I Was Almost Bitten By A Snake.

sparrow

Well not actually biten but close, when i got near it the thing jumped and twisted in the air, at which point i ran for it. Once inside i got a better look at it through the window as it appeared to slither down a hole under the concreet slab my house is built on. It was brown with nondistinct black bits, its body was short and fat with a small head and tail, about maybe 50-70cm in total.

Could you please help me identify what it is and if its dangerous. Its living right next to where i hang on the washin and we've a one year old who until today has enjoyed playing in the garden. Whatever it is i'd like to get rid of it, any ideas how this can be done? powders, herbs or wrangers?

No photo sorry

If it showed a hood, and was agressive, then it may have been a cobra. you might encourage it to relocate it's home by pouring some diesel fuel....but who knows where it will relocate to. maybe a little gasoline and cook him.

Well not actually biten but close, when i got near it the thing jumped and twisted in the air, at which point i ran for it. Once inside i got a better look at it through the window as it appeared to slither down a hole under the concreet slab my house is built on. It was brown with nondistinct black bits, its body was short and fat with a small head and tail, about maybe 50-70cm in total.

Could you please help me identify what it is and if its dangerous. Its living right next to where i hang on the washin and we've a one year old who until today has enjoyed playing in the garden. Whatever it is i'd like to get rid of it, any ideas how this can be done? powders, herbs or wrangers?

No photo sorry

Sounds very much like the Northern Black Tipped Westinghouse snake to me. They generally lie in the leafy or grassy shade of hanging drying washing, and when left along they are happy to sleep the day away and will remain quite docile. They are however highly venomous, and at night can become very aggressive when they become aware that the washing is gone. They have been known to stalk their victims at night, delivering a lethal bite to the neck. I highly recommend that in order to prevent such fate, you either leaves the washing on the line, or sleep with the lights on. Either way, good luck.

If it showed a hood, and was agressive, then it may have been a cobra. you might encourage it to relocate it's home by pouring some diesel fuel....but who knows where it will relocate to. maybe a little gasoline and cook him.

Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing some research and think it looks like either a read snake, sunbeam snake, or i hope not a brown pit viper (some photos the head is not so big as others). Basically the head seemed to be a continuation of its body getting smaller so think its not the pit viper. The reed snake looks most simmilar but is slow moving and docile apparrently, so the jumping aggyness is making me think something else, perhapse the sunbeam which is thankfully also harmless and has been known to jump. Could be something else though i've not found out about which looks simmilar to the affore mentioned?

Anyone any expirience getting rid of the things, suggestions much apprietieated, ,,,,, Thanks

Sounds very much like the Northern Black Tipped Westinghouse snake to me. They generally lie in the leafy or grassy shade of hanging drying washing, and when left along they are happy to sleep the day away and will remain quite docile. They are however highly venomous, and at night can become very aggressive when they become aware that the washing is gone. They have been known to stalk their victims at night, delivering a lethal bite to the neck. I highly recommend that in order to prevent such fate, you either leaves the washing on the line, or sleep with the lights on. Either way, good luck.

Very reassuring. I didn't even have the OP's experience, but now you've got ME sleeping with the lights on! :o

is it one of these

looks like the one on the left only with a shorter tail (maybe it just fell off/ got chewed buy next doors cat?), what is it?

Picture: Wolfgang Grossmann

Xenochrophis piscator (Checkered Keelback)

Thai: (ngu lai so yai, ngu daeng hae)

Length: Up to 120 cm

Occurrence:

Throughout Thailand in heights up to 1600 meters; more commonly found in flat land up to a height of 300 meters.

Habitat and behaviour:

The fish snake can mainly be found near waters. The snake is usually active during the day and often covers large distances on the hunt for food. Many can be found on the streets after a heavy rainfall. If agitated the snakes flatten out their neck region and erect their upper bodies. Due to this defensive reaction they are often mistaken for a cobra. When fleeing the snake moves along smooth surfaces (e.g. streets) in sideways movements and jumps forwards.

Danger:

The snake is not dangerous to humans. If they are threatened or even simply taken in the hand, they do bite very quickly. Whitaker & Captain claimed that they swam in ponds inhabited by fish snakes and were never bitten.

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_common.html

i got the picture from this site

Very reassuring. I didn't even have the OP's experience, but now you've got ME sleeping with the lights on! :o

Don't forget to leave the washing on the line too.

JxP.

could have been a copper headed racer snake these coil back on themselves and can jump about a meter , they are poisonous but i dont think deadly although it would probably be deadly to a 1 year old . sorry cant help much without photo

i actually have a snake in the garden at the moment. perhaps 3/4th a meter long. black on the top, cream/yellow on the belly. have a gut feeling its a dangerous one.. took pictures of it but got no card reader at the moment to post the image here. will do it tomorrow.

What's the small green bugger, about a metre long and a centimetre diameter? Seen a couple in the garden, including one the other day that decided to launch itself from a tree onto the ground right in front of me. Would have been fun if it had wrapped itself round me neck :o

I stumbled upon this forum and would like to post a pic of a green snake I saw 2 years ago in a tree next to our car park. Anyone know if this snake is dangerous ??...certainly to birds he is. Thx.

post-57118-1236995427_thumb.jpg

post-57118-1236995504_thumb.jpg

Edited by FairwayJack

My Father always said "close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades" I guess he would know he played both. In any event it reminds me of the parable the Buddha told about the man who was shot with a poisoned arrow:

The Buddha compares a man obsessed with speculation to a man struck by a poisoned arrow. A man has been struck by a poison arrow and he is dying. When a physician comes to him and offers to remove the arrow, the man says " No, I won't let you take out the arrow, until you tell me the name of the man who shot me, what class he comes from, what his family is, what kind of material the arrow is made of, etc. Such a man will die before the arrow is removed.

So, I would suggest if you are actually bitten by a snake go to the hospital don't worry about the snakes name or nationality.

I stumbled upon this forum and would like to post a pic of a green snake I saw 2 years ago in a tree next to our car park. Anyone know if this snake is dangerous ??...certainly to birds he is. Thx.

Green Vine Snake (Ahaetulla nasuta) - it's bite can be lethal to humans under 10cm tall, otherwise it's venom can produce severe local swelling that subsides in a few days. Get treatment though as they tend to leave teeth behind in the wound.

So, I would suggest if you are actually bitten by a snake go to the hospital don't worry about the snakes name or nationality.

Well, while it is a priority to get a victim to medical attention, snake bites are treated with different anti-venoms and it is enormously helpful to provide as much evidence of the snakes identity as possible, ranging from a simple description to the actual creature itself (dead or in a sealed container).

Local doctors will know the likely culprits and make a best guess from your description and the wound itself. If you cannot capture/kill the perpetrator yourself in a timely fashion, leave instructions for it to be captured and brought to whatever hospital/clinic you are heading, perhaps offering a reward.

Green Vine Snake (Ahaetulla nasuta) - it's bite can be lethal to humans under 10cm tall, otherwise it's venom can produce severe local swelling that subsides in a few days. Get treatment though as they tend to leave teeth behind in the wound.

Snakes Got Teeth??

Well, while it is a priority to get a victim to medical attention, snake bites are treated with different anti-venoms and it is enormously helpful to provide as much evidence of the snakes identity as possible, ranging from a simple description to the actual creature itself (dead or in a sealed container).

Local doctors will know the likely culprits and make a best guess from your description and the wound itself. If you cannot capture/kill the perpetrator yourself in a timely fashion, leave instructions for it to be captured and brought to whatever hospital/clinic you are heading, perhaps offering a reward.

Yes, of course. I suppose my point was the heading of the topic. In case of a snake bite providing you haven't killed or captured the snake is to get as good a of a look as you can so you can describe it however the hospitals do have a "mug shot" book so you can identify it. But the most reasonable course of action is to seek immediate medical attention. Worst case is that different venom's cause different effects thus the doctors can pretty much pin it down.

My Father always said "close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades" I guess he would know he played both. In any event it reminds me of the parable the Buddha told about the man who was shot with a poisoned arrow:

The Buddha compares a man obsessed with speculation to a man struck by a poisoned arrow. A man has been struck by a poison arrow and he is dying. When a physician comes to him and offers to remove the arrow, the man says " No, I won't let you take out the arrow, until you tell me the name of the man who shot me, what class he comes from, what his family is, what kind of material the arrow is made of, etc. Such a man will die before the arrow is removed.

if you were bitten by a snake i think the hospital would find it helpfull if you could identify it. i think the actual advice is to try and kill it and take it with you, "if its safe to do so" the buggers just bitten you so i'd of thought its not exactly safe, but worth a go, seems so many look similar it could be a bit hit an miss with the anti venoms and probably don't want to mix it up too much, like your drinks. I agree can't live in fear of these things, though i am taking steps to get rid and keep rid, powders, herbs and plants, not sure if work but make me feel better anyhow.

This is the snake that was at the home last night. Don't know where its gone today but can anyone identify this fella?

From the look of it and shape of the head, judging from all the pictures i've been looking at today, your one seems to be a viper, propper poisonious, fatal or if not the venom actualy eats your flesh and bones so you could lose a leg at least. I was told to put calcium carbanate around the house outside and down the drain pipes, apparrently they dont like the smell or something

This is the snake that was at the home last night. Don't know where its gone today but can anyone identify this fella?

From the look of it and shape of the head, judging from all the pictures i've been looking at today, your one seems to be a viper, propper poisonious, fatal or if not the venom actualy eats your flesh and bones so you could lose a leg at least. I was told to put calcium carbanate around the house outside and down the drain pipes, apparrently they dont like the smell or something

can anyone confirm this??? it does look dangerous. all black on top and cream at the bottom.

Thx....Noted the danger this snake poses....BTW...I don't know any people under 10cm