25 per can. Would I pay $2.00 here in THailand? Sure I would. How many people here don't hesitate to pay 70 baht for a beer?

Does beer cost $0.25 per can in the USA? :o

Just for a can tho :D

Edited by teacup

Those peanut wormies look like brown cheese doodles. Good for a dry bath.

Maybe its a good thing after all that we can't get EVERYTHING here.

post-37101-1236800575_thumb.jpg

Never heard of brown cheese doodles. Maybe you should consider trying that:

Sorry to sound like a Villa ad here...but...it is what it is...when it comes to farang food in Thailand...

I buy locally produced/no brand name jars of sliced sweet dill pickles at Villa for 55 baht a piece. They're typically located near the Mexican food products above the frozen food aisle.

Those compare to the jars of the commercial brand from the U.S., Vlasic I believe, which they have in spears...not slices, priced at an amazing about 350 baht for a large sized jar...

Take your pick... The local slices work just fine for my home hamburgers.

the local pickles are crap and the vlasik are rarely in stock where i live

They have Belgian pickles in Foodland, they are the same as Uk ones the brand is Devos-Lemmens DL;

I saw a thai woman on suk rd the other day pulling behind her one of those two-wheeled wire basket kinds with a handle, so clearly there here somewhere... Perfect for a medium grocery shopping, but wheels a bit small for bkk's tattered sidewalks...