Diving School

flightcrew1

Calypso Divers has a professional staff and a daytrip boat considered to be the most comfortable in Phuket, (so you won't get farmed out, like at many shops that are simply booking agents) As well they have their own aircon classrooms.

www.calypsophuket.com

I also recommend Seafun Divers:

www.seafundivers.com

SB

a daytrip boat considered to be the most comfortable in Phuket,
I like their boat, but it is far from the most comfortable daytrip boat.

Also, they don't do daytrips anymore, only overnight trips to Phi Phi twice a week.

Without a doubt, Sunrise Diving. www.sunrisediving.net. Their equipment is top notch and the staff is tops. They are located in Patong near Bangla Road on the Thaweewong (2nd road). English owned/operated. Office number is 076292052. They have earned the National Geographic distinction. I keep their card under the glass on my desk. The trip to the Similan Islands is wonderful.

Forgot to mention that they have a special on their website with 25% off now. They taught me to dive. My friend who is a rescue diver said their equipment is some of the best he has seen. I was scared of a fly by night outfit and he dives in Thailand 3 times a year. And no, I don't own any interest in them. I don't post much, but when I find something good, I am happy to pass it along.

Thanks for the great replies. Have been in touch with sunrise and an outfit called Playboy and both have been quite helpful.

Playboy is literally for homosexual men and they are an agent. Sunrise are ok for a day trip but they will also just farm you out if you want any over night trip (which is by far the best option, Similans).

Thanks for the great replies. Have been in touch with sunrise and an outfit called Playboy and both have been quite helpful.

Playboy is literally for homosexual men and they are an agent. Sunrise are ok for a day trip but they will also just farm you out if you want any over night trip (which is by far the best option, Similans).

Well we are gay, but did not realize they (playboy) are an agent, so does that mean they just find a diving outfit for us? As far as sunrise goes, we were were looking at the 2 day discover scuba experience as we really don't want 3 days, though we would love to get the Padi license. We plan on going out in the evenings, so committing 3 nights to no drinking during our holiday will be hard and we also want to do the Sea Canoe trip. It's not our first trip to Phuket, but want to utilize our time.

Well we are gay, but did not realize they (playboy) are an agent, so does that mean they just find a diving outfit for us? As far as sunrise goes, we were were looking at the 2 day discover scuba experience as we really don't want 3 days, though we would love to get the Padi license. We plan on going out in the evenings, so committing 3 nights to no drinking during our holiday will be hard and we also want to do the Sea Canoe trip. It's not our first trip to Phuket, but want to utilize our time.

1) There is not a single thing wrong with dive schools/agencies that don't have their own boats. They do not typically 'farm' students out to other schools but instead send their own instructors on the boat to take care of their customers.

2) When dealing with certified divers on fun dives, agents more often than not have a whole lot more flexibility in getting the right dive for the customer than does an operator that runs its own boat since that operator has just one product to offer and must follow the set schedule for their boat while agents have a multitude of boats to select from. For overnight trips, agents can find the right boat to suit the customer's needs in terms of date, creature comforts, and itineraries.

3) Any instructor can do a discover scuba--instructors who work for boat operators are no more qualified than those who work for dive schools with no boat.

4) There is nothing wrong with Playboy. Nathan is an experienced instructor who usually takes care of his students himself. The staff down at Sunrise are also nice folks. You'll have a great time.

Edited by mfiskong

Well we are gay, but did not realize they (playboy) are an agent, so does that mean they just find a diving outfit for us?
You will dive with one of their instructors, on a boat where you will find people from different diveschools.

Calypso Divers has a professional staff and a daytrip boat considered to be the most comfortable in Phuket, (so you won't get farmed out, like at many shops that are simply booking agents) As well they have their own aircon classrooms.

SB

The Calyspo trip is a good one, and unique. But it's not true that shops that don't have their own boat are 'simply' booking agents. Usually these shops are fully credentialled dive schools with classrooms, instructors, and other services. Booking spots for their customers on boats is just one function of these dive schools/agencies.

1) There is not a single thing wrong with dive schools/agencies that don't have their own boats. They do not typically 'farm' students out to other schools but instead send their own instructors on the boat to take care of their customers.

2) When dealing with certified divers on fun dives, agents more often than not have a whole lot more flexibility in getting the right dive for the customer than does an operator that runs its own boat since that operator has just one product to offer and must follow the set schedule for their boat while agents have a multitude of boats to select from. For overnight trips, agents can find the right boat to suit the customer's needs in terms of date, creature comforts, and itineraries.

3) Any instructor can do a discover scuba--instructors who work for boat operators are no more qualified than those who work for dive schools with no boat.

4) There is nothing wrong with Playboy. Nathan is an experienced instructor who usually takes care of his students himself. The staff down at Sunrise are also nice folks. You'll have a great time.

Thanks...excellent reply! Nathan has been great with his emails! I feel much better now!!!

There is nothing wrong with Playboy.
His reaction to the sinking of the Dive Asia boat was ridiculous though.

I don't know anything about that (Nathan's reaction, I mean to say).

you could also try contacting our members, 'chantal' or 'stevenl' who will be more than happy to give you more info regarding diving.....

... or me, or others who are also present here.

I've dived with a few different companies. If you don't mind spending some money go and spend a few days out on the Similan Islands. I done my Advanced Open Water with South Siam Divers, they were really good. Real nice boat and a good variety of people, girls & guys.

I will be in Patong from the 1st til the 16th I may be going out with them again. If not i'll be trying Sunrise.