Tcl 32" Lcd-tv At Bigc For 9.790b

SkyRunner09

Hello everyone,

I was actually looking for a good ole 29" tube for sth like 6.000B today in BigC, when I saw, that they are offering this machine for "just a few bahts more":

[not allowed to post URLs] Ask Google for "LCD32E9AD"

From all that I could tell regarding the specifications, there is no big difference, compared to the TVs of bigger brands. The test picture in the store sucked a bit though, but probably they once again put some crappy low-res input into a high-def screen as they usually do (even worse than putting a Sony promo DVD on a LG screen) :o

Question: Anyone bought that piece already and can give a quick review?

Thanks

Sky

Hello everyone,

I was actually looking for a good ole 29" tube for sth like 6.000B today in BigC, when I saw, that they are offering this machine for "just a few bahts more":

From all that I could tell regarding the specifications, there is no big difference, compared to the TVs of bigger brands. The test picture in the store sucked a bit though, but probably they once again put some crappy low-res input into a high-def screen as they usually do (even worse than putting a Sony promo DVD on a LG screen) :o

Thanks

Sky

These TCL TVs have been on the market for some time now and consistently undercut the Japanese equivalents. My guess is that they are an inferior product, perhaps made in China. They do seem to represent value but if push came to shove i'd still feel happier going for a brand with a bit more history for a bit more money. I saw today in PowerBuy a 32inch LG for 15k. The prices continue to fall month to month so it won't be long before an average 32incher goes for around the 11, 12k price range.

Anyway, hope some people who have actually bought a TCL reply and give their opinion.

That is the latest model. I bought the previous model at Tesco-Lotus about 6 months ago for Bt. 9900.

When I saw this latest model on sale last week. I had a quick look to see what differences there might be. There did not appear to be any major changes other than a re-design.

The main thing I was looking for was to see if there was more than 1 HDMI port, as is the case with mine. There is still only 1 on the new model.

The TCL brand is the largest television manufacturer in the world. These sets are produced in a new factory in Thailand.

I'm happy with the picture from good-quality video but have never hooked up the laptop to watch HDTV. I would have to buy the HDMI cable to do that.

Still a significantly lower price than the Japanese and Korean competition.

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Sky

Like bobbin I also bought one for the bedroom from Tescos last year and have been happy with it. I also have an LG lcd set which was twice the price and there's not a lot of difference in the picture quality. Biggest problem I found was that when you auto tune you can't switch the channels around onto the channel numbers you want them on, they have to remain in their original position, and if you've got cable or satelite manually tuning sixty plus channels would take forever, but I can live with that.

The TCL brand is the largest television manufacturer in the world.

I'm stunned - they've only been around 5 minutes. Where do you get your figures?

Yes but not for much longer i would guess. Last year they were around 100 % cheaper, and now they are about 50% (depending obviously on the model you are looking at). Unless TCL can find a way to cut production costs even further they might start to struggle because if there's only a few thousand baht in it, i don't think anyone would choose TCL over Sony or Panasonic.

The TCL brand is the largest television manufacturer in the world.

I'm stunned - they've only been around 5 minutes. Where do you get your figures?

Google is your friend. Easier to check first before questioning me. Do you think I didn't check? :o

Yes but not for much longer i would guess. Last year they were around 100 % cheaper, and now they are about 50% (depending obviously on the model you are looking at). Unless TCL can find a way to cut production costs even further they might start to struggle because if there's only a few thousand baht in it, i don't think anyone would choose TCL over Sony or Panasonic.

If you want an lcd tv now, not 6-12 months from now, you will!!

Google is your friend. Easier to check first before questioning me. Do you think I didn't check? :o

No actually it is easier to question you than spend my precious time googling. :D But spend my precious time i did and after a few minutes of delving i came up with nothing - hence why i questioned you.

I'm not saying i don't believe you - just that i find it highly unlikely. Sounds to me like one of those intentionally misleading marketing slogans.

To say that TCL is the biggest TV producer in the world just makes no sense at all, if we are talking about TVs badged as TCL. But perhaps that's the trick to the statement - perhaps TCL is a manufactorer that produces TVs which are then badged as something else. Now that i could believe.

Anyway Bobbin, you obviously have all the facts and figures at your fingertips concerning TCL, so stop being a tease and give us what you've got!

No actually it is easier to question you than spend my precious time googling. :D But spend my precious time i did and after a few minutes of delving i came up with nothing - hence why i questioned you.

I'm not saying i don't believe you - just that i find it highly unlikely. Sounds to me like one of those intentionally misleading marketing slogans.

To say that TCL is the biggest TV producer in the world just makes no sense at all, if we are talking about TVs badged as TCL. But perhaps that's the trick to the statement - perhaps TCL is a manufactorer that produces TVs which are then badged as something else. Now that i could believe.

Anyway Bobbin, you obviously have all the facts and figures at your fingertips concerning TCL, so stop being a tease and give us what you've got!

They are the largest television manufacturer in China thus the largest in the world.

I didn't really have any problem coming up with the info. Lots of news links, so google TCL under the news category.

Their factory was opened in Thailand somewhere near Samut Prakhan I think. My TV was made in Thailand in June 2008.

We bought one in Lotus a couple of weeks ago, 9750 baht. We use it in the bedroom and it's hooked up to cable and a DVD player. The picture is good, and we've had no problems with it at all. I'd recommend it. It might not have all the bell's and whistles that more expensive TV's have, but it does the job

...................................... Biggest problem I found was that when you auto tune you can't switch the channels around onto the channel numbers you want them on, they have to remain in their original position, and if you've got cable or satelite manually tuning sixty plus channels would take forever, but I can live with that.

If you have satellite, surely you would tune the set top box, not the Tv?

I wish I'd seen them when they were 100% cheaper - that would mean free! :o

They are the largest television manufacturer in China thus the largest in the world.

I didn't really have any problem coming up with the info. Lots of news links, so google TCL under the news category.

Their factory was opened in Thailand somewhere near Samut Prakhan I think. My TV was made in Thailand in June 2008.

One quick Google seach and we have an answer.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200407/3...730_151340.html

...................................... Biggest problem I found was that when you auto tune you can't switch the channels around onto the channel numbers you want them on, they have to remain in their original position, and if you've got cable or satelite manually tuning sixty plus channels would take forever, but I can live with that.

If you have satellite, surely you would tune the set top box, not the Tv?

Yes i thought exactly the same thing.

I wish I'd seen them when they were 100% cheaper - that would mean free! :o

Oops! Sorry! I should have said of course that the Japanese TVs were 100% more expensive.

I have done business with TCL and Konka in China. Most of their production is for other well known Western brand names.

Ok. So then as i thought. To say that TCL is the biggest TV producer in the world might technically be true, but for me it's a little misleading.

From TCLs website: (URL OK as not selling, as per forum rules)

http://www.tcl.com/main_en/About%20TCL/Com...catalogId=13046

About TCL

Established in 1981, TCL Corporation is a global leader and technology innovator in consumer electronics, mobile communications and home appliances. TCL employs more than 50,000 people in over 80 operations, including 18 R&D centers, 20 manufacturing bases, and more than 40 sales offices around the world.

With 2007 global sales of USD 5.8 billion, and serving more than 100 million consumers worldwide, TCL Corporation is comprised of four business units -- Multimedia, Communications, Home Appliances and Techne Electronics. It also has two affiliated business networks: Real Estate & Investment and Logistics & Services. TCL is one of the world’s leading producers of flat panel TVs, DVD players, air conditioners, and GSM, CDMA mobile phones. In 2004, TCL merged with some of the world’s most admired and recognized brands and businesses, including the Thomson television business and Alcatel mobile phones.

EDIT: Add map of TCL plants:

post-34728-1237268364_thumb.jpg

Edited by grahamhc

When buying LCD TV something the you have to take into account is the distance that you sit from the screen and the size of the screen a low resolution screen you will have to sit further away from the TV to not see the the screen braking up but you then lose the detail. There are so many things that can affect your viewing what suits one persons viewing will be bad for another persons viewing (ie. do you intend to sit straight in front of the TV are at an angle) I also think that to a certain degree you get what you pay for in the lower price range but you pay over the top for the improvement in the higher price range if that make any sense one last thing a good quality screen can make a bad reception bearable where a bad quality screen may be unwatchable

Edited by offset

In 2004, TCL merged with some of the world's most admired and recognized brands and businesses, including the Thomson television business and Alcatel mobile phones.

Admired brands??? I do indeed recall seeing both Thomson and Alcatel products on the shelves several years ago and thinking what cheap tacky crap they looked to be. Perhaps they were admired in the business sense - selling cheap crap for good profit?

Anyone use one of these for your computer monitor? Do they hook right up to your box with the standard monitor pin?

I bought a previous model around 8 months ago, and it works fine till now. It is connected to the VGA output of my multimedia PC, so in one way I use it as a monitor. It's ok for watching movies and my slingbox, but I would not recommend it as a replacement for a normal monitor on a computer you use for business. As the TV is a 720p one, the resolution is limited to 1024x768 pixels, which is on the low side for graphic applications. It also produces a lot of heat, which makes working on it very uncomfortable.

In 2004, TCL merged with some of the world's most admired and recognized brands and businesses, including the Thomson television business and Alcatel mobile phones.

Admired brands??? I do indeed recall seeing both Thomson and Alcatel products on the shelves several years ago and thinking what cheap tacky crap they looked to be. Perhaps they were admired in the business sense - selling cheap crap for good profit?

I remember when thay said that about AMSTRAD. Got their act together and now (or when I was in the UK) a major supplier to SKY for their set top boxes.

The question is what is Thomson and Alcatel products quality like now?

The current model for sale at Tesco is TCL L32M71A3. The model sold at Big C is L32M61A3 according to there web site. The Tesco price is currently 10990. I just bought one a couple of hours ago and looks good to me - currently using UBC analog signal and it provides switch from Thai to English OK. Has the normal multi display functions so you don't have to make everyone fat to fit the 16.9 format (zoom top/bottom off screen to fit).

People go way over the top re TV's with Bells and Whistles etc.

Where we live in Uk the main factory for Bush is a mile away who build for Toshiba and Sharp from same factory.

The Bush 32' LCD HD is 270 sterling.

The identical TV with sharp on the front is 430 sterling with Toshiba 370 in the shops.

My Bush is 310 pound cheaper than my fathers same size Hitachi and without doubt my picture is better from all angles.

• 4 weeks later...

I check Powerbuy web. For 42in, price range from 17,994 to 99,990 Baht

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPag...de=PWB000156403

PASMA TV 42in LG 42PG20R

Price 17,994.-

Resolution 1024 X 768P (WXGA)

FLUID MOTION 150HZ EFFECT

CONTRAST RATIO 25,000:1

BRIGHTNESS 1500CD/M2

RESPONSE TIME .001 MS

IN/OUT COMPONENT 2/RGB PC

HDMI INPUT V1.3 3 channel

NEW DUAL XD ENGINE

PIP/PAP 1 TUNER

SIZE PLASMA 42"

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPag...de=PWB000160842

LCD 42in PHILIPS 42PFL9703

Price 99,990.-

FULL HIGH DIFINITION READY

1,920 X 1,080 PIXELS

CONTRAST RATIO 33,000:1

BRIGHTNESS 500 CD/M2

RESPONSE TIME 2 MS

INPUT AVX3,S-VDOX1,HDMIX4,COMPONENTX3,RGBX1

OUTPUT AVX2

1157.0 X 752.0 X 117.0

100HZ

Edited by samgrowth

Sorry but there is a BIG difference in quality between brands, yes an lcd screen is an lcd screen what you are paying more for in the 1st and 2nd tier brands are the electronics inside as in filters and tuners thats why their costs are so much more for sony, panasonic etc. HD is really where you see the difference though. i looked at them at big c awhile back and they had it in front of a samsung running the same hd content test loop running on both at the same time and you could see a big difference in color and resolution, But all the same for 10k it is a good buy and will prob get one for the bedroom. if you really want to see the difference run a vid of a fire and watch the edges of the fire.