Bkk-ny With Stopover -i Can't Sleep On Planes!

Sheryl

Well having struck out with numerous travel agents, thought I'd try here.

I have to go (r/t) to NYC this summer. My problem is that I absolutely cannot sleep on planes (and yes, I've tried everything short of general anesthesia!). This plus the fact that I don't tolerate sleep deprivation very well makes this something of an ordeal. So I am trying to find a routing with a layover of at least 10 hours total so that I can get some sleep near the airport approximately mid-way, e.g. in Tokyo, Beijing, Europe or UK. (I say at least 10 hours so that, taking into account immigration, check in etc i can still net around 6-7 hrs sleep)

Tried many travle agents, no matter how clearly I explain the above they don't seem able to work with it and just churn out the cheapest Bkk-NY airfare which is of course always torturous in terms of hours of flying time. I have gathered that a stopover costs significantly more unless one can work out an itinierary wherein it is unavoidable.

Any suggestions??? As all I will do is sleep and there are usually hotels at or near any airport I don't c are where the layover is.

I have to go (r/t) to NYC this summer. My problem is that I absolutely cannot sleep on planes (and yes, I've tried everything short of general anesthesia!). This plus the fact that I don't tolerate sleep deprivation very well makes this something of an ordeal. So I am trying to find a routing with a layover of at least 10 hours total so that I can get some sleep near the airport approximately mid-way, e.g. in Tokyo, Beijing, Europe or UK. (I say at least 10 hours so that, taking into account immigration, check in etc i can still net around 6-7 hrs sleep)

Any suggestions??? As all I will do is sleep and there are usually hotels at or near any airport I don't c are where the layover is.

Why not fly Northwest and stay overnight in Tokyo/Narita?

I don't know who you prefer to fly with Sheryl (think frequent flyer miles!) but I always go United since they are the most convenient to where I go. But, I have had nothing but excellent service from their reps in booking and they respond quickly to emails. So, you might try contacting the airline directly and see how it goes.

Tried many travle agents, no matter how clearly I explain the above they don't seem able to work with it and just churn out the cheapest Bkk-NY airfare which is of course always torturous in terms of hours of flying time. I have gathered that a stopover costs significantly more unless one can work out an itinierary wherein it is unavoidable.

Sheryl

Watch your checked baggage allowance!

You might get stuck by the airline departing BKK to another foreign destination, such as Tokyo (6 hrs) for just 22 kg (44 pounds) total checked baggage. From ANY foreign destination on to the U.S. you're back to two bags at 50 pounds each.

And, coming back from the U.S., on departure you might have your two bags at 50 pounds each up to your layover point, no problem with this, so far. However when you go back to the foreign airport for the flight down to BKK, you're on the non-U.S. travel rules, back to 22 kg, 44 lbs, total checked baggage.

Think I've got that right....

Mac

Sheryl

Watch your checked baggage allowance!

You might get stuck by the airline departing BKK to another foreign destination, such as Tokyo (6 hrs) for just 22 kg (44 pounds) total checked baggage. From ANY foreign destination on to the U.S. you're back to two bags at 50 pounds each.

And, coming back from the U.S., on departure you might have your two bags at 50 pounds each up to your layover point, no problem with this, so far. However when you go back to the foreign airport for the flight down to BKK, you're on the non-U.S. travel rules, back to 22 kg, 44 lbs, total checked baggage.

Think I've got that right....

Mac

Sheryl

Ah, how about a layover at Anchorage? Gonna cost you more, but .....

China Airlines has a flight to Anchorage with one plane change in route.

That'd resolve the checked baggage weight problem, if it's a problem for you.

Me? I tend to sort of fill up my two bags coming back to the LoS, K-Mart, Harbor Freight, etc, seems like there's a lot of stuff available in the U.S. that just isn't available here.

Mac

United used to do a 12 hour layover at Tokyo/Narita......Flying Boston/Bkk.

The Airport has a "Day Room" which rents tiny rooms by the hour for napping......very comfy clean and quiet. The room has a bathroom/shower as well.

I think it was 7 dollars an hour last time I went.

You should reserve a room if you'd like one.....they sell out quickly.

I don't know who you prefer to fly with Sheryl (think frequent flyer miles!) but I always go United since they are the most convenient to where I go. But, I have had nothing but excellent service from their reps in booking and they respond quickly to emails. So, you might try contacting the airline directly and see how it goes.

I agree with the choice of United for this route. Another thing to consider is that with United (or Northwest), you would enter the US through Chicago (or Detroit) and would have to clear customs there before catching the domestic hop to JFK. I think the only way to get direct to JFK on United is to book a codeshare flight, flying United to Narita and ANA direct to JFK. You might want to try booking directly with ANA. Narita also has several reasonably priced hotels just outside the airport perimeter if you want an overnight stay with full facilities.

I did a quick search on kayak dot com and the best trade-off of price versus lengthy layovers is via the Middle East. Specifically, for a random trip departing mid-June and returning mid-July, Kuwait Airlines prices in at just over $1k USD. Only a 2hr50m layover outbound but a 7hr25m layover inbound. Ethihad is about $300 USD more, but also has longer layovers, although I don't think Abu Dahbi would be a very pleasant place to be for more than an hour or two.

Can't recommend a specific route, but one of the trade-offs for sites like Expedia.com is they tend to book flights with a long stop over, but the fare is cheaper. Normally that's not a benefit, but it's what you're looking for.

Anyway, you could use that to find specific sets of flights then take that flight info to a local agent to book. The first set I tried for example was on Etihad Airways. The outgoing had a 10 hour long stopover in Abu Dhabi. Return unfortunately only 2 hours. United shows 9 1/2 hours on the way out, stopover in Tokyo and also Los Angeles. 3 hours on the way back.

Travelocity.com also has slightly different airlines. But they will not do a round trip originating outside the US so you have to trick it, putting the 2 legs as parts of different itineraries starting in NY.

Thanks all. I rules out the desert stopover option after seeing how long the second leg flight would be.

Pretty much settled on Asiana via Soeul, can get a 13 hour stopover both ways at no additional cost.

Finally found a travel agent able to understand the request (Mox Travel) a first!!

Would have preferred a Tokyo break as it is an hour less flying time from there to NY than from Soeul but the cost difference was almost double so for one more hour of flying it's worth it. Just hope Asiana doesn't have those microscopic seats that some Asian carriers do...!

Would have preferred a Tokyo break as it is an hour less flying time from there to NY than from Soeul but the cost difference was almost double so for one more hour of flying it's worth it. Just hope Asiana doesn't have those microscopic seats that some Asian carriers do...!

You would want 2 day flights. Morning BKK-NRT and next morning NRT-JFK on ANA.

ANA - world's top notch airline, you would not regret giving them your business. Hotels at the airport could have deals but they are mostly Sheratons, Marriotts, Hilton and similar, expensive even wth a deal.

Narita village has budget hotels (Qantas crew stays there too) with rack price of 140$, free minivan (30 mins) shuttle to/from NRT.

You would want 2 day flights. Morning BKK-NRT and next morning NRT-JFK on ANA.

ANA - world's top notch airline, you would not regret giving them your business. Hotels at the airport could have deals but they are mostly Sheratons, Marriotts, Hilton and similar, expensive even wth a deal.

Narita village has budget hotels (Qantas crew stays there too) with rack price of 140$, free minivan (30 mins) shuttle to/from NRT.

Thanks, I am considering them, especially as they have a premium economy class. Problems are that their current fares go only through March 31 and no one seems to know what it will be after that, and also that according tio the travel agents I have talked with so for I would have to pay almost double just to overnight in Tokyo, altho I will contin ue to pursue this last point as it doesn't seem right...

Problems are that their current fares go only through March 31 and no one seems to know what it will be after that, and also that according tio the travel agents I have talked with so for I would have to pay almost double just to overnight in Tokyo, altho I will contin ue to pursue this last point as it doesn't seem right...

The prices are there, I just went to ana.co.jp site.

What you are saying is that discounted prices (and seats) have not been released to agencies. Quite normal these days. You can wait until 1 month before and then all discounters will be flooded with unsold seats.

For example, from Japan to BKK there were no flights with agencies at all back in January for travel in March. I bought from Thai Airways site directly as the trip was inflexible and the event has to be attended next week.

The price was 89,000Y (about 800$).

Mid February, somebody going those same dates could chose between several airlines at discounters' sites and the price is 40% lower.

"Book early" seems to be an idiotic advice here.

Edited by think_too_mut

Ok well at this point I have narriowed it down to either:

Asiana via Soeul

or

Lufthanasa via Franfurt

Both of these will allo at no extra cost a daytime layover of 10 hours+ which is idela as I can get a dayroom in or near the airport.

The Frankfurt routing is better in terms of flying time: About 9 hours, break and then about 10 hours. The Soeul routing is about 7 hours, break and then 13 hours. However it will cost considerably more to go via Frankfurt.

Would be useful if anyone could give some feedback on level of comfort in economy class on Asiana, specifically leg room, seat recline, as I need to figure out if 13 straight hours of that is something I want to go through. I've flown Asiana before but it was eons ago so don't rememb er. I have had some truly awful flights on some Asian airlines whereby the seats were so crammed togther that passengers literally had to use both hands to jam their legs in.... :o

Comments on Lufthansa also welcome, I am assuming a German airline would have reasonable leg room?

bump

I'm getting ready to book this ticket but before I do I'll try one more time: has anyone flown economy class on Asiana or Lufthansa who can give feedback on seat size/leg room???

I flew Asiana one time only (recently), Hong Kong to Seoul and Seoul to Chicago. The coach seating was comfortable. The only thing unusual was their 747's are a hybrid half passenger and half cargo. It's a little wierd seeing that big old plane and the seats only going back halfway. My long haul flight was quite crowded and I started getting a little claustrophobic about halfway into the flight. Other than that, no fuss, no muss. Good service and the price was right.

Some people are giving rave reviews to Seoul airport, but for me it was an airport like any other.

I haven't flown Lufthansa in quite a while, but their service was always good. Frankfurt is a nice modern airport and with a long layover there is also time to take the ICE rapid train into the central Hofbanhaus and see the city center.

It's been a bit over two years since I flew it, but Frankfurt has to be one of the crappiest airports I have been in, also among the most unfriendly and uncomfortable. It would be my last choice.

That said have a great trip however you go.

Thanks -- makes me all the happier with my choice which is Asiana via Soeul.

Actaully I did transit thru Frankfurt once more than 10 years ago but all I remember is the bed in the airport hotel....when I say I cannot sleep on planes I am speaking very literally!