Remove La Boucherie From Restaurant List

notasexpat

I think la boucherie should be removed from the restaurant list.

The list should only promote good restaurants, not scams. It says "best steak i have had here"

Well first off, its not hard to get a best steak since all steaks suck around here. But thats not what it is about.

I dont mind paying 5k for a meal if its good. i mind paying 300 baht if it taste like crap. La bouchderie is not only expensive but its ridiculously horrible.

charging 250baht for 6 snails (costs 30baht in my country for a can of 30 big ones) that are smaller than peas, put into a terrible persley and garlic sauce with 7/11 thai whiskey. WHAT?

I have had snails in more than 50 restaurants, it never tasted bad, so theres NO way this is because of my tastes. + Where the hel_l was the cheese for those micro snails?

Lasagna is 250-300baht, with very minimal meat, maybe 5noodles, cheapest cheese i have ever tasted. theres a 80 baht lasagna that taste terribly around here and it still tastes better.

The sauce they have used is the CHEAPEST one they use at tesco, the ones in the pastel cans. I remember because my friend made me pasta last year using that sauce and it almost made me cry. It's really painfull to eat crappy foods, i felt like a jew being fed rocks in a nazi camp.

Only acceptable thing was the overpriced steak with microwaved mashpotatoes(HORRIBLE)

There is many more things that are wrong with this restaurants but i think i made my point clear. they shouldnt be advertised. Any business sent to them is about the same as helping the tuktuk mafia.

Oh i forgot, they even gave me green tomatoes in the "salad with no sauce" can't even afford to give us tomatoes that are ready with a 500baht steak that probably is worth 150?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are implying you pay 5k for a meal there? I don't think so. Usually about 400-700pp, same as many many other restaurants in Patong. Overpriced? Maybe, but I can tell you the roast chicken there is absolutely one of the best things I have ever tasted. The baked potatoes are delish as well. I've had the spagetti bolagnaise, lasagna, pork chops, lamb chops, salmon, and I've never had a reason to complain. I've never found a place with really good mashed potatoes, with the exeption of maybe Don's, and I find La Boucherie's to be OK. I've never had snails, and never understood why anyone would want to.

I'm curious how you know it's 7-11 Thai Whiskey? How do you know they are microwaved mash potatoes and cheapest sauce at Tesco? Seems like a lot of conjecture to me.

Sounds like may you have a personal grudge with the owner or something. Maybe you experienced and isolated incedent, but from my experience La Boucherie is definately NOT a scam. I'm curios if you wrote this after a single visit? One bad experience there and "It's a scam!" I have eaten there probably 20 times, no major problems.

I think La Boucherie should stay on the list.

SB

Edited by Scubabuddha

to the OP, if your meal was so bad, then why not tell the restaurant? there is no way that they can right their wrong if they dont know. in all fairness to them, they should be given the opportunity to rectify the problem, and this can only be done if they know about it.

just my two bobs worth.

what's with the U.S. Maine Lobster at Joe's downstairs - never understood that???????????

What do you not understand???

can understand using foreign wines etc but why not phuket lobster?

Because "Phuket lobster" isn't a lobster, it's a crayfish (no claws).

The list should only promote good restaurants, not scams. It says "best steak i have had here"

Well first off, its not hard to get a best steak since all steaks suck around here. But thats not what it is about.

I dont mind paying 5k for a meal if its good. i mind paying 300 baht if it taste like crap. La bouchderie is not only expensive but its ridiculously horrible.

charging 250baht for 6 snails (costs 30baht in my country for a can of 30 big ones) that are smaller than peas, put into a terrible persley and garlic sauce with 7/11 thai whiskey. WHAT?

I have had snails in more than 50 restaurants, it never tasted bad, so theres NO way this is because of my tastes. + Where the hel_l was the cheese for those micro snails?

Lasagna is 250-300baht, with very minimal meat, maybe 5noodles, cheapest cheese i have ever tasted. theres a 80 baht lasagna that taste terribly around here and it still tastes better.

The sauce they have used is the CHEAPEST one they use at tesco, the ones in the pastel cans. I remember because my friend made me pasta last year using that sauce and it almost made me cry. It's really painfull to eat crappy foods, i felt like a jew being fed rocks in a nazi camp.

Only acceptable thing was the overpriced steak with microwaved mashpotatoes(HORRIBLE)

There is many more things that are wrong with this restaurants but i think i made my point clear. they shouldnt be advertised. Any business sent to them is about the same as helping the tuktuk mafia.

Oh i forgot, they even gave me green tomatoes in the "salad with no sauce" can't even afford to give us tomatoes that are ready with a 500baht steak that probably is worth 150?

Sir, :o

In my 10 years of visiting Thailand, having eaten all manner of gizzards, unknown tubular visceral things and by far the worst, the pretensions of western grub, I can assure you that you eat like a king on that particular night. Mind you, a franchise masquerading as a Frog joint flogging Italian fayre would have been warning enough for me.

Bon Appetite.

what's with the U.S. Maine Lobster at Joe's downstairs - never understood that???????????

isn't crayfish freshwater only?

not too up on it tbh, aware 'maine' type have a good name but given the deceased founder's fishing interests, the 'traditional' royal thai sister restaurant etc. would have thought local seafood might be pushed more - not a criticism (if 'maine' in tanks is that good? i don't know how well travels etc.) just slightly puzzled by it

Edited by thaiwanderer

Sir, :o

In my 10 years of visiting Thailand, having eaten all manner of gizzards, unknown tubular visceral things and by far the worst, the pretensions of western grub, I can assure you that you eat like a king on that particular night. Mind you, a franchise masquerading as a Frog joint flogging Italian fayre would have been warning enough for me.

Bon Appetite.

Yes like a king?

In phuket town i can have a salad of pate foie gras for 200baht

That is eating like a king

a crappy tbone for 500baht and the worse snails in the entire planet for 250baht is eating like a goddamn scammed fool

Tropical and cold water lobsters totally different quality.. Maine / Norwegian / NZ all have great lobsters. I would rather have farmed prawns than whats passed off as lobster here.

Tropical and cold water lobsters totally different quality.. Maine / Norwegian / NZ all have great lobsters. I would rather have farmed prawns than whats passed off as lobster here.

Yes this show how many people dont know shit about food yet reply in a food related post.

my favorite time of the year as a child was when we would drive many many many hours to new bruinswick canada and eat the fresh lobster they have (or in cape coad)

It was always costfull but worth it.

Last year i spent 40$ for a 'lobster' in patong. Could of given me plastic dropped into garlic sauce, i would not of seen the difference.

Cerberus, I think you are mistaken. The California Spiny Lobster, for example, has no claws, and its definitely a lobster, and I've seen plenty of crayfish with claws (which, as Thaiwander pointed out, are only found in freashwater) while diving in lakes.

Here I found this:

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/otagounidive/crayfish.pdf

sexpat, earlier you said the steak was acceptable:

Only acceptable thing was the overpriced steak...

Now it's "crappy"? So crappy food is acceptable now?

Yes this show how many people dont know shit about food yet reply in a food related post.

I don't want to speak for the rest of the board, but I eat food almost everyday, (and sometimes at la Boucherie)....I guess that doesn't qualify us to have an opinion here then?

Edited by Scubabuddha

my favorite time of the year as a child was when we would drive many many many hours to new bruinswick canada and eat the fresh lobster they have (or in cape coad)

It was always costfull but worth it.

Other's don't know much about spelling yet use a keyboard to try to convey their message.

You should've gone to New Brunswick in Oct when the "soft-shell" lobsters were in. They were around $3.25 a piece in the late 80's early 90's.

Taste even more tender than the big 2-3 pounders too.

Hi guys, I'm new here. I just want to say that Phuket lobster is actually a painted crayfish, which is a vegetarian. It lacks the flavour of a meat eating crayfish. Australian crayfish are fantastic, but I am not a fan of Thai lobster at all.

Back to the original post, I have eaten at La Boucherie three times and cannot agree with the comments that have been posted here (although everyone is entitled to their opinion). I ate a fantastic steak at the new restaurant there in February as well as some delicious Thai food. The new restaurant by the pool is beautiful and well worth visiting. I know the owner had a few problems with the sudden departure of a chef and perhaps the OP encountered a bad moment at that time. When I visited the restaurant, the owner was still in the midst of problems with staff, so the menu at the new restaurant was the same as La Boucherie. It will be changed soon though, if not already.

Hi guys, I'm new here. I just want to say that Phuket lobster is actually a painted crayfish, which is a vegetarian. It lacks the flavour of a meat eating crayfish. Australian crayfish are fantastic, but I am not a fan of Thai lobster at all.

Back to the original post, I have eaten at La Boucherie three times and cannot agree with the comments that have been posted here (although everyone is entitled to their opinion). I ate a fantastic steak at the new restaurant there in February as well as some delicious Thai food. The new restaurant by the pool is beautiful and well worth visiting. I know the owner had a few problems with the sudden departure of a chef and perhaps the OP encountered a bad moment at that time. When I visited the restaurant, the owner was still in the midst of problems with staff, so the menu at the new restaurant was the same as La Boucherie. It will be changed soon though, if not already.

Hi Tina. Welcome to TV. That's interesting about the Painted Crayfish, because I always thought, and everything I can find online tells me that Crayfish/Crawfish/Crawdads are freshwater only, but that many people refer to certain spiny clawless marine lobsters as crayfish, when in fact, technically, they are not. It appears the geneology actually puts them clearly in the lobster family. Freshwater/saltwater appears to be the delineating factor. According to the following links, there are many local variations in usage of the terms lobster vs. crayfish. I think this is where our confusion lies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/otagounidive/crayfish.pdf

I also learned the study of crayfish is called astacology. :o

The french Chef is gone?

Gerd

A new chef started there quite recently, Madam Pie Cooker has been working in reception some four months now.

Now we can be sure they will have the best pies over there :o .

Which nationality has the new Chef please........

Gerd

The french Chef is gone?

Gerd

A new chef started there quite recently, Madam Pie Cooker has been working in reception some four months now.

Gerd

Gerd, Isn't that totally off topic? What has the nationality of the chef to do with the quality of the cooking?

The french Chef is gone?

Gerd

Gerd

It was just a question..........just a question........

I did not mention it has something to do with the nationality.

Gerd

Gerd, Isn't that totally off topic? What has the nationality of the chef to do with the quality of the cooking?

Last year i spent 40$ for a 'lobster' in patong. Could of given me plastic dropped into garlic sauce, i would not of seen the difference.

Ah yes, “plastic dropped into garlic sauce”….an absolute must for anybody missing the cuisine from their own country. I often chose this particularly tasty side dish when ordering my own favourite from the menu; “Guess which animal this steak is from”.

You don’t really mention the service, and this of course is an intrinsic part of the dining out experience on one’s holiday. I’m always disappointed if I haven’t had to wait at least ½ an hour before being acknowledged by the staff, should they even deign to shuffle to my table. Furthermore, if the waitress is not sporting a frown that might suggest that she hasn’t had a good pooh for at least a week, plus the indolent attitude of a 3 year old child, are factors which will determine the size of the tip. In addition, should I receive the dish I actually ordered, I express my displeasure at such impertinence by insisting that Egon Ronay take at least 1 Star away from the Restaurant’s rating.

In summary, I would strongly suggest you ignore any of the resident expat inmates’ assertions that such occurrences are the result of “misunderstandings”. This wholly incorrect, and I can personally assure you that all abuse, slack service, etc, are intentional and should be enjoyed and laughed-off as part of the ‘holiday experience’.

Me? I can’t wait to return as the chef has promised to give me his secret recipe for his signature dish: Malaria Soup au Cruton du Hot Patong Gravel….aye, I’m licking me lips already….heh, heh...