Cost Of Living ?

heydaz

Hate to disagree but it just wasn't so.

Here is what is was

2007-08-07 August 07, Tuesday 25.8255 THB 2007-08-08 August 08, Wednesday 26.5176 THB 2007-08-09 August 09, Thursday 26.5655 THB 2007-08-10 August 10, Friday 26.6164 THB 2007-08-13 August 13, Monday 26.369 THB

Edited by nohab

Here is what is was

2007-08-07 August 07, Tuesday 25.8255 THB 2007-08-08 August 08, Wednesday 26.5176 THB 2007-08-09 August 09, Thursday 26.5655 THB 2007-08-10 August 10, Friday 26.6164 THB 2007-08-13 August 13, Monday 26.369 THB

I like people to disagree with me. :D

No argument from me - must be a data entry error on Google finance :o

Here is what is was

I like people to disagree with me. :D

No argument from me - must be a data entry error on Google finance :o

No worries Loosecannon.

I don't remember the $A ever being worth less than 20 baht at least over the past 10 years.

I agree but I just wanted to point out that it is very unlikely to go as low as 15 baht. It usually sits around the mid 20's and if you do your sums on 20 worst case and 30 best case you should be OK.

Would the OP be one of the thousands of 15 day visa runners. I guess that cost has to be figured into his wealth management. What if he gets sick or hit by a tuk-tuk and requiring a hospital stay? This sounds like a recipe for disaster. The Italian guy on the Rama VIII bridge had a plan like this at one time. Anyway, he probably could live more cheaply in the jungle. That requires research and travel to the region. I hope the OP likes vegetables and rice.

Many expats get by on 23,000 to 24,000 Baht a month but I question the quality of life issues with so little money to spend. Alone in a foreign country with no money is no way to live. The stress of everyday having to get by on a few hundred Baht may eventually become too much. When he finally gets caught overstaying because the twice a month trips to the boarder became too arduous, then what?

I know quite a few pensioners who are more than happy with their lifestyle in Thailand on a relatively small budget. One I know has a pension of over 50,000 Baht per month and has difficulty spending more than 10,000 (not inc rent). It's not that he's stingy, in fact he's done his bit to help nephews and nieces get a good education.

These people I know have a group that meet up at different places about 4 nights a week. Quiet Thai places where a large beer costs less than 50 Baht and for those who don't drink alcohol, a soft drink is 10 or 15 Baht.

When was the $A worth 15 baht?

Very briefly....

August 10 2007 - $1.00 = B14.02

August 3 2007 - B25.75

August 24 2007 - B27.53

Maybe because of this.......

"Monday 13th August 2007 Interbank rate:

GB POUNDS /AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS 2.3833

The Reserve Bank of Australia joined the rest of the world’s central banks on Friday injecting almost $5 billion Australian dollars into the banking system to ensure the global banking system remained liquid. This injection of unlimited cash by the worlds’ central banks seemed to calm markets in the US late Friday; however, it would very premature to say that the worst is over regarding this worldwide credit crunch."

The Aussie dollar was down at those levels for long periods during both the eighties and the nineties. One thing is for sure, nobody, but nobody, can predict currency fluctuations over the long run.

All we can do is look at the historical trends, and plan for the worst (while hoping for the best).

The Aussie dollar was down at those levels for long periods during both the eighties and the nineties. One thing is for sure, nobody, but nobody, can predict currency fluctuations over the long run.

All we can do is look at the historical trends, and plan for the worst (while hoping for the best).

If you cannot predict how low your currency will go, then you cannot plan for the worst as you can't know what the worst could be.

A few years back, I thought that the worst the £ would get would be 60 Baht, how wrong was I?

Hello to everyone!!

I've just found this site and registered.....i guess my first query has to be,is it possible to live in thailand on the australian disability pension?.....i lead a fairly modest life, nothing too outrageous.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

David

Counterquestion.

Can you live from a disability pension in Australia?

If yes; as far as I know Thailand is way cheaper then Australia.

Question answered.

MBL

P.S. and ofcourse many people here said it will be hard, just ignore those people, some people seem to loose brains when entering Thailand.

I live very comfortably with my Thai wife and daughter on THB 30,000 per month. My wife manages all the house money:

14,000/month for a very nice 2 BR/2 Bath fully furnished single-family detached home in a very quite residential neighborhood across Sukhumvit Road near Pattaya. Comes with three 25" TVs, fully air-conditioned, washer, full kitchen and appliances, etc. in a gated community. Plenty of malls, activities, etc. within 15 min.

4,000/month for cable, electric, phone, internet, water, trash, etc.

6,000/month for food trips to Lotus and local farmers' market (HIGHLY recommend farmers' market if your wife/or live-in understands food hygiene and preparation)

6,000/month for dining out, entertainment, movies, days lounging on beach, fuel for car, etc. Wife keeps whatever she doesn't spend.

I also recommend buying a car or motorbike from an auction. We bought our good-as-new SUV from a Bangkok auction (the one near the Lao embassy) for 330,000 and perhaps another 30,000 in minor repairs/maintenance. Nearly-new motorbikes are also plentiful for 12,000-16,000 if that is your style.

Although I am happily married for several years, when I was single, I had a rule of "never play where I lay". That said, I strongly recommend you to get a place far away from the nightlife scene where you can have peace when you want it. Then, perhaps keep a small room (lots to be found for 3,000/month) near where you play for playing. You WILL tire of the candy, eventually.

If in the Pattaya area, it is possible for someone single to live nicely for much less. I would agree with other posters that 20,000 is plenty. Add 5,000 (and perhaps some "promises"/sweet-talk) for a live-in who has her own job or 10,000 for one who does not. Highly recommend a live-in rather than the butterfly life. You can always trade-up. (Cold, yes, but that is the reality and norm in LOS).

Cheers!

Thats right, the longest you will get is just short of Three months in Thailand without having to fly back home ($1000AUD return aprox) and renew your benefit at Centrestink. then fly back again/ So that just cuts yoru income by approx 33% anyway the 3 months ties in well though with the tourist visa thing (wich will cost you I think $100AUD approx and accomodation and living back in Aus... yoru lossing money quick if you want to pay for your next airline ticket.

However dont let that stop you. As long as you are not in teh major tourist places ie: Phuket Bangkok Pattaya etc you can live very well on $600 AUD a month as long as you dont intend saving.

HAve you considered upgrading yoru pension perhaps? There are Australian pensions that you can collect overseas for long periods or you can apply for permission to extend the 3 months DSP period in extreme circumstances ie: accessing medical/mental health facilitys that would be otherwise unaofrdable in Australia. This is hard however your local member of Parliament alongside with yoru doctor can swing it for you.

I live on 35,000 a month in Essarn and of that I save 20,000 baht a month my lifestyle is comfortable. Head to Khon Kaen or Udon or somewhere like that and save yourself a heap of dough. Chok Dee mate!

pls consider Udon Thani for a budget living - you will have choice of condos for about 4-5K thb per month with aircon and tv (sometimes with hi-speed internet), food courts at Tops and BigC or Lotus for meals around 100thb, transportation by songthaew in range 10-15bht, visa runs to nearby Vientiane and friendly expats community

check udonmap.com for details

Hello to everyone!!

I've just found this site and registered.....i guess my first query has to be,is it possible to live in thailand on the australian disability pension?.....i lead a fairly modest life, nothing too outrageous.

David

Possible, may I ask how much is your Pension? Any family here? :o:D

Hello to everyone!!

David

I think Centrelink will cancel your Australian disability pension, if you live in a foreign country. :o