Retaing Wall Price

Beardog

I had a contractor come over & give a bid to build our house. 12,000 baht a meter Fair price in Bang Sare- (Pattaya area)

I also have a small amount of water to hold back when the peak of rainy season hits -if it is like last year.

The wall is only a half a meter high above ground level & will be a stepped double brick arrangement 4.5 baht a brick The cage is beefy #5 or 5/8 inch rebar 4 strands with regular steel strapping(not sure what the centimeter conversion is) the length is 50 meters. the posts go down 1 meter & the cage sits on surface & is tied into the upright posts Since the wall will only be 50 meters long x20-25 centimeters wide x 1/2 a meter high. does 35,000 baht sound high. it was originally 50,000 baht but if I do the work together he said he would discount. It sounds like the same price as a 2 meter wall. Has anyone any experience on what the price should be for this job in this area. The house price is a fair price, but the small wall seems high

Thanks Barry

I'm trying to remember your water problem, it's from that hill and sloping land at the back right? Are you sure that a 'hold back wall' is the answer? Water is funny stuff and it is often better to work with it than try to stop it. Is some sort of drain out of the question? Or are you expecting more than water to come down that hill?

Your wall design sounds a little like swimming pool construction, its a double block with steel work in the cavity then concrete poured in the middle right? If so 700 baht a meter does not sound so much for a construction such as this,

I could only add to make sure the builder uses ready mix of the correct grade rather than his own mix.

Thanks Rimmer .The back has been sloped to drain into the klong and most of the water will now flow to the klong side. I dug down 2 & 1/2 meters & it flows from 3/4's of a meter down to 1/2 a meter sloped ...so the plan is 95% of the water will be forced to go out via the klong if it is another heavy rain year. The water that pools will mostly be stopped by the fill dirt we are adding & the retaining wall is just to replace the minor amount of water that will try to weasel around the other side of the land. We might have all the land sold & I just don't want the new owner to have any unwanted surprises.

We did have another man bid 400 baht a meter, but we have to supply the materials & the wood for the forms & the truck to pick up the goods. I think the cost is in the steel & would be more than this contracted bid. The prIce maybe fair I didn't look into the price of rebar & he suggested maximum build on the steel so it could actually be a fair price.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved 2100 (3 Truckloads of red clay earth) baht for compact fill dirt & a bunch of unused boulders to form a wall. the 2 meters deep 1 meter wide & 2meters long trench(grave) & the excavated Klong 1000 baht will be well over sufficient. dam_n contractors never give options. My land fill & excavator way more helpful! :o

Edited by Beardog