possible housing assistance

REAL work permit (paid by CO)

multiple entry Non-B visa (paid by CO)

life insurance

monthly bonuses

medical insurance

advancement opportunities

++++

This is an estimate, not black and white, of the benefits that may be offered. The exact numbers would be dependent on the "qualified person" and their negotiation skills.

yes, .... and paid vacation, public holidays, and a year contract after a probationary period.

And during the "probationary period" no job security, no work permit, and the risk of being deported at any time? Is that correct? Great benefits. :o Please don't misunderstand me, I know there are many rogue teachers out there but that's no excuse to offer a minimum wages and benefits package to the rest of us. If you do a proper job at interview time there really should be no problem. You can hardly expect to get "exceptional teachers" for what you are offering, and I for one get fed up with this sales talk.

Edited by brianbrain

REAL work permit (paid by CO)

multiple entry Non-B visa (paid by CO)

That sounds like a contradiction to me.

If the person will have a valid work permit, then the multi-entry visa is irrelevant.

It should be a single entry, extended for one year, with a re-entry permit if necessary.

I would treat this job with suspicion!!

Thank you all for your input.

To clarify, the work permit is processed before the job begins. The "probationary period" mainly applies to bonuses there after.

Entry level, not sure I'd say that. Its a rewarding and challenging position with room for advancement. But in any case there is nothing wrong with entry level jobs as I'm certain many come here searching for just that, to start out.

No sales talk. Just looking for some individuals who are POSITIVE thinking and are looking for a great job!

Thanks for generating interest. Much appreciated.

The visa:

From one point of view, yes the multiple entry is not necessary as you only head to the boarder to extend your visa. Single entry, 1 year.

However, for those who get paid vacation and may want to travel to Loas, Myanmar, Vietnam,......or even home for their paid vacation then multiple entry is provided.

Have it your way, any way.

Yes, but having a multiple entry won't help at all in the manner you suggest. Basically once they have a work permit they'll not be able to use the multiple entries, as if they do (exit and re-enter) they'll lose the WP and Visa extension. They'd need to get a re-entry permit (if they have a WP and thus an extended Visa) for when they leave the country as otherwise everything will be lost, and they'd have to start the process all over again. A multiple entry will NOT help at all!

Also generally you don't get a one year extension at the border, you get it from Immigration in conjunction with your work permit!

Edited by kenkannif

I am not a teacher nor do I wish to be one, but I would like to ask why are members treating the OP with suspicion?

From what I have read the salary isn't great but I am sure there are some people out there who would like to live and work in Ko Sumui (cant stand the place myself but each to their own).

As far as the multiple entry visa goes, OK the OP got it wrong, but why does it pi## off TV members if the school is not "proper". I have worked in Thailand and realise that a w/p is needed, the OP is offering one, so whats the problem?

1. Yay! You're not a teacher! That's so cool! :o

2. The OP has shown a bit of ignorance in how visas and work permits work here. That's a bad sign. If OP had successfully granted such things in the past, he/she would know *exactly* how they worked- as does everyone who's ever been tormented through the process. Yes, yes, OP is promising that things will work out- just like at every teaching job I ever had here which didn't eventually get me a work permit (i.e., lied or was incompetent). You can *not* take schools/individuals' word here on these kinds of things- an important point for teaching newbies here. Educate yourself first a bit about work permits, teacher licenses, and visas, and see if your prospective "employer" knows as much as you do! If not, why not?

3. Why does it get us PO'ed? Because teachers get jerked around enough by schools and the government here- if the school wants a backpacker they should make it clear- not drag a newbie who might be looking for a real job into a no-visa mess. Because it means they're probably lying about something. Because, in case it wasn't clear enough to you yet from reading Thai visa, TO WORK WITHOUT THE PROPER VISA AND WORK PERMIT IS ILLEGAL.

Ta!

"Steven"

^ Absolutely agree with the above. Thailand is the only place I have ever worked where, if you get the work permit at all (not in any way guaranteed, despite empty promises and assurances which may be made at interview), it is often towards the end of your contract, rather than at the begining! For me, a proper residence visa and work permit is not a "perk" or a bargaining chip - it is an essential pre-requisite for employment. The Thais can take their frequent and disruptive visa and border runs, and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by Rumpole

• 1 month later...

Well we all know where the noun belongs in that statement then, don't we. :o

However, the basic premise that no work permit, no (proper) visa, no teacher license equals limbo is fundamentally true. The good suffers for the bad, and the bad, even if qualified, renders the standard. Thus we have the true status of why regulations contribute to pinching the markets ability to properly serve its end client - the students.

I taught in China last year for one term and find myself in Thailand in a relationship with another expat. The reality is: the only reason I can work there and am not working here is because I cannot find an avenue to discuss with any able agent whether or not I am allowed to work as a teacher here. Most of the people I have talked to, and all of the regulations I've read, require a degree or diploma in order to even basically qualify to work legally. I chose to work legally so subsequently I cannot find work. Cie la vie...not my problem really.

So, if there is any BS in Thailand regarding work permits, teacher's licences, and visas, then it exists in the copious amounts of information alluding to the possibility of actually getting one if one has neither a diploma nor a degree. If it were possible to get one in one form or another then it should be clearly stated. Other than that it is just a shell game to feed a market of certificate schools and provide a shady workforce for the private in enept school sectors existing in the country.

The same game is being played in China and every other English as a Second Language Market.

With the exeption that China at least has a Ministry of Alien and Immigration which provides service and support to people seeking to work legally in the country. I had a agent whom I maintained contact with via email and, quite frankly, they answered virtually every question I had in a straightforward manner and pressed home the fact that they were there to assist me in as many ways as they could to help me stay and teach in China.

Now that's a difference.

:D

It's true that among countries who apparently want a TEFL presence, Thailand is one of the most frustrating, least welcoming, and least transparent of all the labor markets. This was true even when demand was much lower. We can only hope that the higher demand will eventually force some common-sense reforms (if only to make life easier for the Thai bureaucrats).

However, in terms of legality and stick-to-the-rules-ness, Japan has China beat hands down. Not much fun, is Japan, though. So you've got to take the bad with the good.

It *is* possible to be legal here, but much harder, and you usually have to be screwed over once or twice before you find something good. That's just the startup dues for working properly here. Perhaps if I'd known it was that hard to start with, I wouldn't have come- but now I'm glad I did (at the moment, it varies! :o )

Good luck on your own personal paperwork paradise!

"Steven"