What Are Some Good Novels Which Are Based In Thailand?

dudeyone

I just finished Fieldwork today and I loved it and as you say it is fair in the way it depicts both the missionaries and the anthropologist, and it is just a good story, in my opinion. I love Jake Needham's books and also Christopher Moore's. The Falcon of Siam is a very good historical novel written by a guy named Aylward I believe. I also loved an older novel called The Queen's Messenger, but I cannot remember the author, and I also liked The Hunted which is set in Chiang Mai area. However, I must say that Thai Girl is one of the worst novels I have ever read, about any subject. But I am no literary critic.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, I must say that Thai Girl is one of the worst novels I have ever read, about any subject. But I am no literary critic.

Most texts of the "quality" of Thai Girl are never published or self printed. I suppose it might be a good read for those seeking an example of very bad writing. BTW, I don't know the history of Thai Girl but there is a germ of a story there (maybe a short story). It didn't read like it was exposed to a good (or any) EDITOR.

Edited by Jingthing

, I must say that Thai Girl is one of the worst novels I have ever read, about any subject. But I am no literary critic.

Most texts of the "quality" of Thai Girl are never published or self printed. I suppose it might be a good read for those seeking an example of very bad writing. BTW, I don't know the history of Thai Girl but there is a germ of a story there (maybe a short story). It didn't read like it was exposed to a good (or any) EDITOR.

Thai Girl was, I believe, self published and self edited, by the author. Vanity press printings. It may have sold a few thousand copies on the basis of it's title alone. Most readers were disappointed.

Cult classic my foot.

Not a slur on you andrew, but you simply can not call Thai Girl a cult Classic.

I find it interesting that several years ago when anyone would recommend "Private Dancer" on TV every second post would say how terrible it is and how anyone who likes it is stupid. Now, most people seem to think that it is a pretty good book.

I was just thinking that. I couldn't put it down after I'd started - kept thinking someone had been following me around, making notes. :D :D :D

:o

Probably the best novel set in thailand is "The Falcon of Siam" - I forget the authors name.

Has that anything to do with the fact that the falcon was a Greek and you are a Greekfreaklover?

I read the book but it was a struggle to finish, I think the last chapter I did not read. I found it too academic, like the historybooks I had to study in my schooldays and which are one of the reasons many people have develloped a livelong aversion against schools and sometimes against reading books at all. Too many numbers you have too learn, when lived king such and so, when was the war between X and Y etc., without giving any insight in the how and why and the live of ordinary people. Especially Thai historybooks are often no more then the lifes of the kings and the wars they fought.

Back to the topic: I also liked the books of John Burdett.

Probably the best novel set in thailand is "The Falcon of Siam" - I forget the authors name.

Has that anything to do with the fact that the falcon was a Greek and you are a Greekfreaklover?

Sorry, I did not read your name right, I did not know the English word "geek". But now I know.

Anyhow I did not like the falconbook very much.

I read the book but it was a struggle to finish, I think the last chapter I did not read. I found it too academic, like the historybooks I had to study in my schooldays and which are one of the reasons many people have develloped a livelong aversion against schools and sometimes against reading books at all. Too many numbers you have too learn, when lived king such and so, when was the war between X and Y etc., without giving any insight in the how and why and the live of ordinary people. Especially Thai historybooks are often no more then the lifes of the kings and the wars they fought.

Back to the topic: I also liked the books of John Burdett.

The Falcon of siam is a histoical adventure epic set in Thailand and based partly on fact. The research is excellent. The translitaration from noble Thai (Royal) speach to English is so impressive. The authors understanding of the country is above any other non-Thai author that has written as Thailand the theme. By far the best novel set in Thailand. And I've read them all.

Most english speaking teenagers could read it quite easily and enjoy it. It's nothing like a text book.

And yeah - it's Geek not Greek. :o

I'm a Geek not a Greek.

"Platform" from a French writer who I forget the name of, is a great book partially set in Thailand.

Michel Houellebecq.

Thanks - That will be the man. I think he was a best seller with Atomised? - Anyhoo, Platform is excellent if you like semi-erotic novels written with outstanding prose in a Thai setting.

Stacks for you to read:

By authors

Christopher g. Moore- the "smiles" triology,God of Darkness,the"Vincent Calvino" series.

Jon Burdett-Bangkok 8,Bangkok Tattoo,Bangkok Haunts.

Dean Barrett-Skytrain to murder

Jim Newport-Vampire of Siam triology

And I suppose,for eye-opening purposes,you should read "Private Dancer" and "Sleepless in Bangkok"

Lately I prefer the more sedate,but well written,Laos based novels by Colin Cotterill(33 teeth,etc.)

What's all this talk about trashy novels about whores should be "mandatory reading"? That's like saying the Daily Sport should be mandatory reading for anyone visiting the UK. Get yourselves out of the gutter of society and live a little.

Seriously. Isn't there any good literature to recommend? It doesn't even have to be written by an expat farang!

Something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Reigns

Seriously. Isn't there any good literature to recommend?

Burdett's books are good literature. Burdett is read outside the expat niche while most of the other authors mentioned here are niche market authors. Nothing wrong with specialized genres of course.

Edited by Jingthing

"Platform" from a French writer who I forget the name of, is a great book partially set in Thailand.

"Platform" by Michel Houllebecq

Nihilistic reading at its best...

Premonitory story, as it was written before 9/11!

Love him or hate him, there is no way in between.

Unfortunately there are a lot of translation errors with the english version.

A little bit off topic but "L'extension du domaine de la lutte" is for me his best one.

Otherwise, another french writer, Frederic Beigbeider wrote an interesting chapter in "Memoire sous ecstasy" about Phuket; but I doubt that has been translated.

The Prostitute (ISBN 967-65-3079-4), written by female author K. Surangkhanang 1937, is a sympathetic portrayal of a bar girl, which shocked Thai society with its publication.

Sounds interesting; anyone read it?

Are there any good novels which are based in Thailand?

A Nail Through the Heart by Timothy Hallinan is a decent Bangkok PI-type novel which doesn't suffer from awful, cliched prose, provides insight into the heights and depths of the Thai social hierarchy (and how some make it to the top by means fair or foul), isn't merely a wallow through the bars, provides insight into the dynamics of a relationship between a farang and an ex-bargirl working to remain an ex-bargirl while building a decent life for herself, and also provides insight into the nuances of familial loyalty and perceived value of relationships of said ex-bargirl.

Hallinan isn't on the same literary plane as John Burdett, and this novel isn't literary fiction like Berlinski, but it's a surprisingly decent read - not smutty or trashy at all. I'm looking forward to purchasing the author's second book, The Fourth Watcher, when the Amazon Kindle edition drops from $14.99 to $9.99 or somesuch ($14.99 is just too much to pay for an e-book, considering that the cost of distribution is practically nil).

Edited by disambiguated

Hi all,

Try out Dean Barrett´s books from Thailand.

www.deanbarrettthailand.com

Superb reading!!

Ii is not very literary, but I would call Memoirs of a Bangkok Warrior - about an American soldier stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war - a real Thailand classic. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

"Woman of Bangkok" (Reynolds) '50's shows that nothing changes.

Bits that stick, guy has paid bar and given few thousand baht to girl for joint trip. waiting for bus, she buys a 5 baht comb and asks him for the money, exasperated he say' "I just gave you x thousand baht!"

"That's MY money", she says.

He went to visit her in the back sois.."She lived in a cradle of noise"

His encounter with a policeman after a minor traffic accident, which did not really involve him.

................................................................................

"Killing Smile", Christopher Moore..The good old days..the original Thermae.

It's quite illuminating that in a country of 60 million people the predominant recollection of western visitors is whorehouses. Perhaps you guys ought to get out a bit more...

IMHO, we do get out more.

I read good things about Killing Plato by Jack Needham. Anyone mention it yet? It's not about bargirls, either. Looks like a typical crime novel but at least it's not on the subject that many of the books are focused on here.

What's all this talk about trashy novels about whores should be "mandatory reading"? That's like saying the Daily Sport should be mandatory reading for anyone visiting the UK. Get yourselves out of the gutter of society and live a little.

Seriously. Isn't there any good literature to recommend? It doesn't even have to be written by an expat farang!

Something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Reigns

William Somerset-Maughams Far Eastern Tales

Joseph Conrad- The Secret Sharer & others

Graham Greene-Close enough!

Anything by Chris Moore should be at the top of anyones list....

Mickey Spillane sitting in a bar with Graham Greene swapping stories in Soi 33 after they got kicked out of the Thermae for brawling :o

Jake Needham? No I didn't get that either, bought 3 gave up on chapter 3 of the first one. Sorry Jake!