Travel On Uk Settlement Visa

Hi All,

My wife is living in the UK on a 2 year settlement visa, we are hoping to go on holiday in the summer, but would like to know are their any other countries which she can travel to without going though all the trouble of applying for a visa,or any where we can go where getting a visa is easy, as she would like to travel somewhere different than England and Thailand.

Many Thanks

cfrmatt

I took my wife to Switzerland to visit friends a couple of years ago and she was able to enter on her UK Spouses visa - we had to fly there directly from UK as we couldn't transit other countries. I just checked the Swiss Embassy website but cannot find the examples page of visas they accept so not sure if this has changed now.

Hi All,

My wife is living in the UK on a 2 year settlement visa, we are hoping to go on holiday in the summer, but would like to know are their any other countries which she can travel to without going though all the trouble of applying for a visa,or any where we can go where getting a visa is easy, as she would like to travel somewhere different than England and Thailand.

Many Thanks

cfrmatt

You can go to quite a few places , were in the same boat so we are off to the Dominican on the 26th of this month ,, same price 5 star all inc as Ibiza , but without all the schengen nonsense and having to risk both your passports in the post etc ,,,,,other places off the top me head , Seychelles,,, Maldive Islands ,, Singapore . Malasia,, you cannot NOW go to Switzerland it is in the schengen group now ok ? good luck enjoy

Hi All,

Many Thanks

cfrmatt

You can go to quite a few places , were in the same boat so we are off to the Dominican on the 26th of this month ,, same price 5 star all inc as Ibiza , but without all the schengen nonsense and having to risk both your passports in the post etc ,,,,,other places off the top me head , Seychelles,,, Maldive Islands ,, Singapore . Malasia,, you cannot NOW go to Switzerland it is in the schengen group now ok ? good luck enjoy

Many Thanks for all your help

This sounds harsh but a general rule of thumb is that someone with a thai passport will need a visa for most of the so called developed countries, ie - western europe, USA, scandinavia etc. They often will not need a visa for "non" developed countries such as asia, south america, africa, but always check the embassy sites of the country you wish to visit.

There has been some discussion about the merits of indefinate leave to remain and british citizenship. It seems a no brainer to me, if you qualify then get british citizenshio and a british passport, you will be able to travel much more freeely.

• 3 weeks later...

Like cfrmatt, my wife is also currently here in the UK on a 2 year settlement visa. We would like to visit Spain together for a holiday this summer but having had a look at the Schengen visa requirements on the Spanish embassy web site this states that to gain entry as a spouse of a EU citizen, she should have been granted permanent residence. The same web site mentions that if she does not have permanent residence she may be refused. My wife won't in fact gain permanent residency for another 13 months so according to this requirement she could have her visa refused. What would other members of this forum advise we do? What is the likelihood of the embassy rejecting her application if we submit this year?

Thanks

mermot

If she is here with a 2 year settlement visa then she is classed as a permanent resident for this purpose.

Remember, too, that as she is the spouse of an EEA national, most of the requirements and questions on the form do not apply to her.

Edited by 7by7

Hi All,

Many Thanks

cfrmatt

Anybody who's been granted more than 1 year LTE/R in the UK can visit Gibraltar without a visa. Trouble is, you're kicking your heels after a couple of days or so, and even to do a side trip on the ferry to Tangier she'd need a visa.

Hi All,

Many Thanks

cfrmatt

The list is easy to find in google. There are more countries than you might think, as I remember a number of S American countries were visa free, so were a few in Africa. I am UK and me and the TW have just got back from New Zealand (big form,long queue(of forms) in Bangkok NZ embassy but no problems)

• 6 months later...

Hi everybody....... I am wondering if you can help me. I am a from the uk and my wife is thai she has a 2 year visa and next year my sister is getting married in cyprus. Do we need to apply for a visa for Cyprus or can she just go???????

It's not that difficult applying for a schengen visa as a spouse of EU citizen. All you need is the form, the marriage certificate (translated and certified) and passports. The French can do it within one day (albeit long wait to get appointment especially at peak season). No fees, no questions asked.

We applied for a German Schengen and had an interview ( just a document formality) and made the trip to London part of a weekend break living in the North west. Subsequent Schengens were renewed by post without fuss. I think this can now be applied for by post without interview the last time I looked at the website. We also got 2 Canadian visas by post although they did charge they were issued without fuss.Now my wife has citizenship they are a thing of the past.

You could try Canada My wife and I just returned from a army reunion in canada we decided to take our daughter who has lived and worked in the UK for the last 8 years but still has a Thai passport She applied for a holiday visa and proved she was travelling with us cost £40 took 3 hours to obtain in London