Taking My Dog On A Road Trip

Oldfield

Hi all

I am planning to take my small doggie on holiday with me. I will be driving from Isaan to a beach resort on the Eastern seaboard (not sure where yet)

I would like to take my dog and stay in a bungalow/hut near the beach.

I realise that a lot of hotels will not allow pets, but it may be possible to take a small dog to a bungalow type place.

Has ANYONE done anything similar? Do you know of any resorts that accept dogs?

Any advice/help appreciated.

You might post your question on the Pattaya thread if you decide to go to that area. Someone recently posted there (Pattaya thread) the names of several hotels that allowed pets in the rooms.

Good question. Interested to hear the response.

I've been faced with this problem but had little success. Last year managed to find on the internet a place on Koh Chang called something like Koh Chang Beach Resort. They accepted pets and i booked the place, but when we arrived it really was pretty awful. We moved to a neighbouring resort which was great, but had to smuggle our dog in and out of the room. It wasn't until almost the last day when a cleaner came across our pouch and we were rumbled. They very reluctantly allowed us to stay the remaining day but we were sternly told not to return with pet. I understand these places have the rules for a reason, but it is frustrating nonetheless if you are attached to your pet. I'm sure they'd be a big market for more resorts that catered for pet lovers.

You might post your question on the Pattaya thread if you decide to go to that area. Someone recently posted there (Pattaya thread) the names of several hotels that allowed pets in the rooms.

LOL - I think you'll find all Pattaya hotels accept dogs (just not the four-legged variety!) :o

Thanks. Where might I find said 'Pattaya thread' exactly.

Cheers

Hi oldfield, just sold a place in Phuket that I am sure would be awesome for your dog. If phuket is an option for you I can refer you to the people that now run the show. Huge(3Rai) fenced yard and nice couple of long term people as residents. PM me if you want more info

there is no problem with pets in a smaller, family run guest houses or bungalows. You might be asked to pay extra for a dog or deposit against any damage or cleaning, but it's a small money.

in big hotels, chains the rules are from the owner and receptionist can't do much about it.

there is no problem with pets in a smaller, family run guest houses or bungalows. You might be asked to pay extra for a dog or deposit against any damage or cleaning, but it's a small money.

Doesn't match my experience at all. Even small dingy back street places seem to have a strict policy on pets.

Thanks. Where might I find said 'Pattaya thread' exactly.

Cheers

Go back to the forum list (Thailand Forum) then scroll down to Thai Local Forum. Then scroll down to Pattaya and post your question like you did in this forum.

i agree with Rixalex. i travelled for 8 months all through Thailand with my 4pds. maltese and had nothing but trouble. i had to smuggle my dogs most everywhere and the experience ended up being very stressful and not pleasant at all. after a while, i just refused to live "in hiding" and whenever i arrived in a new location, i'd rent a scooter and with my dog harnessed to me, i'd do the round of bungalows etc until i found a suitable place that would accept us.

good luck to you. you will be faced with a lot of adversity.

I believe the Evason Resort in Hua Hin (well, outside Hua Hin actually) accepts guests with pet dogs. I think though that the hotel has its own kennel and that the dogs don't actually get to stay with the guests in the rooms? Not sure though.

At least your dog can travel with you though.

Hi all,

I recently went on a road trip with my large mongrel Baan Kaeow Labrador cross, Athit. We traveled from Chiang Mai down to Phuket. I was worried that we would have trouble finding accomodation that would accept the dog and I was ready to leave the dog in the back of my car. I found I didn't need to do this. We stayed the night in two towns on the way down to Phuket and stayed on the beach in Hat Nai Thon in a very nice room. Looked for the web page of the hotel on Hat Nai Thon that we stayed at but could not find it I'm afraid. We also stayed on an out of the way beach on the way back and stayed at a wonderful resort. This resort had a rule against dogs staying in the rooms but we were able to stay.

I found generally that if I called ahead to the hotel that I was more likely to get told that it was impossible for dogs to stay than if I turned up there with the dog and they could see that the dog was clean and well behaved.

I cannot give you the names of any of the hotels I'm afraid since either they made a special exception for me and my dog and / or I cannot remember the names of the hotels.

I can understand why many hotels do not allow dogs to stay since dogs often are not allowed in houses here. And because there seem to be an awful lot of ticks and fleas here which dogs can pick up and bring into homes and / or hotel rooms.

I heard that the TAT had a recent campaign to promote travel from overseas with your dog and that there is even a book available with a list of dog friendly hotels but could not find a reference to that online. I did find this concrete information www.hotelthailand.com/pet-friendly-hotels/

Jamie

I have travelled with a small dog in the past but it certainly restricts your options. From memory the Chai Chet bungalows and Banphu resort on Koh Chang both allowed us to stay but we had to drive around a lot and were turned away from most places. Another problem with taking your dog to the beach resorts are the local dogs on the beaches who can be aggressively territorial. I've just remembered another place which accepted us, that was the Saikaew Resort on Koh Samet. Good Luck.

TV 's Pets Forum also springs to mind, however I also recall seeing a website that I probably can't mention on ThaiVisa that listed pet-friendly hotels, PM me if you can't find it yourself. The other source of this infomation will be the Thai Tourist Office - just what they are in business for.

HTH

Hi all

I am planning to take my small doggie on holiday with me. I will be driving from Isaan to a beach resort on the Eastern seaboard (not sure where yet)

I would like to take my dog and stay in a bungalow/hut near the beach.

I realise that a lot of hotels will not allow pets, but it may be possible to take a small dog to a bungalow type place.

Has ANYONE done anything similar? Do you know of any resorts that accept dogs?

Any advice/help appreciated.

You have your own transport that is good.

I took a taxi once to Pattaya with my pug, coming back was problem because of him , they want more and a bad car..

Anyway i know two places who accept small dogs, well behave in Pattaya

Rabbit resort jomtien ( not cheap, but good )

http://www.rabbitresort.com/

and

The three Elephants (much better value) name Ruud De Vos tel 038303056

mobile 0818035415

give them a call

Cheers