Thailand To Use Blimp To Survey Muslim Insurgency

sabaijai

But any laser on a decent scope can paint a heat target on it

and send a missile on it's way. All depends on the seeker head design.

ANY reports of ANY missles being used in the Deep South at ANY time?

I can imagine this is the end of flights into Hat Yai Airport.

All Bangkok-KL or Bangkok Penang or Samui-Penang flights

will be re-routed at passengers expense.

This is a boondoggle.

Only if you don't understand the technology and specifications.

Do you think they aren't already in place around the world without disrupting air traffic?

This is a boondoggle.

Do you think they aren't already in place around the world without disrupting air traffic?

John, I read Janes from time to time.

Where these are deployed it is already too dangerous for a commercial flights to go by.

If enough insurgents think they will get nailed by this they can find a way to bring it down.

There have likely been no missiles down there because of lack of many high value targets.

Why pay for missiles of you can do it from a Honda?

I am NOT against stopping the supply lines for the insurgents.

The border down there is WAY too porous for sure.

Edited by animatic

This is a boondoggle.

John, I read Janes from time to time.

Where these are deployed it is already too dangerous for a commercial flights to go by.

If enough insurgents think they will get nailed by this they can find a way to bring it down.

There have likely been no missiles down there because of lack of many high value targets.

Why pay for missiles of you can do it from a Honda?

I am NOT against stopping the supply lines for the insurgents.

The border down there is WAY too porous for sure.

In the early sixties I was down in Malacca when the Indons were trying to disrupt the Malays & Yong Ping was doing his best up on the Thai border...What beat them both was a proper surveilience operation with artillery and air support...Counter ops were very, very efficient and the threats disappeared, along with the bad guys, in a fairly short time...It's just the Thai army doing what it does best...be ineffectual :o

Hope those mean/bad old Muslim Insurgency don't get luck and shot it down, no doubt they will try. :D:D

The som-tam lady tells me, the Thai military have a clever solution to this threat, they will paint Osama's face on the blimp, and thus deter any muslim from attacking it. :o Who needs stealth-technology ? :D

Unlike other surveillance platforms, the proposed airship will stay aloft for 10 years and provide a constant watch over an area, air force officials said.

"It is absolutely revolutionary," said Werner Dahm, chief scientist for the air force. "It is a cross between a satellite and a Global Hawk [spy plane]."

The airship will fly at 65,000 feet, or 12 miles, beyond the range of any handheld missile, and safe from most fighter planes. At that height, it would be nearly impossible to see.

Who has a UAV (assuming that is what they are buying) that can fly to 65,000 feet?? As far as I know there is still a race on to be the first to provide one that does this. Any idea who the manufacturer is supposed to be?

Maybe they could paint a picture of Mohamed on it and the insurgents will think its their god flying to Mecca!

So, if I were an insurgent, I would look up in the sky and say "Oh, the blimp is over there, so let's go this way."

This really, really isn't rocket science is it?

Lockheed Martin's Stealth Blimp from 1982

post-19400-1237086489_thumb.jpg

Perhaps one of these stealth limps hovering over the troubled areas may not raise any suspicions.......just another UFO sighting.

Oh, and I hope they remember to inflate with helium, not hydrogen. :o

Hydrogens cheaper......

Unlike other surveillance platforms, the proposed airship will stay aloft for 10 years and provide a constant watch over an area, air force officials said.

"It is absolutely revolutionary," said Werner Dahm, chief scientist for the air force. "It is a cross between a satellite and a Global Hawk [spy plane]."

The airship will fly at 65,000 feet, or 12 miles, beyond the range of any handheld missile, and safe from most fighter planes. At that height, it would be nearly impossible to see.

Who has a UAV (assuming that is what they are buying) that can fly to 65,000 feet?? As far as I know there is still a race on to be the first to provide one that does this. Any idea who the manufacturer is supposed to be?

Link to the article;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/1...r-force-airship

Hope those mean/bad old Muslim Insurgency don't get luck and shot it down, no doubt they will try. :D:D

The som-tam lady tells me, the Thai military have a clever solution to this threat, they will paint Osama's face on the blimp, and thus deter any muslim from attacking it. :o Who needs stealth-technology ? :D

Hmmmm.... anybody remember 'Black Hawk down?' The safest american close-combat air warship that couldn't be taken down by missles - but could be by a bunch of guys with (relatively) old rifles.

To quote from the song 'Fare thee well Titanic, fare thee well' ... "She was a good ship, made of good wood, they said she'd *never* go down." (yeah, ok, it was steel, but that's the song, ok? :D )

{edited for proper song title)

Edited by noahvail

Link to the article;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/1...r-force-airship

Thanks for the link Gary, I've already read this elsewhere and it is basically a project which is aiming to be completed by 2014, it hasn't got a working product yet they are working on a prototype. As far as I know Hi-Sentinel reached this height in 2005 but the problem is no one can do it autonomously at the moment and stay on station.

Edited by rdog

Hmmmm.... anybody remember 'Black Hawk down?' The safest american close-combat air warship that couldn't be taken down by missles - but could be by a bunch of guys with (relatively) old rifles.

Not sure what you are referring too, as a Blackhawk is just a transport helicopter and has never been claimed to be untouchable...

To quote from the song 'Fare thee well Titanic, fare thee well' ... "She was a good ship, made of good wood, they said she'd *never* go down." (yeah, ok, it was steel, but that's the song, ok? :wai: )

{edited for proper song title)

"No they wouldn't let Jack Johnson on board,

they said this ship don't haul no coal.

Fare thee well Titanic, fare thee well"

"Ballade of the USS Titanic" , was the actual title.

(yes he knew it was HMS Titanic of course)

Well i NEVER expected to see Jamie Brocket quoted here in my wildest dreams.

That song was recorded in our studio many moons ago.

I met Jamie a few times, funny guy for sure.

Are you going to 'The Ballad of Avenging Annie' next? :D