Visa For Tourist Visit. Ticket Requirements

Some one must know the definative answer.

My fiance has a tourist visa to visit UK. She wants to travel on same flight as me. [The return section of my flight]. I can buy a single trip from Jet Airlines on same flight as me.

Will UK Immigration accept her into UK without a return ticket.

We intend to sychronise our future travel by purchasing tickets in UK.

I can book return flights from UK to BKK and have E-Ticket confirmation, but do not want to do this unless I have to.

Trying to get this information out of the British Embassy in BKK was a dead loss.

VFS only answer standard questions by reference back to their website. Aaaaagh!!! :o

Your girlfriend will have to convince the Immigration Officer, if asked, on arrival in the UK that she intends to abide by the terms of her visa and return at the end of the trip, this might be difficult with a one way ticket. It's very unlikely that she will be refused entry into the UK unless the officer can prove that material facts in the application have changed, and given that UK Visas advise you not to purchase a ticket until the visa is granted, the material facts will not have changed.

It's probably unlikely that the IO would ask for proof of a return ticket, but they might. You might ask Jet if they would board her with a one way ticket, if only to put your minds at rest.

You don't HAVE to have a return ticket when you enter the UK on a visit visa, but I think you run the risk of a bit of a grilling at LHR if she doesn't have one. They will want to know the reason why she doesn't have one and you better have a reason for not having bought one other than you couldn't afford one, as this may set alarm bells ringing in the immigration officers head. You may even be asked for proof of the ability to pay for one. Is there a particular reason for not getting the return ticket now? Normally 2 single tickets cost more than a return, so it makes financial sense to buy a return. If you get her the return ticket, you'll breeze through immigration, but not having one may mean you have a few questions to answer.

You don't HAVE to have a return ticket when you enter the UK on a visit visa, but I think you run the risk of a bit of a grilling at LHR if she doesn't have one. They will want to know the reason why she doesn't have one and you better have a reason for not having bought one other than you couldn't afford one, as this may set alarm bells ringing in the immigration officers head. You may even be asked for proof of the ability to pay for one. Is there a particular reason for not getting the return ticket now? Normally 2 single tickets cost more than a return, so it makes financial sense to buy a return. If you get her the return ticket, you'll breeze through immigration, but not having one may mean you have a few questions to answer.

The latest reply from VFS IS

This is a matter for the Immigration at the airport. We are responsible for the visa to enter to UK. We are unable to answer this type of enquiry. Please note; you may need to be prepared to answer such question with the officer if the need arises and answer correctly. I also want to buy our return tickets from UK for the foreseeable future because it is cheaper and easier. I have a ticket to return so she only needs one trip to synchronise.

I am inclined to tough it out but if I get scared at the last minute before departing BKK I can book both our return flights in UK and get an email verification. Trouble is that I do not want to set my return date as I have a lot to do in UK and do not want to be on a deadline until I have more information.

Edited by peterpop

There is no requirement under the immigration rules for a visitor to hold a return or onward ticket. Though as said she may be questioned at immigration and have to show she has the funds available to purchase a ticket before being allowed entry.

However, the problem may come when you check in with the airline at BKK. If a passenger is refused entry to the UK (or any destination) then the airline not only has to return the traveller to their embarkation point at the airline's expense, but also pay a substantial fine. Therefore the airline may be reluctant to carry her if she only has a one way ticket as they may be afraid she will be refused entry.

You also need to be aware that VFS are not responsible for the visa to enter the UK, they are responsible for accepting the application, checking the papers against a check-list and forwarding to UK Visas at The British Embassy, and then handing the sealed envelope containing the passport back to the applicant.

You will also recall that when your girlfriend submitted her application for a visa she would have indicated the dates of her trip, if you say to an IO that you don't know the date of the return trip, as stated earlier, that will ring alarm bells. If she stays considerably longer than the date on the original application it could feasibly cause a problem with any future application.

This is a matter for the Immigration at the airport. We are responsible for the visa to enter to UK. We are unable to answer this type of enquiry. Please note; you may need to be prepared to answer such question with the officer if the need arises and answer correctly. I also want to buy our return tickets from UK for the foreseeable future because it is cheaper and easier. I have a ticket to return so she only needs one trip to synchronise.

I am inclined to tough it out but if I get scared at the last minute before departing BKK I can book both our return flights in UK and get an email verification. Trouble is that I do not want to set my return date as I have a lot to do in UK and do not want to be on a deadline until I have more information.

They are correct in saying they can't answer this query. For this kind of question you should really go to the UK Embassy in Bangkok or the UK Border Agency. VFS are a private company that collate and submit visa applications.

They are correct in saying they can't answer this query. For this kind of question you should really go to the UK Embassy in Bangkok or the UK Border Agency. VFS are a private company that collate and submit visa applications.

I have chickened out and bought tickets for our return journey. Actually very good price for 1 year return at £864 [for two tickets]

I have chickened out and bought tickets for our return journey. Actually very good price for 1 year return at £864 [for two tickets]

I think you've done the right thing in order to have a smooth journey home. The last thing you want when you arrive off a long fright is a grilling and delay at immigration.