Broke German Arsonist Arrested

saneroad

Strange, seem some German people might have been willing to return to Germany or at the very lease contact his Embassy. I wonder what is the Policy of most Embassies in Thailand and other part of the world is on help their citizens without Funds return to the home country?

His" friends" wouldn't accept his collect call. :o:D:D

I'm sorry to spoil the "fun" that some of you are having at this sad man's expense, just thought I'd tell you a little story....

A few years ago, a very good friend of mine ended up in the Immigration Detention Centre (entirely his own fault, so no problem with that!). However, whilst he was there waiting for me to sort out his air fare with the British consul, he witnessed an Austrian man suffering from a similar mental illness being systematically beaten and abused by the Thai inmates, watched by the warders with amusement. Eventually the man was beaten to death.

Just hope a similar fate doesn't await this poor chap, but don't let that trouble you, just go on making silly jokes about him if it makes you feel better.

Edited by catmac

I am surprised that Thailand doesn't have more foreign mental cases. Given the often bizarre way of living plus all the sex scene, I would have thought that it would attract more than its fair share of people having break downs or other mental diseases.

At least he didn't insult HM the King, and phone booths in every country tend to get vandalized.

I wonder if the police do have any policy toward foreign beggars. There used to be a few around Suriwongse about a year ago and they were there for about 6months, one without any shoes. He told me he's from Holland, and came to Koh Sahn road but couldn't kick his heroin habit so ended up without money and sleeping under bridges and begging in the evening around patpong. But later on he was banned from patpong with all the market vendors playing games at not allowing him entry and having a good laugh at him. I read in this forum he ended up being used as a sex slave to some Thai girl who desperately wanted a baby but then kicked him out later on.

No sympathy, if you're willing to walk the concrete jungles of Asia then expect to be bitten if you act like a <deleted>!

This guy is no exception.

Pack him off and bundle him away.

He's not a <deleted>....clearly he is mentally disturbed.

Pack him off?? No. Just get him the help he needs. there for the grace of God go I....always remember that. He didn't start out the way he has ended up.

Big deal....scorching a bit of paint from a few scruffy phone booths? The state of the rest of the country and they worry about this??? Nah....Thais can wreck the place and it doesn't matter. A foreigner scorches a bit of paint and all hel_l break loose. Ah yes. The usual predictable double standards here.

I saw this poor chap on the Thai news yesterday. He had long straggly hair and a beard and looked like a homeless guy.

From what they showed on the news, he was melting some of the paint off a wall at the bottom of a couple of phone booths with a lighter. It appeared to be more vandalism than arson. He apparently was angry that homeless Thai's were giving him the boot from sleeping in bus stations. Very pathetic indeed. Apparently he was a former soldier in Germany.

Well, it looks like the Thais gave him a bath and cleaned him up for the picture. Something to be said about their kindness and care for him. I do wonder if his state was such that he no longer understood right from wrong or whether it was instead a manifestation of self centered behaviour. The abandonment by friends and family is a hint.

Big deal to the military service. It was mandatory for someone his age. I doubt the mental illness came as the result of battlefield injuries, since the Germans of his generation didn't contribute frontline personnel to UN peace keeping operations According to the newspaper, he was in the construction industry. Maybe he was just a hard hat that had too much fun in Pattaya and burnt out. Wouldn't be the first one to do that.

thailand the "last chance saloon" for many westerners.

I am not an English native though I hope my English is good. (My friends say so, but i don't know)

What is a last chance saloon?

Thanks

The "Last Chance Saloon" is a small, pretty dilapidated looking bar on Walking Street in Pattaya that also has an internet cafe affiliated with it in the next shop house, wedged between a couple of Indian tailor shops. It's already pretty well known as the source of over 85% of the Thailand internet bride scams and there's actually a waiting list for local lasses to get inside, logged on and shopping for their very own, special Mr A.T.M. Sadbastard. It also draws in the elderly farang balloon chasers & coffin-dodgers with it's 2-for-1, all-day-every-day happy-hour specials on Chang. The less worldly of these customers help out the girls... I should say women, with their internet chats and emails to their sponsors. I have heard that some blokes get their beer tabs paid this way but I think that's just the haters talking. There's no airconditioning and somehow they manage to flaunt the no-smoking rule and you can see them all sitting around nursing their warm beers, coughing and wingeing about the bloody heat and the cost of visa runs and swapping notes on which of the local women are possibly 'nice girls' and which ones are bad 'uns.

Their pizza is quite awesome btw.

Sounds like he is mentally ill, I wonder what will happen to the poor bloke, I can already imagine the conditions he is in... Hope someone sponsors him in prison at least, prison is hel_l here without a sponsor...

The 33 baht a day the Thai government has put aside for the expenses of each prisoner is not enough.

Edited by aussiejosh

Sounds like he is mentally ill, I wonder what will happen to the poor bloke, I can already imagine the conditions he is in... Hope someone sponsors him in prison at least, prison is hel_l here without a sponsor...

The 33 baht a day the Thai government has put aside for the expenses of each prisoner is not enough.

He most likely will be deported. He is collecting a German state pension, so I would expect that an arrangement will be made with the German embassy to send him back. The pension will be garnished. You're right though since prison is the last place he should be as he will get into a fight and be maimed or killed. I'm surprised none of the local German expat organizations that raise money for the disadvantaged haven't tried to help. Then again, embassies work behind the scenes and do intervene.

I am not an English native though I hope my English is good. (My friends say so, but i don't know)

Thanks

"Last Chance Saloon" is an English/American slang expression. It means a place or situation that is your last chance to make a success of your life. The poster meant that many westerners who have screwed up their lives in the west, come to Thailand hoping they can succeed here. The term "Last Chance Saloon" comes from those bars and pubs on the edge of a wilderness. They have signs saying - "this is your last chance for a drink".

Thanks

"Last Chance Saloon" is an English/American slang expression. It means a place or situation that is your last chance to make a success of your life. The poster meant that many westerners who have screwed up their lives in the west, come to Thailand hoping they can succeed here. The term "Last Chance Saloon" comes from those bars and pubs on the edge of a wilderness. They have signs saying - "this is your last chance for a drink".

Thanks RCR

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we expect our embassy to be a blank check when we cause a problem or become a problem in Thailand. Unfortunately there are a few people in this world who should not be allowed to marry, have children, and travel to Thailand.

Why do we expect our embassy to be a blank check when we cause a problem or become a problem in Thailand. Unfortunately there are a few people in this world who should not be allowed to marry, have children, and travel to Thailand.

You happen to have some special entitlement in this world ? Some millionaires woke up one morning to find scant funds available or at thier disposal , remember the old song "It could happen to you " , do people have no empathy for no-one any more ? I cannot believe some of the comments about this person who , for whatever reason , finished up the way he has , wierd things happen as people age , mentally and physically .

You happen to have some special entitlement in this world ? Some millionaires woke up one morning to find scant funds available or at thier disposal , remember the old song "It could happen to you " , do people have no empathy for no-one any more ? I cannot believe some of the comments about this person who , for whatever reason , finished up the way he has , wierd things happen as people age , mentally and physically .

Are you trying to tell us that you're about to head out and burn some things Dumball? :o

Hardly arson.

Melting bus shelters and phone boxes with a lighter is petty vandalism.

Melting a few unwanted phone boxes that block the pavements could be considered a service to the community, in my opinion. :o

Are you trying to tell us that you're about to head out and burn some things Dumball? :o

I never burn bridges , in fact I try to build them (Favourite subject of yours ? :D ) , I am heading out for a while as a matter of fact , you phsycic or something ? I fly to my home base to get reaquainted with family/friends and meet my new great-grandchildren , seems I have 4 more , have to take a plane this time though , my old arms won't make it that far any more , about all I can manage these days is to 'Fly off the handle'. :D

Thanks

The "Last Chance Saloon" is a small, pretty dilapidated looking bar on Walking Street in Pattaya that also has an internet cafe affiliated with it in the next shop house, wedged between a couple of Indian tailor shops. It's already pretty well known as the source of over 85% of the Thailand internet bride scams and there's actually a waiting list for local lasses to get inside, logged on and shopping for their very own, special Mr A.T.M. Sadbastard. It also draws in the elderly farang balloon chasers & coffin-dodgers with it's 2-for-1, all-day-every-day happy-hour specials on Chang. The less worldly of these customers help out the girls... I should say women, with their internet chats and emails to their sponsors. I have heard that some blokes get their beer tabs paid this way but I think that's just the haters talking. There's no airconditioning and somehow they manage to flaunt the no-smoking rule and you can see them all sitting around nursing their warm beers, coughing and wingeing about the bloody heat and the cost of visa runs and swapping notes on which of the local women are possibly 'nice girls' and which ones are bad 'uns.

Are you being serious about this explanation??

Are you being serious about this explanation??

Yes, the pizza is the best in town.

Everyone I know has their funds spread across multiple bank accounts, some in different countries. The funds that can be accessed via an ATM card from the streets of Thailand are only a drop in the bucket of their complete portfolio. I just don't understand how someone can put themeselves in such a position.

everyone i know , multiple bank accounts in different countries , a drop in the bucket of their complete portfolios.

you sound madder than the german.