Need Lawyer In Nong Khai Area For Land Dispute Problem

Orac

Hi All,

My wife bought some land a few months ago under chanote from a lady in her village.

She has had a couple of agressive phone calls from the ladies ex-husband over the last three days claiming the land is his even though my wife now has a chanote in her name.

Can anyone recommend a good english speaking lawyer in Nong Khai province who would be able to help us - I have done a search on this and there are references to a good thai female lawyer but no contact details.

Unfortunately my thai is very limited so I am struggling to get involved (must try harder!).

Please PM me with any details.

Many Thanks

Orac

By all means use a lawyer if you want, but first have a look at the back of the chanote, and see whose name the land was in before your wife bought it. (Your wife or someone who can read Thai can easily do this for you) If the chanote had only the name of the lady from whom you bought then likely no problem. If husbands name also on the chanote, then he would have needed to sign the sale contract and then you do need a lawyer. But then you can blame the land office for not doing their job properly!

By all means use a lawyer if you want, but first have a look at the back of the chanote, and see whose name the land was in before your wife bought it. (Your wife or someone who can read Thai can easily do this for you) If the chanote had only the name of the lady from whom you bought then likely no problem. If husbands name also on the chanote, then he would have needed to sign the sale contract and then you do need a lawyer. But then you can blame the land office for not doing their job properly!

Thanks Nick,

I will check again with my wife when she is back later but she did tell me last night that only the lady was shown.

Ballbreaker,

Thanks for the link.

I did check out Isaan Lawyers website but they are in Korat which is a fair way from here. Ideally I was after someone local as I have several other things I need to sort out that are not so urgent and will be living up here for a while.

Cheers

Orac

Thanks Nick,

I will check again with my wife when she is back later but she did tell me last night that only the lady was shown.

Ballbreaker,

Thanks for the link.

I did check out Isaan Lawyers website but they are in Korat which is a fair way from here. Ideally I was after someone local as I have several other things I need to sort out that are not so urgent and will be living up here for a while.

Cheers

Orac

Try this guy, and no, he's not my brother in law, and yes, I do not know the guy, just off the www.

Mac

http://www.thailandlawyers.com/product.det...n&id=611837

NONGKHAI

Code: 000115

ทนาย กนก กลายสุข

Description: Name: Kanok Kaysuk

Hot Line: +6689 226-8899 (Englsih)

Mobile: 08-

Telephone: 042 413 594

Fax: 042 413 595

Relate Link: http://www.thailandlawyers.com

09/05/2006 (update 14/05/1465)

• 2 weeks later...
Why see a lawyer when you have the chanote and it was passed at the land office?? Anybody can say this or that is his, let him prove it and go to a lawyer.
This is correct in my opinion. If the selling lady's name wasn't on the Chanote then the land office would never have transfered names. Save money, let the ex husband seek the lawyer. Sit back and wait until his next move. I doubt they'll be one.

Why see a lawyer when you have the chanote and it was passed at the land office?? Anybody can say this or that is his, let him prove it and go to a lawyer.
This is correct in my opinion. If the selling lady's name wasn't on the Chanote then the land office would never have transfered names. Save money, let the ex husband seek the lawyer. Sit back and wait until his next move. I doubt they'll be one.

Coventry,

You are right - he seems to have gone away now. My main worry was that my wife was getting quite stressed out by this and at the time was heavily pregnant so it was more the reassurance for her that I was looking for and also the principal that she shouldn't just go buying land without the proper advice if she wasn't totally sure what she was doing! When she has recovered from having the baby we will go check Mrs Pokapan out as I need to get wills sorted out now.

Cheers

Orac

If your wife's name is now on the chanote, it's a done deal. Any issue over who owes what is between the person who previously had their name on the chanote and whoever is complaining about it. Any mortgages are recorded on the back of the document and must be cleared off before the property is transferred.