Phuket's Back -

The_Moog

(...I now own the copyright on that headline. )

My impressions of the last 4 days, and trying to be objective and impartial.

The resort I stayed in was pretty much deserted, and in some ways they haven't responded very intelligently - cancelling shuttle buses to Patong (I would have liked to have gone and had a meal there and bought some souvenirs in some show of support).

Food availability in restaurants was curtailed fairly substantially, - more a function of lack of guests they claimed - though one restaurant was shut due to damage.

Hotel rates for people showing up without reservations are at the same (extortionate) level as pre Xmas - and no deals are on offer - so the place remains empty-ish. My friends from Hong Kong enquired, then went to Surin.

Transport prices to and from airport remains at scandalous, mafia-riddled levels.

Having said that - the seclusion is fine for a holiday - and myself, Mrs Moog, and Moog-in-the-womb had a great time.

Did I find myself looking out to see scannng the horizon for big waves - yes.

Did I speculate re bloated bodies popping up by me as I swam in the sea - yes.

Nothing like that did happen, but no matter how clean and pristine it looks, you can't help but remember that something grisly took place. There's so much competition among destinations now, that tourists might simply automatically discard Phuket for now and go to Caribbean/Cancun/Benidorm

I look forward to going back to Phuket- though wild horses wouldn't drag me to Khao Lak or Phi Phi for a holiday.

Wouldn't even mind getting a villa in Phuket if the froth comes off the market - and my view of macro-economics is that it isn't necessarily harmful when property prices drop - in much the same way as say, cheaper food or lower beer prices.

At this stage its pure speculation what will happen so those that stoicially declare that million dollar prices will not fall are frankly, just guessing. We will see.

Anyway, Phuket's back.