What Are Some Good Novels Which Are Based In Thailand?

dudeyone

Are there any good novels which are based in Thailand? I read Private Dancer some years back and thought it was a good book so I am looking for something along the lines of that; murder, prostitutes, nightlife, drugs, backstabbing, mia nois, giks, everything!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this author. He is way above average for Thai set novels which is remarkable because he has not spent that much time here. I have read them all and they are good novels in their own right.

John Burdett

Bangkok 8 and its sequels, Bangkok Tattoo and Bangkok Haunts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Burdett

Edited by Jingthing

Are there any good novels which are based in Thailand? I read Private Dancer some years back and thought it was a good book so I am looking for something along the lines of that; murder, prostitutes, nightlife, drugs, backstabbing, mia nois, giks, everything!

Just settle back and read the threads on TV, it's got all of those and more. And it's all true.

A couple of years ago we walked into a food shop on Pi Pi, pizza I think, and The Beach was playing on the tele. I thought " Beauty, it's nearly finished" Bugger me, they had on permanent loop play for the dread-heads. I wonder if it's still going.

There are many but, IMHO, that is by far and away the best.

Every other novel that I have read, about Thailand, could have been set in many other countries/cities (substitute Hong Kong for Bangkok and you will get my drift).

Private Dancer, however, could only have been set in Thailand.

Brilliant!

Should be mandatory reading for every ferang - First time visitor, or resident!

:o

"Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye" by Warren Olson. This book should be issued to every farang considering coming to Thailand. For all those that are here, and haven't read it, then do so.

awesome read. brings a smile to the face.

A child of the Northeast - Kampoon Boontawee

Touch the Dragon - Karen Conolly

Mai Pen Rai means never mind - Carol Hollinger

Heart Talk - Christopher Moore

They don't many giks or murders in them but they do tell a story of the other Thailand.

Mai Pen Rai means never mind - Carol Hollinger

They don't many giks or murders in them but they do tell a story of the other Thailand.

Definitely no Giks and murders are short on the menu, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Moss

"Woman of Bangkok" (Reynolds) '50's shows that nothing changes.

Bits that stick, guy has paid bar and given few thousand baht to girl for joint trip. waiting for bus, she buys a 5 baht comb and asks him for the money, exasperated he say' "I just gave you x thousand baht!"

"That's MY money", she says.

He went to visit her in the back sois.."She lived in a cradle of noise"

His encounter with a policeman after a minor traffic accident, which did not really involve him.

................................................................................

"Killing Smile", Christopher Moore..The good old days..the original Thermae.

The chapter about the juke box and the hierarchy of girls.

The guy who went back to USA and was asked if he fancied a plump 30 something.

Was on the next plane back..based on true character.

................................................................................

and of course, Stephen Leather "Private Dancer"

as mentioned should be required reading.

Edited by desertrat

"Woman of Bangkok" (Reynolds) '50's shows that nothing changes.

Bits that stick, guy has paid bar and given few thousand baht to girl for joint trip. waiting for bus, she buys a 5 baht comb and asks him for the money, exasperated he say' "I just gave you x thousand baht!"

"That's MY money", she says.

He went to visit her in the back sois.."She lived in a cradle of noise"

His encounter with a policeman after a minor traffic accident, which did not really involve him.

"Killing Smile", Christopher Moore..The good old days..the original Thermae.

It's quite illuminating that in a country of 60 million people the predominant recollection of western visitors is whorehouses. Perhaps you guys ought to get out a bit more...

I rather like Pira Sudham's work and as Endure mentions 'Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind' is a good gentle read.

Oh and let's not forget 'The Beach' - a good read and by far and away the most commercially sucessful (and most read) book ever written about Thailand.

The next most commercially sucessful/ read book about Thailand is of course not allowed to be discussed - but again worth a read.

Edited by GuestHouse

Monsoon Country - Pira Sudham

GuestHouse and I posted almost at the same time. Yes, Sudham is one of the best Thai writers but as far as I know his novels haven't been translated into ... Thai

Edited by adjan jb

I rather like Pira Sudham's work and as Endure mentions 'Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind' is a good gentle read.

Pira Sudham's original stuff was good but the last book he wrote was a real disappointment. 'The Teachers of Mad Dog Swamp' by Khamman Khonkhai is worth a read.

"It's quite illuminating that in a country of 60 million people the predominant recollection of western visitors is whorehouses. Perhaps you guys ought to get out a bit more..."

The OP asked for information on this type of novel, if he had wanted recommendations on Philosophy, History, Politics and Astronomy I could offer some.

Perhaps some guys ought to read the OP a bit more.

Ok, desertrat, back in your box - it's not even lunchtime yet.

Even though you asked for "sex tourist getting sunburnt in Pattaya" novels, one of my favourite Bangkok novels is about a guy who spends his days trawling the streets looking for the best burger - they even opened an Internet forum dedicated to the book. Find it HERE