Robbed, What To Do?

Tonycheston

This morning I woke up to find that someone had been into my condo, whilst I and my friend were sleeping and stole things from my desk. Things that went are my iPhone 3G, my Chanel white ceramic watch, my friends wallet with ID card and ca 9,000 THB and his watch. Strange but 2 laptop computers were left also my Sony camera. This makes me think that it wasn't a professional. The condo (in Samrong Nua) dismissed the security guy last month due to lack of money.

3 very strange things happened yesterday,

first - my iPhone, which had been locked for the last 3 weeks was unlocked yesterday afternoon at MBK.

second - my friends wallet has usually only small money inside, yesterday however he withdrew 10,000 THB to pay his schooling fees for this month.

third - we always lock the door when we come home, yesterday we ordered food from the restaurant on the ground floor and after it was delivered forgot to lock the door.

Bad coincidences.

Really I am not sure why I am writing this, just now I am in a state of shock. The thought that someone was in the room whilst we were sleeping is scary. Maybe I just want to warn all other members of the reality of these things. Be careful always!

Tony

Sorry to hear about your loss Tony. When it happened to me - it was more a case of "My personal space has been violated." Then it was "Will they return?" As much as I don't like coincidences, I think yours are just that - and not related to your breakin and theft.

The first thing you should do is to report the break-in to your local Police station and get an offence report. I hope you have insurance as I doubt you will ever see your iPhone and watch again.

Maybe it's time to get the condo's tenants together and see if anybody else has been broken into. If so - a reliable security guard / patrol could be a good investment.

Peter

This morning I woke up to find that someone had been into my condo, whilst I and my friend were sleeping and stole things from my desk. Things that went are my iPhone 3G, my Chanel white ceramic watch, my friends wallet with ID card and ca 9,000 THB and his watch. Strange but 2 laptop computers were left also my Sony camera. This makes me think that it wasn't a professional. The condo (in Samrong Nua) dismissed the security guy last month due to lack of money.

first - my iPhone, which had been locked for the last 3 weeks was unlocked yesterday afternoon at MBK.

second - my friends wallet has usually only small money inside, yesterday however he withdrew 10,000 THB to pay his schooling fees for this month.

third - we always lock the door when we come home, yesterday we ordered food from the restaurant on the ground floor and after it was delivered forgot to lock the door.

Bad coincidences.

Really I am not sure why I am writing this, just now I am in a state of shock. The thought that someone was in the room whilst we were sleeping is scary. Maybe I just want to warn all other members of the reality of these things. Be careful always!

Tony

doesn't your condo have cctv security monitoring ?

Thanks Peter,

I have not spoken to the police yet and am not sure what good it will do. Apart from them not speaking much English in this area, there was no forced break in. Therefore no real evidence that it happened.

I was pick-pocketed in Chinatown during Chinese New Year, I spent over 2 hours at the police station there only to be told, "No speak English", "Go tourist police"

I do not have insurance and will have to put it all down to "live and learn"

I wish these guys would take the money and valuables but at least leave the papers (e.g.. ID cards, credit cards, driving licenses etc.) so that they could be returned. I lost 3 credit cards and cannot get them replaced here. I have been waiting now 6 weeks for a replacement driving license. It is just good that my friends credit card was in my wallet last night, and that was still in my pocket. It is the only possibility left for us to get hold of money now.

Yes, the thought of "will they/he/she return" has also been on my mind. You can be sure the door will be double locked and chained as from now.

TexasRanger - No I do not suspect my friend. We have been very close, like brothers now for over 4 years.

Aussiejosh - Yes, this happened whilst we were sleeping. The thief had to walk past us in bed to get to the desk. It is a 1 room apartment with the bed next to the door.

klakaha - There is no cctv here. We had a security guy who made a note of everyone entering or leaving the building with info about their vehicles but he was dismissed a month ago.

I am not sure about Thailand, but the following scenario is common in some countries:

1) Break / enter / steal goods

2) Wait 4 to 6 weeks

3) Repeat the break / enter / steal - as this time the owner will have replaced the (generally second-hand, older) goods with new goods either at their own expense or from an insurance payout.

I was just reading in the Pattaya forum, an Australian/Thai couple had been robbed 4 times in under 3 months! My final thoughts:

1) Improve security (or move, if possible)

2) Check it wasn't an inside job.

Peter

TexasRanger - No I do not suspect my friend. We have been very close, like brothers now for over 4 years.

Aussiejosh - Yes, this happened whilst we were sleeping. The thief had to walk past us in bed to get to the desk. It is a 1 room apartment with the bed next to the door.

klakaha - There is no cctv here. We had a security guy who made a note of everyone entering or leaving the building with info about their vehicles but he was dismissed a month ago.

Rule #1, do not strike anybody off the list. People can change, people's circumstances can change. What someone would never do today they may, given certain circumstances, resort to tomorrow.

This happened while you were sleeping and the thief had to walk right past your bed? The thief was either very confident or had nerves of steel or both but either way he/she knew exactly where to look for the items. Who first noticed the theft? Small items/cash only were taken, easily concealed.

Sorry if this souns paranoid but the prime suspect in a case like this is the person with a reason to be there.

gooner - I did not give anyone my address. I withdrew the money from an ATM machine a few kms away and the money was put into my wallet not his, I gave him the money at home. My friend took the delivery at the door, I don't know if it was the same person as usual. There is only one small restaurant on the ground floor and everybody here in the condo knows the very friendly owner and his wife very well. He has been here for many years.

Phil - I have a large amount of cash in Euros, British pounds and other currencies in a small draw in the desk. my friend knows about this. This wasn't touched. No drawers were opened. It was my friend who at first, this morning couldn't find his wallet or watch. I thought he must have misplaced them. Only after he had left for school, while I was searching for them, I noticed my iPhone and watch were missing too. I know exactly where my watch was.

Bad coincidences.

Tony

If you haven't reported it do it now.

Give the IME#s or the booklet on the new phone If you still have it And your sim card # & info. Sattahib was able to catch 3 of 5 thieves from the idiot that stole my mobile . It has GPS so they can get a 50 meter or less range on the phone if it is still on. The dweebs used my sim card & ais provided the #s to the PD & they were able to go to the exact house & 1 more of the perpetrators that he called.

My condolences on your losses. Mine was by gunpoint(which turned out to be a fake gun & 5 people in on the caper. Only 2 more to go & all 5 are hosed.The good part is they get to stay in jail without trial till all are caught. And sentencing begins after court date, no consideration to time served already. Amazing the desperation these days!

I used to live in a condo building outside of Bangkok. The only foreigners living in the rooms there were mostly all teachers from my school. There was some guy targeting the foreign rooms, don't know how he knew all foreigner rooms as they were indoor entrances, so he must have inside information. Anyway, he stole from people at night. One girl was careless and had her door locked but not latched and got robbed while she was sleeping. A few others he picked the locks and tried to open the door but it was latched, and it scared one guy who woke up early every day and was awake at 4:30 a.m. when the guy tried to get in. He said he was so scared he ran into the bathroom and then he thought he was being stupid and came out and the guy had not got in but left. Funny thing is, mr. robber tried coming back in an hour later. So yeah, that kind of <deleted> is scary.

Hi Beardog!

I have just come back from the police station, we were there 2 hours, bad English communication but a police officer came back with us and took many photos. Don't think it will do much good.

You seem to have been in a very dangerous situation, so happy that things went well and some of the b......s have been caught.

My iPhone has GPS and I am pretty sure I turned it on after it was unlocked yesterday. The sim card has been removed I guess, I called many times today only to hear the number is not available at present. I do have the original box, the phone is only a few months old. I gave the police the serial number.

I'm pretty ignorant as to how GPS works, maybe you could give me more information.

Thanks

Tony

Why mentioning that your friend suddenly had more cash than usual then?

Mentioning this creates speculations, and you should know that.

Travel2003 - I said it was unfortunate that yesterday he had so much money in his wallet to pay his school fees. Nobody else knew this. Pure coincidence. Bad luck, that's all

Ahh, yes I got it.

I didnt read it correctly.

I apologize pal.

so you are sleeping with a guy who had the money to pay his school fees, do you mean he had to pay for his university, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick about the sleeping arrangements in your one bed apartment?

Are you now expected to cough up money for the school fees? it seems to me that your 'friend' has done you over. obviously the laptops could not be taken as that would have meant taking his also so as to not arouse suspicion, as for the money in the drawers well maybe he knows you will help him with money so at least leave some, or maybe you turned over in bed before they got to the drawers forcing them to leave.

It all seems very convenient that your door was left unlocked

so you are sleeping with a guy who had the money to pay his school fees, do you mean he had to pay for his university, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick about the sleeping arrangements in your one bed apartment?

Are you now expected to cough up money for the school fees? it seems to me that your 'friend' has done you over. obviously the laptops could not be taken as that would have meant taking his also so as to not arouse suspicion, as for the money in the drawers well maybe he knows you will help him with money so at least leave some, or maybe you turned over in bed before they got to the drawers forcing them to leave.

Another poster for the "ignored user" bin...

Another poster for the "ignored user" bin...

Drama queen, having to announce who he is going to ignore :D

here is an idea, why not just ignore me without the announcement, or an even better idea counter my comments with a well thought out argument, either way mate I won't lose any sleep tonight :o