Buying Cycle Masks In Chiang Mai

WaterlessFish

Has anyone had any luck buying a decent cycle mask anywhere in Chiang Mai? I've had a look around and all I can find are the cotton masks or those surgical masks. I want a proper one that preferably seals up around the edges. My lungs feel like they're coated with soot (which they probably are) and I need some way to stop this stuff from coating it further.

Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Has anyone had any luck buying a decent cycle mask anywhere in Chiang Mai? I've had a look around and all I can find are the cotton masks or those surgical masks. I want a proper one that preferably seals up around the edges. My lungs feel like they're coated with soot (which they probably are) and I need some way to stop this stuff from coating it further.

Any tips would be great. Thanks!

try a hardware store

The small pharmacy on Thanon Rachdomnoen about 15 meters past Black Canyon coffee has 140 baht masks with elastic bands that go around the head, not on the ears (so you can put on a proper helmet without dislodging the mask) and the thin metal bands that are bent to conform to the nose. They're not great masks, but they're the best I've found.

The masks that heybruce refer to are excellent at filtering out small particles but they don't withstand heavy cycling because they soil very easily and deteriorate quickly if you sweat profusely.

I have a Respro mask myself and wouldn't wear anything else for cycling anywhere in Thailand. I'm not sure they'll ship to Thailand (bought mine in the UK) but you could give them a go.

http://www.respro.com/products/sports-leis...ling/city_mask/

Alternatively, these guys say they ship worldwide: http://totobobo.com/blog/?page_id=98

It might be worth giving them a try.

For the air pollution in CM, you will need a N95 rated mask. 3M makes them, can find them around. These will stop the fine particles.

It's true the above mask is effective for stopping fine particles, in fact it was a very popular choice during the SARS crisis. Unfortunately, it's not very practical if you like to cycle fast or enjoy riding up the mountains, as breathing becomes almost impossible. It's good for motorcycling (providing you don't wear a full face helmet) , or a gentle stroll perhaps, but not really an option for those who do any form of physical exercise :o

Aitch

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll try jingjokes suggestion of the Wualai Road 3M store first for that N95 mask. I'm only going to be using it for motorbike riding anyway (sorry for the confusion with my OP wording) so I shouldn't be sweating a lot for now.

Any idea on how much the N95 mask comes to at the 3M store?

Note the bottom line.

Face masks may help prevent heart events

Published: March 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM

EDINBURGH, Scotland, March 12 (UPI) -- Exposure to engine pollution results in arterial stiffness, but a face mask reduces exposure to airborne pollution particles, Scottish researchers said.

Nicholas Mills of the University of Edinburgh said acute exposure to diesel exhaust is associated with an immediate and transient increase in arterial stiffness.

"This may, in part, explain the increased risk for cardiovascular disease associated with air pollution exposure," Mills said in a statement.

A group of 12 non-smoking young men cycled on exercise bikes while breathing air that had either been filtered or been contaminated with smoke from a diesel engine. The study, published in the journal Particle and Fibre Toxicology, found that when the subjects were exposed to the polluted air, the blood vessels in their wrists temporarily lost the ability to expand and contract.

"Stiff arteries can result in raised blood pressure and reduced blood flow in the heart," Mills said. "Arterial stiffness plays an important role in hypertension and is an independent predictor of mortality."

In a separate article, also published in Particle and Fibre Toxicology, researchers report wearing a face mask reduced exposure to airborne pollution particles and a reduction in blood pressure and improved heart rate control during exercise in a city center environment.

"We tested a range of face masks that differed widely in their efficiency as particle filters," Jeremy Langrish of the University of Edinburgh said. "In general, those masks designed to reduce occupational exposure to dusts in the workplace were more efficient than those marketed to cyclists and pedestrians."

3M's N95 mask is amongst the best. 3M is located on Wualai Road( the silver-smiths' road) on the left as you head SW from Chiangmai Gate near the bottom before it joins the 3-way intersection on the way to Airport Plaza.

I went up and down Wua Lai Road three times today looking for the 3M store. I couldn't see it. There was no 3M sign anywhere on that road. I don't know if I'm missing something here though. Can you tell me what the store looks like and what sign it has out the front? Thanks

Just an update.

That 3M shop is there. It was just shut when I drove past it before (funny that, it being a Sunday and all). Anyway they had a good selection of N95 masks and I bought four of the 8211 model for 178 Baht each. The most expensive one was 233 Baht (I can't remember the model number) and there were a lot which were cheaper.

Anyway, I now know where to buy good masks in Chiang Mai! Thanks all for the advice. My lungs thank you :o

Just an update.

That 3M shop is there. It was just shut when I drove past it before (funny that, it being a Sunday and all). Anyway they had a good selection of N95 masks and I bought four of the 8211 model for 178 Baht each. The most expensive one was 233 Baht (I can't remember the model number) and there were a lot which were cheaper.

Anyway, I now know where to buy good masks in Chiang Mai! Thanks all for the advice. My lungs thank you :o

So, where exactly is the 3M shop now?

Just an update.

Anyway, I now know where to buy good masks in Chiang Mai! Thanks all for the advice. My lungs thank you :D

So, where exactly is the 3M shop now?

The chemist (Drug Store for the Yanks!) in Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Centre sells them. About 160 Baht each i think. They're not washable though, so i guess you have to bin the buggers after a few days :o It's on the ground floor just opposite the entrance to TOPS Supermarket. Remember, don't buy them for exercising, or you'll be disappointed!

Aitch