What Thai Companies Would You Say Are Well-run ?

I only encounter Thai companies as a customer, I've never worked for one, although I've been employed by several multi-nationals round the globe over-the-years.

But I was wondering, just which Thai companies would TV-members consider to be well-run, by international standards of management, and why ? I'm thinking about production-efficiency or customer-friendliness, marketing savvy or creativity in developing new ideas, good training of their staff or motivation, that sort of thing.

Dusit Thani hotel

Other than that, it's mostly foreign chains or factories.

The entire South East Asia has only a few World brands : Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Samsung....not even Asus has made it up there yet.

As you can read elsewhere, those Thai conglomerates and families that own them "have no strategies, they just do deals".

It might help if you said exactly why you are asking the question. These measures you have mentioned seem to be very subjective, hence all you will generate are some individual's opinions based on personal experiences. If that's all you want, then fine.

But if you are thinking investment then i would suggest that you go to google/yahoo and type in "thailand companies good governance" and see what you generate. Various organisation have regular surveys and generate lists of the best companies based on objective criteria. These include SET, professional bodies, and business magazines like Forbes, asiamoney etc etc.

Regional press and Forbes mention Siam Cement Group, Central Pattana Dept Stores/hotels, & Charoen Phokpand Foods, although, I don't have much first hand exposure with these companies.

One thing I would say, is that the local banks would certainly NOT be on the list. Having been a customer of one, and a consultant to another local bank, their poor decision-making and bureaucratic approach to dealing with customers can be quite dismaying.

It might help if you said exactly why you are asking the question. These measures you have mentioned seem to be very subjective, hence all you will generate are some individual's opinions based on personal experiences. If that's all you want, then fine.

Thanks, yes, all I was looking for was others' personal opinions. I leave investment to the experts, and know I'm not very good at it, but retain my interest in management styles & success-stories.

I was started on musing this, as applied locally, by the thought that many Thai companies have ex-military people on their boards, and wondered if this made them better or worse at actually running things ?

Regional press and Forbes mention Siam Cement Group, Central Pattana Dept Stores/hotels, & Charoen Phokpand Foods, although, I don't have much first hand exposure with these companies.

One thing I would say, is that the local banks would certainly NOT be on the list. Having been a customer of one, and a consultant to another local bank, their poor decision-making and bureaucratic approach to dealing with customers can be quite dismaying.

I'd certainly agree with SCG. I have worked with them on several projects and am always impressed at their professionalism, CSR projects and how they treat their staff. Great company.

I think PTT should be on the list, though there are some left over issues from when it was wholly government owned. The 2008 4Q loss posted was due to oil prices and the impacts on inventories which were beyond management controls.

TH