What Would You Most Like To Change About Thailand?

Marksamui

Corruption is not endemic in this country, it is epidemic. And needs to be tackled but to tackle it there needs to be a sea-change in attitudes from the grassroots level on up.

If corruption is accepted at the local level (and it is) then nobody blinks an eye at the massive corruption at the top levels of the elected government.

And to do that, education. Thailand proved its abilities with the condom campaign by Meechai, if only they could apply the same energy to demonisizing corruption.

Edited by thailandlover

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corruption.

It is the biggest impediment to progress of all aspects of this fabulous country.

Bollex....

People who whinge about corruption are only whinging cos they dont get their cut.... :o

Corruption is prevelant in every country in the world.... in some shape or form, only in Thailand and a few other countries its right in your face...

And that we help Thailand as a country develop how excatly?

I really hoped that people would be able to suggest things that could benefit the country and all the people in it (Thai and Expats) rather than just benefit themselves...

Easy.... move to Thailand, hand all your money over to your GF/wife or Mia noi after you have built the house in Issan and bought car and then..fall off a balcony, ensuring the insurance policy is up to date... :o

Corruption.

It is the biggest impediment to progress of all aspects of this fabulous country.

Bollex....

People who whinge about corruption are only whinging cos they dont get their cut.... :o

Corruption is prevelant in every country in the world.... in some shape or form, only in Thailand and a few other countries its right in your face...

Not another bloody space cadet on here?? You really think corruption is prevelent everywhere in the developed world???

hahahahah

Exactly what im saying space boy "new world are being corrupt in some shape or form" make your mind up spacey!!

Its not just thailand matey!

Edited by BygonKeaw

Corruption.

Bollex....

Corruption is indeed everywhere, but I fear you are grossly underestimating the level to which it exists in Thailand.

From the pot holed roads carrying overloaded trucks with underpaid agricultural produce, to the 5 star hotels built illegally directly on the beach, to the hills being burnt in Chiangmai, to my containers needing grease to get them out of Bangkok port, corruption touches you and me every day in this country. There is a price to pay for everything eventually.

When I am confronted with a day to day situation that has no rhyme or reason behind it, I salve my frustration at apparent stupidity by knowing there is a backhander behind it.

I am seriously torn between police and education.

I'd go with education because an educated populace would make the police get their act together.

Ya but education will be slow to show benefits, if the Thais completely replaced and overhauled the police force like South Korea did you would get instantaneous results.

Whoa there just a minute! :o

I've no direct experience with the police here (tend to avoid all contact wth police wherever I go) but have talked to some expats running businesses here. The Korean police are just as bad as the BiB and will always take the side of the Korean national in any dispute irrespective of the facts. Okay I don't know how well they operate generally but corruption in business here is as rife as I've seen anywhere. Also it is decidedly unnerving to have the riot squads out on the streets all day every day, paranoia rules here (and I'm not talking about fear of their northern brothers). But I suppose the traffic flows freely most of the time here.

But, yes improvements in education will take generations to feed through into tangible improvements in the country but that's no reason to shy away from them.

The big problem in Thailand is that improvements in any system be it government, police, education etc would require a wholesale clear out of the current encumbents running that particular system. Then you have to replace them and the feedstock is just as contaminated as those they are replacing because they've all come up through the same system.

Thus there is no magic fix save outsourcing the government :D but then the problem is what lot would you pick to form a caretaker administration?

Phil, corruption in South korea used to be totally out of control, they implemented a huge policy change where they "retired" any cop with X number of years on the job, and hiring in all new recruits with new training that made them a more reliable police force. If its still got elements of corruption it cant be anything like it used to be. And racism amongst the Korean police force isnt really an issue, getting them to properly police their own people was the main concern... its been my experience that Koreans are pretty racist so wouldnt expect them to act properly when involving foreigners.

I would say that in some ways the country is regressing. First off, dump this stupid law about not being able to buy a beer from between 2 and 5p.m. It's just ridiculous - I can't buy a bottle of beer in a supermarket but I can buy two boxes of 12! Duuurrhhh!

Secondly, go back to the 24 hour service in the night entertainment industry - life was so much more fun in those days. Some nationalities like the spanish don't even start thinking of hitting the town until late in the evening!

thirdly, dump the 90 day reporting crap. It's just a pain and exposes us all to one more extra dose of negative/rude immigration officials

Ya thanks buddy, those are truly important issues... nobody should impede your drinking and buying of women... please just go away.

And that we help Thailand as a country develop how excatly?

I really hoped that people would be able to suggest things that could benefit the country and all the people in it (Thai and Expats) rather than just benefit themselves...

Easy.... move to Thailand, hand all your money over to your GF/wife or Mia noi after you have built the house in Issan and bought car and then..fall off a balcony, ensuring the insurance policy is up to date... :o

Just noticed the spelling error in my post, should have put will instead of we....

And that will help Thailand as a country develop how excatly?

Question posed to the guy who suggested that he should be able to buy beer and girls 24/7 would be a help! :D

A good education for every child without having to spend a fortune

Pakhan Sankhom (social security) for every single Thai

Oh yes! Pakhan Sankhom too..

We paid very much on each month but when end up in hospital.. we get the low quality service and medicine.. (I'm talking about some hospital only)

It would be great to make it good or at least better for everyone.

Not another bloody space cadet on here?? You really think corruption is prevelent everywhere in the developed world???

hahahahah

Yes...and most likely its even more prevelant than in Thailand, a few instances spring to mind:

1. US State Governor "selling" Pres Obama's congress seat

2. British Goverment officals involved with an arms deal with the Saudi's

3. Cases of corruption in South Korea

4. Cash for knighthoods in the UK

etc etc

Many Farangs are against corruption, when they don't benefit from it.

Can't stand the thought of that Asian guy driving a Benz whilst they are on a Honda Wave maybe.

Don't hear too many complaints from Farangs when they get stopped for doing 170KPH in their Fortuners and paying 100 - 200 Baht to the Police and then proceeding with no more fuss.

Try that in the UK and lose your license, probably horrible insurance policy repercussions too.

For those who think corruption does not touch developed countries............ :o:D It's just more open here.

Google is your friend chaps.

Edited by Maigo6

hahahahah

Yes...and most likely its even more prevelant than in Thailand, a few instances spring to mind:

etc etc

All relevant, and people ended up doing time or having their reputations so badly ruined that they quit.

Of course there is corruption elsewhere, but when it is discovered what is the reaction of the law? Even worse, are the law enforcement organisations part of the problem in the above countries?

My missus worked for the highway police for a few years. They generated enough petrol receipts to have driven to the moon and back weekly and in return were told to which trucking companies to turn a blind eye. All small things, but very much part of the daily life of dodgy money in Thailand.

hahahahah

etc etc

U cut the rest of my post! i was taking the piss out of u. doh.

What an ******** statement that is. Then I just looked at the poster's name and realised it's an ******** that posted it. Typical Maigrane6 reply. Edited by coventry

Corruption and poverty are eating up the country.

Everyone is fighting for their own daily survival. So we need to bring widespread change in how people think and act.

So yes you basically say EDUCATION, That I do agree with.

Improved Driver Education

Strict Enforcement of Driving Laws

Tougher penalties for violation of driving laws

More consumer/customer service oriented (instead of "can not" maybe focus on "can DO", allowing returns on subpar/faulty merch, etc..)

Crackdown on corruption

Better education

Phil, corruption in South korea used to be totally out of control, they implemented a huge policy change where they "retired" any cop with X number of years on the job, and hiring in all new recruits with new training that made them a more reliable police force. If its still got elements of corruption it cant be anything like it used to be. And racism amongst the Korean police force isnt really an issue, getting them to properly police their own people was the main concern... its been my experience that Koreans are pretty racist so wouldnt expect them to act properly when involving foreigners.
I would say that in some ways the country is regressing. First off, dump this stupid law about not being able to buy a beer from between 2 and 5p.m. It's just ridiculous - I can't buy a bottle of beer in a supermarket but I can buy two boxes of 12! Duuurrhhh!

Secondly, go back to the 24 hour service in the night entertainment industry - life was so much more fun in those days. Some nationalities like the spanish don't even start thinking of hitting the town until late in the evening!

thirdly, dump the 90 day reporting crap. It's just a pain and exposes us all to one more extra dose of negative/rude immigration officials

Ya thanks buddy, those are truly important issues... nobody should impede your drinking and buying of women... please just go away.

Now who is a racit, you just called the whole nation a racist. As a person who was born and raised in Korea I would take exception to your notion. Granted, Korea in 70s and 80s were like what it is in Thailand right now. But to think that corruption is only limtied to Asian Coutries, you are way off base. As a businessman in the States I gave my share of kick backs to your average Caucasians, too.

What an ******** statement that is. Then I just looked at the poster's name and realised it's an ******** that posted it. Typical Maigrane6 reply.

Do you mean it's true or do you think it's false ?

If you think it's false, then you really are way out of touch with reality.

I know, I know, Thai Visa members never ever encourage corruption by greasing a few palms to make things go smoother and easier do they ? They like to do everything by the book....... :D:D

But I'm not about anonymous members of an anonymous internet forum, I'm talking about real life, <deleted> are you talking about Mr Coventry ?

And instead of using asterisks, why don't you use real words, cos ********* is hardly an insult is it ?

Now, Azzhole is an insult, but ******** isn't.

Now get your ******* act together Mr C. :o

Edited by Maigo6