Safe To Leave Keys Whilst Car Being Washed

misterman21

It may be safe, but don't tempt fate. I keep my car keys and house keys seperate anyways, but if you have to leave your keys for the car wash, just leave the car keys, it doesn't take that long to take them off the ring.

Thats what I thought, after leaving the car the othere day it occured to me how easy it could be to copy keys and obtain identity of home address from car reg details

Always left the house keys with the car keys as the car is being washed.

Now you mention it, maybe not the best thing to do, and will remove them in the future. Better safe than sorry especially with unemployment rising etc.

When you drop your car off at the car wash do you feel secure leaving your house keys (which in most cases may be on the same key ring) if you leave the car to be picked up later?

Never!

Just today I had my pick-up in for a repair and took off all the other keys from the ring.

Why would one have the house keys on the same ring as the car keys goes beyond my understanding :o

Absolutely--unimaginable. Whether leaving with a car wash or a mechanic--plus, I often need to go back home whilst vehicle is being serviced/repaired--bit tricky with no keys.

P.S. I also empty all personal effects from any vehicle that goes into any service centre--just in case.

it occured to me how easy it could be to copy keys and obtain identity of home address from car reg details

would be wasting there money as in 5 years here I have never locked my gates, doors or closed the windows when I go out...

I mean would would happen if I had an accident or could not return home that day if the doors were locked ?

Now if something happens I can phone a neighbor and they will go in and feed the dogs, and fish.

Washing or service or anything else I always remove all keys except the ignition. This includes removing the Locktech key of that heavy steel thing that locks the pedals.

I'm not overly worried about crime in general, but it's silly to tempt fate, especially with your address possibly on all kinds of stuff in/around the car such as an old Makro receipt, letter, the sticker of your housing development, etc, etc.

Not that it makes sense though because my house door locks are woefully inadequate and we usually leave windows open 24/7.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Why would one have the house keys on the same ring as the car keys goes beyond my understanding :o

give it a rest. you and your stupid red card.

i might also add for toybits benefit -- nobody cares what you do with your car, the question was about keys. I noticed in anoyther thread you talked about your mosquito tennis racket when the OP had specified that he did not want to use that method. you have a relavence problem it seems.

ah, i feel better now. back to work

Edited by t.s

Thanks for the heads up t.s. Yeah right - the car keys while the car is being washed. You are so smart.

In the oyther thread, perhaps the OP preferred to poison herself and hasten the development of insecticide resistance... But yes. You are correct - oh smart one...

i might also add for toybits benefit -- nobody cares what you do with your car, the question was about keys. I noticed in anoyther thread you talked about your mosquito tennis racket when the OP had specified that he did not want to use that method. you have a relavence problem it seems.

I never had to worry about it this connundrum as somehow I failed to receive a set of keys to any of the three houses and two cars I bought my ex-wife.

Hmmm, now that I think of it all her extended family had keys... :o

Thanks for the heads up t.s. Yeah right - the car keys while the car is being washed. You are so smart.

In the oyther thread, perhaps the OP preferred to poison herself and hasten the development of insecticide resistance... But yes. You are correct - oh smart one...

oh sorry bits, i didn't see the part where you mentioned that. it must be because you didn't.

if i were looking for a dandruff shampoo would you feel the need to mention that you were bald?

keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...