Liquor Laws In The Los

Monkey Boy

Does anybody know if / why /when the licensing laws changed in relation to buying alcohol in shops and supermarkets?

I recently tried to buy a case of beer in Tesco Lotus in Ubon and was told that since it was before 17:00 (it was actually 16:30), they couldn't allow me to purchase the beer???

Had to go to a small shop outside and get a warm case for the weekend. :o

Yesterday at the cashier of Makro at 16.20 h they also got me on the wrong foot. We did some food shopping but there was also a case of Singha beer in our trolley (translates "shopping cart" to the esteemed American audience).

"With this customer card (my company card) you can not buy the beer".

My wife pulled out her private customer card assuming the problem was related to the card only which wasn't certainly the case. Fortunately, I recalled that the subject was raised a few days before at thaivisa.com (one more time thanks, George for initiating the inside scoop bible for expat life in LOS - just wondering how we could ever do before without it :o ) and so I kept the overview in this extreme critically phase. Heaps of confused speechless Makro employees around not having the real clue armed with a shy and helpless smile only while me the four-eyed farang was riding the wave of knowledge.

Eventually, it turned out we had the option to use the business customer card but had to acquire a minimum of 2 cases.

What alternative did we have but get going and add another 12 bots 'cos we just had only one bottle left in our fridge and did not feel waiting for another 1/2 hour or return on another day at legal time.

Usually, we consume just one bottle of beer at dinner time (I share with my wife).

To cope with the situation there are surely various options of view now:

- We are happy because we only have to shop for beer in about 3 weeks again

- I double my daily beer intake, build a beer belly, tear my hair out and move to Pattaya mixing with the German crowd there

- I appreciate the opportunity of vitalizing the Thai retail economy

- I make a puzzled face and just say mai pen rai

- I pop a bot and ponder about what approach is the best

Wanna join me just hit Makro at an indecent hour and shop for beer :D

Cheers (chon gaeow lae rong chok dee na duai gan),

:D

How discriminating indeed. If you can afford two cases you will be served. :o

May be next time try one case, but open it, and open one can (or bottle?.

Wonder how to handle.

Or load up with an uneven number of various brands. "if I cannot buy all, I don't buy at all" and let them return it.

The latter, btw, I used to do in SIN-airport, flying to Malaysia, being told at the cashiers' that travellers to Malaysia had no duty free privileges, than left all with the cashier. (Later the rule was changed and signs came up, that pax for Mal. can buy DF)

Wonder how to handle.

hmm, let me think…

- they handcuff you to that cute little cashier lady to hinder you leaving the shop with the beer before alcohol releasing time, you will be spotted by your wife and divored after 99 year of happy marriag and eventually end-up for the rest of your life in deep poverty

- you will be declared as the new “Axel of evil” and lose face in LOS for once and forever

- you have to finish all the other bottles/cans in the case to destroy the evidence, pay for the damage and get invited to come back tomorrow to repeat the procedure

- you get off the hook unpunished upon admitting to have committed an honest mistake

Afterall, don’t throw your life away or put it in jeopardy and just get drunk within the time limits. Buuurbadee khrab – see ya at Makro’s,

:o

Does anybody know if / why /when the licensing laws changed in relation to buying alcohol in shops and supermarkets?

I recently tried to buy a case of beer in Tesco Lotus in Ubon and was told that since it was before 17:00 (it was actually 16:30), they couldn't allow me to purchase the beer???

Had to go to a small shop outside and get a warm case for the weekend.  :o

If you were to read further you will find you topic is the 4th such in a space of a few weeks.............full marks to you though,the four answers you have received at this time provides more info than all my 35 put together. And no snidy,worthless comments. Good on yer mate :D

How discriminating indeed. If you can afford two cases you will be served.  :o

Wonder how to handle.

Or load up with an uneven number of various brands. "if I cannot buy all, I don't buy at all" and let them return it.

The latter, btw, I used to do in SIN-airport, flying to Malaysia, being told at the cashiers' that travellers to Malaysia had no duty free privileges, than left all with the cashier. (Later the rule was changed and signs came up, that pax for Mal. can buy DF)

I think the notice in the supermarkets says,its the customer that can also be fined for trying to buy.

Anyone else have no problem in 7-11's,the 1 or 2 I tried served me in Pattaya

7-11 same same but different in some (particular tourist) spots. Bkk in general more difficult within "prohibited hours". Rgd. "wholesale" purchase: how much bottles of Jack Daniels is a "wholesale" amount? Last week Tesco wouldn't let me buy 2, will try 6 next time, maybe it works, will keep u informed about the result(s) asap.

There was a time that I always wanted to know the logic behind things.

I wanted to know 'why' things are as they are.

I still have the tendency to look for an understanding of rules and regulations.

Because laws, rules and regulations exist also on my behalve.

I found this particular one a very difficult one, if not impossible to solve.

First I tried for myself, then I started to ask others. In vain.

You can not buy alcohol between 11 and 5 in some big shops, mostly located out of town.

In all other shops you can buy alcohol all the time, that literary means on every corner.

So it can not be related to the consumtion as such. Nobody will drink less for it.

If you look at the profile of the people shopping at the stores that are concerned, it can not be related to the age of the consumers either.

The only reason I could think of is a rather simplified way to support the small neighbourhood shops and to stimulate the drinking of beverages which these little shops sell. Maybe less foreign products like wine and certain kinds of the stronger materials.

But still it remains a very 'constructed' reason. The real reason is probably a-logic and should be searched for in the category 'it is like this, because I say it is like this'.

But I am curious. Please !

There was a time that I always wanted to know the logic behind things.

I wanted to know 'why'  things are as they are.

I still have the tendency to look for an understanding of rules and regulations.

Because laws, rules and regulations exist also on my behalve.

I found this particular one a very difficult one, if not impossible to solve.

First I tried for myself, then I started to ask others. In vain.

You can not buy alcohol between 11 and 5 in some big shops, mostly located out of town.

In all other shops you can buy alcohol all the time, that literary means on every corner.

So it can not be related to the consumtion as such. Nobody will drink less for it.

If you look at the profile of the people shopping at the stores that are concerned, it can not be related to the age of the consumers either.

The only reason I could think of is a rather simplified way to support the small neighbourhood shops and to stimulate the drinking of beverages which these little shops sell. Maybe less foreign products like wine and certain kinds of the stronger materials.

But still it remains a very 'constructed' reason. The real reason is probably a-logic and should be searched for in the category 'it is like this, because I say it is like this'.

But I am curious. Please !

I agree to a point that 'It must be because I say it must be' We for one were told that if we did not comply we would lose our licence. A number of lesser establishments probably do not have licences to lose so Thai logic prevails. How can I lose something I have not got? so it does not apply to me.Others with the normal Thai intellegence will think that if they lose their licence then they can go out and buy another one. But still,with all these topics,replys,witisisms,hints no-one has yet come up with a cast iron ruling or where it originated. Come on lads. Surely somebody knows the truth.

I had a similar problem in Carrafor (or whoever its spelt) in CMX bought 5 bottles of Heineken but when we got to the Checkout they said we had to buy another 7 to make it up to a case. What is this logic, of trying to make us drink less by not allowing us to buy booze between 2pm and 5pm but then saying we can have a case and get really bladdered, they must know a farang would rather have (and can probably afford) a case than nothing. TIT methinks, cant understand it at all

I had a similar problem in Carrafor (or whoever its spelt) in CMX bought 5 bottles of Heineken but when we got to the Checkout they said we had to buy another 7 to make it up to a case. What is this logic, of trying to make us drink less by not allowing us to buy booze between 2pm and 5pm but then saying we can have a case and get really bladdered, they must know a farang would rather have (and can probably afford) a case than nothing. TIT methinks, cant understand it at all

I think the new law states ' People must not drink socially,they must drink to get absolutely sh1tfaced'..............After all there is no other plausible explaination :o