Beware Of Lifts.

Moonrakers

Well there was quite a scene at P.S. tower on Asoke today.

An engineer who was repairing a lift at PS Tower met with a gruesome end when the doors closed on his legs, and the lift itself carried on moving up 6 floors.

I was told that they guy was more or less cut in half, there may be some exaggerations to the story but I did personally see the rescuers trying to open the doors to the lift with one very limp leg on view hanging from between the doors, it took about 2 hours or more for the doors to be released.

The press where out in full force and so it will certainly be in tomorrow's Thai press and possibly on TV later.

I work on PS tower myself and have never felt confident with the lifts here, and from now on I shall certainly be taking the stairs as I only work on the 3rd floor. How the bloody hel_l some safety mechanism didn't kick in I don't know, gruesome stuff.

Surely as part of the permit to work procdure the lift should have been isolated?

Oh, sorry I forgot Thailand doesn't recognise HSE.

<edit : forgot to add RIP to the unfortunate man and condolences to his family>

Edited by PhilHarries

Usually the stories do involved a repairman, rather than a random passenger.

And normally involved part of ones body being inside the elevator, and part outside. So as long as you do not attempt to squeeze in/out of a partially opened elevator the risk seems minimal.

That is indeed a translation... but into what language?

Elevator mechanic miss a single show. Pin is miserable failure.

The manager Wednesday 11 March 2552 at 14:50:53 pm

Travelers repairman elevator maintenance to lift the power supply building a high-Town Floor 35, but prior to their colleagues. เลย action to check the log elevator waiting to Sling. But missing was tragically defunct elevator pin today (March 11) at 10:30 pm R.t.t. Nikr glass inquiry official Ekawg (junction 1) Sn. Thonglor been notified of a pin elevator mechanic died inside the building. P. S. Tower Road No. 36/47-56 mandarin Asoke Road North Klongtoey Wattana Bangkok area are reported to the supervisor know. Then hurry to the ear of the accident with property P.t.a. bow tug Tin ผกก.สน. Thonglor. Investigation officer. Medical forensic laboratory of the Hospital Chula. Foundation and co grateful. The accident is sublet office buildings with floor area 35 High Lift the Class 1 M to catch up on the floor.

Condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the victim.

Now, I suppose everyone will get about a 1/2 day holiday while they bring in the monks to chase the ghost(s) away.

There was another case like this only about 5 weeks ago where a lift killed a repairman who was working in the shaft below the lift itself. He use to live near me. Obviously safety guidelines are not being followed, that shouldnt surprise us.

RIP.

Edited by neverdie

Concur, I got one at the our Shopping Center(Plaza) press 3rd floor button, that thing took me all the way to the top floor(8) before it stop, need I say I have never been on that one again, I made a complaint to Management,what happen(?) nothing that I know of. I told an owner of a nearby gold shop what had happen and he walk with me to the lift press 3, step out quickly and sure enough that bad boy went all the way to the 8 floor. :D:o Scary to me.

When I or my workmates were sent to repair a lift, we had to place a sign at evey lift gate/door. We were not allowed to work alone on the lift. They can be really hard to work on, and some faults just can not be found with the power off.

Edited by Mosha

Ever heard of a 'Shunt button' ? Power to the whole system is isolated to the control button , the technician and only him , can have power to the system when he NEEDS it , far too few people take heed of warning signs no matter how large , they will even lift a chain and get under it . Leaving any equipment fully operational whilst it is being worked on is leaving the repairman open to all kinds of danger , as this thread has suggested .

Condolences to the family .

Edited by dumball

Condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the victim.

Now, I suppose everyone will get about a 1/2 day holiday while they bring in the monks to chase the ghost(s) away.

I see there's a machine advertised on TV which could do chasing of ghosts.

There was another case like this only about 5 weeks ago where a lift killed a repairman who was working in the shaft below the lift itself. He use to live near me. Obviously safety guidelines are not being followed, that shouldnt surprise us.

RIP.

That sounds realistic.

It's hard to imagine the story from the original post -- I've never seen elevator doors sharp enough or powerful enough to sheer a person. Nor have I ever seen an elevator go up or down with the doors open. And even most elevator doors here in Thailand have sensors that prevent the door from fully closing on a person.

RIP.

That sounds realistic.

It's hard to imagine the story from the original post -- I've never seen elevator doors sharp enough or powerful enough to sheer a person. Nor have I ever seen an elevator go up or down with the doors open. And even most elevator doors here in Thailand have sensors that prevent the door from fully closing on a person.

I didn't understand properly what had happened at first.

I have since learned that the guy was servicing the lift from it's roof, looking over the top of the lift 'cubicle?' itself. If you look at the picture in the link you will see that his legs are hanging from the top of the doors and not between them.

This tragic news reminds me of the similar story happened (in NY) a few years ago.

This unfortunated victim was about to stepping in the elevator in a high rise condo, he caught the crimp of his neighbor, a lady who was running a few steps toward the lift, being a gentleman, he tried to hold the opened-door by standing right on edge between the lift and the floor, put his both hands against the lift doors. Somehow the doors shut and the lift kept moving down.

Can you imagine how horrow for some people who were riding in that car, the doors decapitated his head and it rolled into that car and came to rest by their feet. His headless body was still on the above floor.

Up until now still can picture how it happened.

R-I-P !

RIP.

That sounds realistic.

I didn't understand properly what had happened at first.

I have since learned that the guy was servicing the lift from it's roof, looking over the top of the lift 'cubicle?' itself. If you look at the picture in the link you will see that his legs are hanging from the top of the doors and not between them.

Ah, that, unfortunately, sounds plausible too. This was one of those times where I'd hoped I was reading false information online.

I have been living in 3 different places over the years in Bangkok.

Every time the certificate in the elevators have expired, I have to mention it to the Building Management.

Same thing every time.

They are surprised and confused why I bother to bring this trivial issue up.

Then I tell them, if any accidents, and expired certificate, there is no insurance (if they have one), and no money back.

In addition, the people inside, if an accident occurs, can bring the Comany that owns the building to court.

You can basically hear the cashier registry sounding from the heads, and voila, the next day a service technician is on site doing full service.

Of course, what the certificate is worth, might be another story.

You can basically hear the cashier registry sounding from the heads, and voila, the next day a service technician is on site doing full service.

And that is how you get things done here. As a customer/client you have to make them understand that it is in their best interest to take care of you.

And that is how you get things done here. As a customer/client you have to make them understand that it is in their best interest to take care of you.

Correct.

Allways make sure you let them know it is good business for them.

Anyhow,

it was a terrible way to go.

Ever heard of a 'Shunt button' ? Power to the whole system is isolated to the control button , the technician and only him , can have power to the system when he NEEDS it , far too few people take heed of warning signs no matter how large , they will even lift a chain and get under it . Leaving any equipment fully operational whilst it is being worked on is leaving the repairman open to all kinds of danger , as this thread has suggested .

Condolences to the family .

Well we just called it the change over switch. Ours were on top of the lift cage, and we had a cheater key for the gates. Send the labourer in the cage, and tell him to go down. Yell stop as the top of the cage is level with you. Pull the cheater and switch over. On our sytems it also bypassed the gate locks. Hated changing the gate locks. I worked on a chemical site, and a lot of the equipment was flame and or explosion proof. They weighed a ton, and quite often with poor access, all your workmate could do was watch you struggle