Fresh Water Kayaking Between Pran Buri & B Nakom

Altos

Hi All - I see from Google maps that there appears to be a largish lake between these two above places.

Can anyone tell me if recreational kayaking is allowed there or is it protected water. I was a marathon paddler and would love to paddle what is presumably flat water. I did do white water and sea kayaking, white water is now out since I am 70 and it is a bit unclear whether the Gulf is suitable. I have heard reports of polluted water from cleaning of fishing catches. Doesn't appeal much. Flat water TK1's are only about 12 - 14 kg and very easy to cart about and lift on top of cars. Sea kayaks may be up to 25 kgs, are much longer and really a two man job to put on and off a car.

Can any one advise if I can get up there and paddle the full length of the lake ?

Thanks,

Altos

I've been out to the Pranburi reservoir by car and also flown above it in a small plane many times. It is a stunningly beautiful area. When the wind is calm it would be flat. However, I've been there on a windy day and the waves on the lake rivalled those in the Gulf on a stormy day.

I've been out to the Pranburi reservoir by car and also flown above it in a small plane many times. It is a stunningly beautiful area. When the wind is calm it would be flat. However, I've been there on a windy day and the waves on the lake rivalled those in the Gulf on a stormy day.

Hi there - Thanks for responding. Is one allowed to paddle in the lake. Some places will not allow recreational boating of any sort in a reservoir, other places don't worry. Yes, I have had some difficulties in a racing kayak with rough water as they normally are not fitted out for Eskimo rolling but I guess if it really was rough a white water spray deck would fix that and I plan on a touring TK1 so it is easier.

Cheers,

Altos

• 2 weeks later...
There is a boat ramp and I asked a park officer if I could bring my speedboat up to the lake and he said sure. So I'm sure they wouldn't mind a kayak.

Oh Great - That'll give me some exercise. Any crocodiles up there. We have had three shark attacks in as many weeks in AU and these big munchies are a worry. :-(