Songkran In Bangkok

dudeyone

"99% of the taxis will not drive on a meter."

we never had a problem from silom / lumphini...

don´t forget some dry extra clothing for the taxi ride, although - we always put ours in two plastic bags and then a backpack.

and the ziplocs are not 100% waterproof - i ruined my mobile last year despite of ziplock. better leave expensive mobiles at home and take your dinosaur model instead ;O)

i can´t wait :o)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

If you really can't get enough, cap it off by heading over the Phra Padaeng (South, on the other side of the river) on the following weekend. I believe their main Songkran celebration is on the 19th this year. It's a much more provincial-feeling area despite being so close to Bangkok and the Songkran shenanigans there are a lot more folksy and fun.

99% of the taxis will not drive on a meter.

Prepare yourself to pay 3-4 times the regular price.

I've spent several Songkrans in Bangkok, never had a problem getting a metered taxi. The only problem is finding one in a crowded area, but once found after walking away from the crowd a bit I always get a meter.

Spent yesterday at Nana, very fun. It's important to keep smiling even in the face of some very bad behavior by some fellow farangs:

Black marks to the two Germans who thought it was SO wunderschon funny shooting passing motorbike drivers (a group that should be deemed 'non-combatants') in the eyes and ears with their high power water rifles. :D I made sure they got it up the nose from me close range, they didn't think it was so great when it happened to them. :D

Then there were the merry English lads who didn't have waterguns so they started throwing ice cubes from their beer buckets- class act. :D

As an American I have taken far more than my share of abuse from self righteous European farangs over the years but you won't see me acting like such a prat in public. :o

There, that's off my chest- have at me, I don't care- Santa knows whose naughty and nice. :D

Happy Songkran to all the conscientious and safe revelers out there from all nations who make this holiday so much fun despite the bad (Easter!) eggs!

Edited by JatujakShopper

99% of the taxis will not drive on a meter.

Prepare yourself to pay 3-4 times the regular price.

Just say "No".

Close their door and walk away, be patient and you will get a good taxi probably sooner than later- never pay above meter, it just encourages the twits who try to pull such a dumb scam. Another tip is to walk a bit down the street from any hotel to find a cab, the scammers tend to hang out at hotels preying on the unwary traveler.

(Sorry for double posts, blame Beer Leo)

Edited by JatujakShopper

I agree with tranquilize, it's a lot of fun. If you don't want to get wet, have a taxi take you to your door. Otherwise, enjoy the cool, sometimes icy, cold water. Upcountry, it's often very nice, with folks asking permission before soaking you. Here, I see that not often enough.

Triple plastic bags over anything important usually works for me.

It may seem a little late for this comment, but I guess Songkran has been extended a couple of days.