Testimony Begins In Kanchanaburi Cop Killer Case

ferd54

Your missing the point.

This wont affect Thailands tourism at all, after the sergant was granted bail, record numbers of brits booked holidays Thailand. The sad fact is that this story is no longer interesting to the media in the UK, and they have gotten bored of it.

None of these trial hearings were mentioned in any of the British press, and only a handful of the smaller papers had a very small story about the sergant being granted bail.

Yep for sure the guy will walk free from the court, and I doubt it if it makes the pages of the british newspapers, no matter how many of you guys send e-mails to the editors

Edited by Mr Helper

The Thais have been getting away with murdering Westerners for all the 15 years I have been here and this scumbag copper will also get away with double murder. There may be a bit of a staged fuss in court like sentencing him to death or life in prison but when the media fuss has died down he will be quietly let out the back door of the prison with a pat on the back and allowed to continue with his life of crime as a Thai copper. He will probably go on to make millions from drug dealing and forcing young Thai and Burmese girls into prostitution as many Thai coppers do. This is what usually happens. He will probably also have a celebration party thrown for him by those Yoobamrung family scum where they will toast each other's success. But the worst part about this (with all due respect to the victims) is that Western toursists will still come here in droves. The number of Westerners coming here has gone up every year for the past 15 years (according to TAT information). The murder of Westerners never had any effect before and will not do so now. So any "threat" of Westerners boycotting Thailand just won't happen, and the Thais Know this. In fact many Thais who I have asked about their honest thoughts on this case say "So what? Just another Farang. Have many in Thailand".

It could well be that a reporting restriction has been enforced by the judge.

It does happen in the West in sensitive cases. The main difference is that, back home, the media are allowed to tell us that one has been imposed. Dosn't seem to have happened here.

Remember that Somchai was originally granted bail and it took days for the media to hear of it. The prosecution didn't even know and were not present/even told about the bail proceedings.

BP , thanks for the update.

How many farang journos are allowed in and who does the translating for them?

Any reports in UK press this week?

The main journo I've spoken to in there is a guy named Andrew Drummond, who is a freelancer based in BKK, covering this for The Sun newspaper. I haven't spoken to him for a few days so proceedings must have been slow for a while.

I presume they're just lining up Thai witnesses so the foreigners who are there get bored with the whole farce! The plan being to drag ths on for as long as possible...

Last time I spoke to him, he's disappointed that the Tsunami has taken away the coverage of this case back home.

A few of the UK press boys are covering this, another guy is Andrew Chant from The Telegraph. Translations have been arranged through the Brit Embassy!

Is this in court on a daily basis now ?

If so - why aren't we reading updates in the English language papers out here... ?

We will very "selective" press coverage in The Nation & BKK Post - they are owned and run by Thais!

In response to a post above, it was exactly from British newspapers that I got the story that I posted that began this thread, so the newspapers have not lost interest. The reason there has been nothing of late is because the next day of testimony is scheduled for Feb. 4.

Interestingly, while the Telegraph, Sun and others carried the story, there was nothing in the BKK Post or Nation...

I know that Andrew Drummond is covering the case for British newspapers, and he speaks very good Thai indeed, so I don't think he needs a translator.

they may be able to justify adams murder as a form of self defence but will they have the audacity to justify the running down with the car and the subsequent shooting of his girlfriend as in any way justifiable ?

The copper will be found guilty of one count and manslaughter on the other. Have a bit of faith in the Thai system :o

I know that Andrew Drummond is covering the case for British newspapers, and he speaks very good Thai indeed, so I don't think he needs a translator.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...!

Perhaps I actually agree now -- I now realize I was thinking of Andrew Forebes (a journalist I have known for more than a decade who has been in Thailand for eons). I don't know Andrew Drummond. Sorry about the mixup. Forbes does speak excellent Thai...

• 2 weeks later...
In response to a post above, it was exactly from British newspapers that I got the story that I posted that began this thread, so the newspapers have not lost interest. The reason there has been nothing of late is because the next day of testimony is scheduled for Feb. 4.

Interestingly, while the Telegraph, Sun and others carried the story, there was nothing in the BKK Post or Nation...

Andrew Drummond is the correspondent for the Times in Thailand, but also syndicates very heavily. His colleague Andrew Chant does the same with the Telegraph and other newspapers.

Drummond has been very active on the Kanchanaburi murder case and has attended every hearing.

He was also very active on the Kirsty Jones murder case.

The Thai newspapers have not carried reports from the trial or even about the outrage over the policeman getting bail because quite frankly they have been warned off.

Drummond does appear to speak Thai of sorts because I have seen him give television interviews here in Thai.

Andrew Forbes I believe is a founding member of the Crescent Press Agency based in Chiang Mai, which supplies copy to Islamic publications and Middle East airline mags

Backpacker.com lives in Kanchanaburi much of the time and knows the bars there. Interestingly the parents of Vanessa Arscott were recently in Kanchanaburi where British bar owners were asked if Vanessa Arscott were a polite well behaved couple.

The answer was a resounding yes. ' But will you then give character evidence for them in court?'......the answer was a resounding no!

Because probably anyone who can report on it is not allowed in.  Those reporters who are in are probably there on a conditional basis.

There is no ban on the press at the Kanchanaburi court but on the first day the judge ordered journalists to stop taking notes. This order was revoked later.

Ok can you can take a few notes, he said

Your missing the point.

This wont affect Thailands tourism at all, after the sergant was granted bail, record numbers of brits booked holidays Thailand. The sad fact is that this story is no longer interesting to the media in the UK, and they have gotten bored of it. 

None of these trial hearings were mentioned in any of the British press, and only a handful of the smaller papers had a very small story about the sergant being granted bail.

Yep for sure the guy will walk free from the court, and I doubt it if it makes the pages of the british newspapers, no matter how many of you guys send e-mails to the editors

Take my word for it. This will make ALL the British newspapers if the policeman gets off

Because probably anyone who can report on it is not allowed in.  Those reporters who are in are probably there on a conditional basis.

There is no ban on the press at the Kanchanaburi court but on the first day the judge ordered journalists to stop taking notes. This order was revoked later.

Ok can you can take a few notes, he said

I would have thought that the reporters would have recorders???

Perhaps I actually agree now -- I now realize I was thinking of Andrew Forebes (a journalist I have known for more than a decade who has been in Thailand for eons). I don't know Andrew Drummond. Sorry about the mixup. Forbes does speak excellent Thai...

So what are you agreeing to?

I think every Brit who reads this thread should / must email the British consulate and point out most strongly that only a rule of law decision is acceptable. No bullshit, no cover up's, no 3rd rate comedy excuses.

He is on trial. Therefore the rule of law is being applied. The verdict will be forthcoming and will be implemented.

Maybe justice will not be done, but the rule of law will be seen to have been carried out.

Has the case been adjourned?

Have heard nothing about it for a few days!

BP, what's happening, you live there.....

Greets All,

There's a bizarre situation going on here. No foreigners are being allowed in to the courtroom for the testimonies of Thai witnesses...! Only a VERY select few!

We know that something's up because even a healthy backhander couldn't help presuade those those that are "guarding" the doors. When trying to speak with policemen, immigration officials, local government people about this, they can't change the subject quickly enough!

As you've all read, so far it's a case of all Thai witnesses stating that "I didn't really see anything", all except the barman who didn't see ANYTHING!

Me and a friend are going down there again on Monday with a Thai guy, a respected local figure so hopefully we'll have a bit more joy. A friend of mine is due here this weekend and he's a freelance journo currently covering this for The Sun newspaper, he certainly doesn't care what needs to be done to get the story!

And you're telling us that a Sun journalist (not even a regular, but a freelance) will write an objective story? He will already have had his instructions to 'liven it up'.

The prosecutor seems to be not that bothered if he wins this case. He didn't even cross examine a couple of these witnesses! Further up you have said that all the Thai witnesses were singing from the same songbook 'I don't know nuffink, guv'. So why should the prosecutor waste the court's time by cross-examining all such witnesses? Most of us presume he knows the defendent as they're both local men and he's frightened for his life! Rather presumtuous of you. Do you mean 'assume'?

The feeling locally however is that the absolute worse case scenario will be that he gets done for manslaughter on account of self-defence...!

The Brit ambassador is here next week as well, so maybe things will take a more "professional" turn.... Why the Ambassador? I would have thought that a Consul would be more active. The Ambassador is the official representative of Her Majesty's Government to the Thai nation - this matter is outside his remit and would create an unfavourable impression of external interference in the Thai justice system.

This geezer HAS to fry! If not, it's open house for Thais to start shooting foreigners knowing that they'll get away with it. Now that's what your 'Sun' journalist has to write!

Thai justice at it's best! How do you know what the verdict and sentence will be? Another Sun statement.

Has the case been adjourned?

Have heard nothing about it for a few days!

BP, what's happening, you live there.....

Greets All,

There's a bizarre situation going on here. No foreigners are being allowed in to the courtroom for the testimonies of Thai witnesses...! Only a VERY select few!

We know that something's up because even a healthy backhander couldn't help presuade those those that are "guarding" the doors. When trying to speak with policemen, immigration officials, local government people about this, they can't change the subject quickly enough!

As you've all read, so far it's a case of all Thai witnesses stating that "I didn't really see anything", all except the barman who didn't see ANYTHING!

Me and a friend are going down there again on Monday with a Thai guy, a respected local figure so hopefully we'll have a bit more joy. A friend of mine is due here this weekend and he's a freelance journo currently covering this for The Sun newspaper, he certainly doesn't care what needs to be done to get the story!

And you're telling us that a Sun journalist (not even a regular, but a freelance) will write an objective story? He will already have had his instructions to 'liven it up'.

The prosecutor seems to be not that bothered if he wins this case. He didn't even cross examine a couple of these witnesses! Further up you have said that all the Thai witnesses were singing from the same songbook 'I don't know nuffink, guv'. So why should the prosecutor waste the court's time by cross-examining all such witnesses? Most of us presume he knows the defendent as they're both local men and he's frightened for his life! Rather presumtuous of you. Do you mean 'assume'?

The feeling locally however is that the absolute worse case scenario will be that he gets done for manslaughter on account of self-defence...!

The Brit ambassador is here next week as well, so maybe things will take a more "professional" turn.... Why the Ambassador? I would have thought that a Consul would be more active. The Ambassador is the official representative of Her Majesty's Government to the Thai nation - this matter is outside his remit and would create an unfavourable impression of external interference in the Thai justice system.

This geezer HAS to fry! If not, it's open house for Thais to start shooting foreigners knowing that they'll get away with it. Now that's what your 'Sun' journalist has to write!

Thai justice at it's best! How do you know what the verdict and sentence will be? Another Sun statement.

Obviously you have no idea on how the Thai justice system works in regards to crimes against foreigners! When one local was asked ofr his opinion on Thai TV,his reaction was "It's just Falang, there's plenty more!"

If you want to come here and talk to a few people, I'd be happy to take you around! Then you'll see it first hand! I am a fluent Thai speaker and therefore I am not allowed into the courtroom as I will be able to understand the lack of interest that the judge/prosecutor are showing. Reporters here are being told thatthis is the "Thai way" and are believing it.

With references and your digs at The Sun and Mr.Drummond, as I said before he is a freelancer and is also covering this for Sky News online.

BP said

I am a fluent Thai speaker and therefore I am not allowed into the courtroom as I will be able to understand the lack of interest that the judge/prosecutor are showing. Reporters here are being told thatthis is the "Thai way" and are believing it

I find that scarey, have you told that fact to the reporters from the Farang press?? :o

BP said
I am a fluent Thai speaker and therefore I am not allowed into the courtroom as I will be able to understand the lack of interest that the judge/prosecutor are showing. Reporters here are being told thatthis is the "Thai way" and are believing it

I find that scarey, have you told that fact to the reporters from the Farang press?? :o

Due to the "expertise" of foreign journos here, they believe the authorities and not the local expats who have lived here for years!

I suppose living in paid for luxury accommodation, expense accounts and brown-nosing the Embassy staff gives a real insight to the "Thai way"

This whole court set up is a joke! As anyone who knows how things are here, TV members all know the score, we all know the predicted outcome of this trial!

The main journo I've spoken to in there is a guy named Andrew Drummond, who is a freelancer based in BKK, covering this for The Sun newspaper. I haven't spoken to him for a few days so proceedings must have been slow for a while.

I presume they're just lining up Thai witnesses so the foreigners who are there get bored with the whole farce! The plan being to drag ths on for as long as possible...

Last time I spoke to him, he's disappointed that the Tsunami has taken away the coverage of this case back home.

A few of the UK press boys are covering this, another guy is Andrew Chant from The Telegraph. Translations have been arranged through the Brit Embassy!

If so - why aren't we reading updates in the English language papers out here... ?

We will very "selective" press coverage in The Nation & BKK Post - they are owned and run by Thais!

The Embassy is assisting with translations? Ha ha ha

No British Embassy official has been at the court since the first day of the trial.

You should search Vanessa Arscott on 'google' to see complaints about British Foreign Office