Australian Visa

Read in a previous post it is only 2 years from date of visa application that

PR is granted.Does that mean if spouse visa is lodged in Bangkok and takes

10 months or more to be approved this time is taken into account after arriving in

OZ,or is it 2 years after arriving in OZ after approval.

NB :o

Read in a previous post it is only 2 years from date of visa application that

PR is granted.Does that mean if spouse visa is lodged in Bangkok and takes

10 months or more to be approved this time is taken into account after arriving in

OZ,or is it 2 years after arriving in OZ after approval.

NB :unsure:

I think it is relevant which country you come from, I applied for permanent residency in jan.96 while still living in UK, Recieved the PR stamp in my passport 14/2/96 on the 14/3/96 arrived in australia, on the 14/4/1998, became australian citizen complete with passport ,didgeridoo and humour bypass, it all happened quickly and without complications , it helps being a scouse !!! nignoy

The rules have changed over the years Nignoy, and it makes no difference what country you come from, they apply equally to all.

As I said in most cases 2 years from date of application is the norm when applying from outside of Oz, the exceptions being if you have been in a spouse relationship for more than 5 years, have dependant children for more than 2 years or be granted a protection visa and you were in a relationship prior to this.

I put a link in the previous post to avoid confusion.

Have 3 friends who just did/and are going through this at the moment. I am 95% sure this is how it goes:

get spouse visa (=temporary residency)

spend 2 years in Australia (any periods spent outside Oz during this period gets added to the 2 years).

fill in a lot more forms/stat. decs and pay more money and your spouse will get permamnent residency visa (provided you can prove that you are still a couple)

after 3 more years (again, add any periods spent outside Oz during this period to the 3 years) you can get citizenship.

maybe somone else can confirm?

am going through the final stage of permanent residency for my misses at the moment..

the spouse visa is for 2 years from the time of application..

now for the fun i'm going through...

my misses qualified for permanent residency in september..about 6 weeks before the due date..we recieved a letter..firstly we had to send away for an australian federal police clearance..this took about 2 weeks to return..now this was done 4 months ago..so will try to remember as best as possible..we had to get to charachter statements written about us,,that our relationship was genuine..signed by a jp..had to show photos of us together in australia and other stuff like invites..joint bank accounts..bills in both names and a few other things..we posted these away ..another thing my wife was pregnant at the time..so we had to go to the doctors to get a doctors certificate saying she was 8 months pregnant...after we did all this we called the case officer and he said that it can take up to 90 days after the due date..for the visa to be given..its been more than 4 months now and we are still waiting..but am not worried about it as we all know things take time with aussie immigration

My Wife's app;ication for PR went in in Octoberand did all the things that rabbitoh also did (except the pregnancy).

Havn't heard a thing yet, put this down to xmas break, a friend of mine suggested contacting DIMA direct for a check on progress.

I rang yesterday, got a machine message saying summat along the lines of "enquiries about progress of PR applications will not be answered unless they go past the usuall processing time, and blah blah blah, so we just wait now.

One of those friends of mine referred to in an earlier post put his paperwork for the same process as rabbitoh and bronco refer to in in early November and got the permanent residency for his wife before Christmas. No dramas whatsoever.

The other friend has only just lodged his papers.

Can someone who has been there pls clarify for me whether it is in fact required that a Thai spouse has to first spend a continuous 12 month period in OZ before PR will be considered/offered . I have re read the Partner migration booklet (thks Bronco) but it makes no mention of this. Application was made outside OZ some 2 years ago but only a few weeks spent there since.

Difficult to talk to case officer as currently working in China. Emails dont seem to be generating any interest. Thanks.

There is a requirement for her to spend 12 months in Oz.

Read this link kiwijack.

Thanks Bronco for your interest in helping me on this.

Unfortunately this link doesnt seem to address my situation either, ( or am I missing something??)... which is as follows:

I am Australian, despite the moniker, have been officially married to a Thai for 2 years & together for a total of 5 years. We live in BKK together but I often work in China for stints of 6 months max but satisfy the genuine/permanent relationship criteria.

We applied in BKK for partner migration status 2 years ago & got the temporary visa. Since getting this visa we have only been in OZ for a total of 8 weeks over 2 trips over the 2 years.

My query is .... MUST my wife ( & presumably me too) live in Australia for a continuous period of 12 months BEFORE PR will be considered???

Your links make no mention of this being a requirement tho Dr. P P in another posting in another thread suggests it is .. ( I havent been able to get him to confirm it )

Hence my concern/confusion as value the comments from both of you.

Look forward to your response, & thanks!

to the best of my knowledge it doesnt have to be continuous, but if you bear with me I will look at some of the correspondance we have recieved regarding PR for wife. I am at roxby downs at the moment and will be back in adelaide friday so if nothing eventuates by then will have an answer for you.

to the best of my knowledge it doesnt have to be continuous, but if you bear with me I will look at some of the correspondance we have recieved regarding PR for wife. I am at roxby downs at the moment and will be back in adelaide friday so if nothing eventuates by then will have an answer for you.

Thanks bronco, & CONGRATULATIONS.

BUT ... I cant find any reference to ANY requirement for ANY time to be spent in OZ in order to get the PR, let alone be continuous.

Hey Doctor Pat Pong... Can u elaborate on your pevious advice that 12 months continuous residency in OZ after the temporary visa is granted IS required before PR will be considered, as this the source of my confusion.

If it is all too hard dont worry gentleman , I will check personally with the OZ embassy in BKK when I return in April.

Congrats again bronco & thanks for the efforts.

Hey Doctor Pat Pong... Can u elaborate on your pevious advice that 12 months continuous residency in OZ after the temporary visa is granted IS required before PR will be considered, as this the source of my confusion.

The info you requested is on the web site previously given to you. However, the timing for granting full PR after receipt of the temporary PR visa does vary, but you could expect a minimum of 12 months. If your partner temporarily departs Oz during this period she has to advise immigration in writing.

We went to Thailand last june/july and didn't advise DIMA in writing, we asked at the office and was told the only requirement was if returning to home country another Police check is required, which we did.

My Wife did have 12 months continuous residency inside the 2 year temporary visa situation, so that wasn't an issue, but as I said I will check on correspondence from DIMA on Friday and post then.

We visited the DIMA office today and my wife got her pemanent visa put into the passport, next step citizenship.

I asked two officials there what the requirements for residency were on a 309 visa.

They said each case is assessed individually and there is no real time period, rather they are looking for a genuine desire to settle in Oz.

It would be interesting to get your feedback from the embassy kiwijack, just to see if there is any consistency.