Unusable Sftp And Ssh Performance

Veazer

I've been totally unable to update some US sites with my new Maxnet connection. It performs decently for most tasks, but SFTP is essentially unusable. It takes about 30-40 seconds just to retrieve a directory listing, if it works at all. Usually it just times out.

SSH shell access is slightly better, but not by much. I'm using non-standard ports, 2222 on one host and 1033 on another, but for some reason the traffic is still barely moving.

Any ideas on a cause or way to speed it up?

Maxnet Indy is actively promoted towards Thai people surfing Thai websites.

Their brochure clearly states that many other uses (VOIP, Torrents, P2P) are either blocked or severely throttled.

It is advisable for people needing fast and reliable overseas access, especially for other things then regular surfing or e-mailing, to use the Premier package...

Maxnet Indy is actively promoted towards Thai people surfing Thai websites.

Their brochure clearly states that many other uses (VOIP, Torrents, P2P) are either blocked or severely throttled.

It is advisable for people needing fast and reliable overseas access, especially for other things then regular surfing or e-mailing, to use the Premier package...

I'm aware of the pre-advised limitations for the Indy package, but as i stated general usage is fine. Single connection downloads are around 30KBps, multi-threaded easily hit 260-300KBps. Same for torrents, i am often well over 200 KBps during the daytime, higher at night. International browsing is also fine.

So given all that, why would an SSH shell connection with just a pee trickle of data be so abyssmally slow?

Just found a solution that fixes the problem completely.... I downloaded "Hotspot Shield" from anchorfree.com. It sets up a VPN connection through them, without any setup or configuration on my part, and allows me to access everything that was previously unusable.

Now the question is, do i trust AnchorFree enough to route traffic through them? What do they gain by giving away this service?

EDIT: i found out what they gain, it is ad sponsored for web browsing. I tested it on IE and found that it adds an ad banner on the top. I don't care though...

• the ads are blocked in firefox
  • I'll only enable this when needed
  • The ads don't affect SSH or SFTP anyway.

Edited by Veazer

if you just want to connect to your servers then it is a good solution. However, if you want secure SSH it kind of defeats the purpose going through a third party.

but if i'm using SSH-2, which is said to prevent MITM attacks, is this really a concern? Perhaps i'm being naive, but i don't know why it is any more dangerous to trust an encrypted connection through them versus a thai ISP.

I would venture to say that this product is a proxy and might be illegal under Thai law.

Circumventing Thai blocks is illegal, using proxies is not.

Actually, using any system which prevents the ISP's to log which websites you are visiting is illegal.

A VPN makes it impossible for an ISP to see what you are doing on the internet!

Then again, the majority of the multinationals use VPN's!

Actually, using any system which prevents the ISP's to log which websites you are visiting is illegal.

A VPN makes it impossible for an ISP to see what you are doing on the internet!

Then again, the majority of the multinationals use VPN's!

Is this from the 2007 Computer Crimes Act? I can't find anything in that would fit the description.

Use of a VPN and proxy services is legal and accepted by the government for normal business purposes (eg. managing your website or securing business communications). But it *isn't* legal to use them to deliberately avoid circumvent government censorship.

ie. VPNs and proxies are legal, but some *applications* of them are not.