New Retirement Visa Rules From Nongkai

I just got off the phone with Nongkai Immigration, I was told that new Retirement visa regulations are that applicants for extensions must submit applications three (3) months before expiration of current visa; and of course you need to show money in the bank for 3 months prior to applying !!

I also asked what other documents were needed and he said, "nothing" and hung up, click....

Is this just Nongkai or other Immigration offices as well? I've read nothing about this so it must be Nongkai only..

No, only Nongkhai at least as far as has been announced.

I suspect the officer even there meant to convey that you are ALLOWED to make the application as early as three months before, NOT that you are required to do it that early. It beggars belief what you say is the real new rule, even in Nongkhai. If you do make an early application, the money seasoning rule does apply to the date of APPLICATION, not the date of extension expiry.

The three month money seasoning is the national rule for subsequent extension applications if using the 800K in the bank, two months for the first time.

Edited by Jingthing

Yea, I think you got this wrong. I've only just returned from a 90 day report and was reminded by immmigration that my annual extension is due in 4 months time and that I should make application about a week or so prior. At the same time they reminded me about the 3 month 800k deposit rule.

Maybe this was what your guy was referring to

Yea, I think you got this wrong. I've only just returned from a 90 day report and was reminded by immmigration that my annual extension is due in 4 months time and that I should make application about a week or so prior. At the same time they reminded me about the 3 month 800k deposit rule.

ok. just got off the phone again with Khun Orachun and both me and the wife spoke to him. I told him my funds have only been in the bank a month or so but my visa doesn't expire for another two months....."Mai Di"....3 months".

The new regulations went into effect in December of last year. I was told I had to come "Now" and maybe he can help !! Otherwise, he added, I will have to go to Vientiene and start all over........you can call 042 420242 and ask for yourself.

T.I.N. 'this is Nongkai'....

Edited by Tomissan

If all he meant was that the rule is that you must season your money for 3 months before the subsequent application date for retirement extension using the 800K in the bank, that is indeed the currently enforced rule across Thailand.

If all he meant was that the rule is that you must season your money for 3 months before the subsequent application date for retirement extension using the 800K in the bank, that is indeed the currently enforced rule across Thailand.

read the contents of my post again.

The new regulations as of December last year are that you are required to go to Nongkai Immigration and apply for extension three months before current one expires and at that time you need to show 800k in the bank for three months prior. This is what he said and I think this is what he meant.

ok. just got off the phone again with Khun Orachun and both me and the wife spoke to him. I told him my funds have only been in the bank a month or so but my visa doesn't expire for another two months....."Mai Di"....3 months".

The new regulations went into effect in December of last year. I was told I had to come "Now" and maybe he can help !! Otherwise, he added, I will have to go to Vientiene and start all over........you can call 042 420242 and ask for yourself.

happen to have met this particular immigration officer one time.So are you saying that you have been informed that you need to apply for your extension 3 months before expiry date?and if that is the case what about the money seasoning,is it still 3 months prior to expiry or are you now thinking it has to be 3 months before applying,effectively making it 6 months defore expiry date.?

read the contents of my post again.

The new regulations as of December last year are that you are required to go to Nongkai Immigration and apply for extension three months before current one expires and at that time you need to show 800k in the bank for three months prior. This is what he said and I think this is what he meant.

Sorry to hear that if really true. It is still hard to believe but you have to deal with it there, my regrets. That is not the national rule. There is no national requirement to apply three months early! There is a national rule to season your money for three months prior to the application date (800K method, subsequent extensions).

Edited by Jingthing

There is no national requirement to apply three months early! There is a national rule to season your money for three months prior to the application date (800K method, subsequent extensions).

This I'm well aware of after living here 20 years. the "New Regulation" is probably just for Nongkai....looks like I'll be moving to another province....If someone has a current phone number for ChiangKhan and also Bkk can you kindly post it.

I've tried all the numbers on the Thai Gov't website and no luck at all. thanks

Edited by Tomissan

happen to have met this particular immigration officer one time.So are you saying that you have been informed that you need to apply for your extension 3 months before expiry date?and if that is the case what about the money seasoning,is it still 3 months prior to expiry or are you now thinking it has to be 3 months before applying,effectively making it 6 months defore expiry date.?

you are correct in your first and last paragraph. I was told I need to go "Now" and show funds for the last 3 months even though my visa doesn't expire for another two months.........good luck for anyone who lives in Udonthani & Khon kaen.....edited again after speaking to Immigration Chiang Khan.......apply 10-15 days prior to expiration date.....

looks again like Nongkai makes their own rules......a few years ago they messed me up on my visa for work permit, had to go to Vientiane where at the time were making it difficult also.....anyone have a decent house for rent in Laos ?

I'm kinda getting fed up with some of the crap....

Edited by Tomissan

Hearing voices are you?

I got my retirement extension at NK 29 dec 2008, expiration date was 17 Jan 2009, have to 17 Jan 2010 now

Kun Orachun, is that our friendly man sitting at his desk near the window? :o

I just called, spoke to Khun Orachun and was told the same things Tomissan reported above. No ghosts, no "hearing voices", etc. New regulations as of December.

maybe after a few more people call they can either verify or not. Your visa renewal was done 3 months ago. many things have changed since then.

Edited by excaliber

Seems everybody doing visa stuff on Monday...very crowded. I wait a few days. But I can not believe there is a new rule about this. I usually renew my ret visa 5 weeks before expiring and it's always issued in 20 minutes.....

There is no rule. It is either a Nong Kai only thing (nothing is impossible with them) Or it is a misunderstanding

Misunderstanding I'm thinking. A friend renewed his not so long ago without hassle one week in advance of expiry. As per regulations had his 800K in the bank 3 months prior.

Theres nothing on Udon Map from guys saying that they have had to make their applications 3 months before the expiry date.I'm sure if this was the rule their would be a bit of an outcry on that website about it.

Last year I got my extension from Nong Khai about 5 weeks before it was due and they said it is best to make your application a month or so before in case Immigration discover a problem with your paperwork then you have time to get it sorted before the visa expires.

I tend to think its a misunderstanding and the Immigration guy was harping on about you having to have money in your account 3 months prior.

From my visits to Nong Khai Immigration I've found that none of the officers speak particularily good english so its not surprising misunderstandings occur.

Dont panic,Captain Mainwaring :o

There is no rule. It is either a Nong Kai only thing (nothing is impossible with them) Or it is a misunderstanding

Misunderstanding I'm thinking. A friend renewed his not so long ago without hassle one week in advance of expiry. As per regulations had his 800K in the bank 3 months prior.

A misunderstanding,most likely,but with NK ,not so sure!

Tell you my story next week,AFTER receiving my year stamp in NK. :o

A misunderstanding,most likely,but with NK ,not so sure!

Tell you my story next week,AFTER receiving my year stamp in NK. :o

Did my 90 day reporting yesterday and asked if there where any changes from last year relating to 800K rules.

The senior lady officer responded after one of the less senior ladies referred my question to her.

Told non, same as last year and no mention of the O.P,s concerns.

Possibly a mis understanding in the translations by the officer.................... ahem ?

Same as always re my visit by the way.......friendly service and no problems.

Noted they have extended the sitting area and put more seats in place from my last renewal.

No sign of the infamous spectacled one by the way, but his position is still marked with his name card ????

Thank you

Any updates re the 800K renewal and documentation, by those visiting for this in the future would be appreciated.

Edited by sheff_mick