Q Bar Samui - The Q Is For Quack

Saturday night, my first time in the "new and Improved" Q bar. I walk in, it's completely empty downstairs, order a drink (Jack/coke) and am told that the price is 330 baht. Hmmm. Then they have no change for 1000, I wait ten minutes for someone to run somewhere to make change. Hmmm. I wander upstairs, there seems to a be small (10-15ppl) crowd enjoying the view. By the time that I finish my drink, the power goes out (no backup gen) and everyone gets up and leaves. The staff say simply, "thank you" and that's it. Not surprised (according to friends' reports) that the place is empty all the time .

Saturday night, my first time in the "new and Improved" Q bar. I walk in, it's completely empty downstairs, order a drink (Jack/coke) and am told that the price is 330 baht. Hmmm. Then they have no change for 1000, I wait ten minutes for someone to run somewhere to make change. Hmmm. I wander upstairs, there seems to a be small (10-15ppl) crowd enjoying the view. By the time that I finish my drink, the power goes out (no backup gen) and everyone gets up and leaves. The staff say simply, "thank you" and that's it. Not surprised (according to friends' reports) that the place is empty all the time .

I trust you didn't leave a tip ! 330 for a JD coke ! buy 3 and you could have bought the bottle.

28-30 shot in a bottle gives them aprox 9000 gross, 8000 net on a bottle.

I trust you didn't leave a tip ! 330 for a JD coke ! buy 3 and you could have bought the bottle.

I was amazed, as this was more than any drink in LA, Miami, Milan, London etc. For typically <deleted> service in Samui it's laughable

I was amazed, as this was more than any drink in LA, Miami, Milan, London etc. For typically <deleted> service in Samui it's laughable

That price would be about par for the course in Singapore though, if that's any consolation.

Edited by OriginalPoster

B330? <deleted> me, that's approx £6.50 in today's market.

stupid place to put Q bar samui - stuck up on that hill away from the main bar areas. similar story with bar ice. over-priced, not easily accessible, always quiet and generally 5hite.

iirc I'm sure bar ice want approx B500 just to go inside the ice room. :o

According to a post on another forum I read, Samui is now supposedly the Ibiza of the winter period - make what you will.

I always found the locals there not too fond to accept local talent in place of their own, but as we all know here, money talks here, and this was a few years ago.

i have also heard that it is very over priced in there...

but you cannot blame the new owner, he did pay 32 Million THB for the place on a lease !

Don't think you have your facts right, Its actually owned but a Thai lady from Bkk - met her a couple of times.

32million for a lease - I would be very surprised if this was correct also.

Agreed its way to expensive especially if your in rounds with a group :o

but you cannot blame the new owner, he did pay 32 Million THB for the place on a lease !

Don't think you have your facts right, Its actually owned but a Thai lady from Bkk - met her a couple of times.

dont know the exact number but it was a truck load.

Don't think you have your facts right, Its actually owned but a Thai lady from Bkk - met her a couple of times. - With a brazilian BF who payed :D ......

32million for a lease - I would be very surprised if this was correct also - This came from the horses mouth ....

dont know the exact number but it was a truck load.

I remember when it was run by the old management there was always a decent sized crowd Fri, Sat but from the few times I have been since they refurbished and new owners it has been really dead and no atmosphere.

Since then I have never bothered when I am back on Samui as its a bit out the way in the first place.Yes the drinks are well over priced I think beers are 200++ baht also. Its a shame as Samui needs a couple of high end night spots to go out with friends, as a alternative from the usual Green Mango scene.

Surprised Q bar never thought about Phuket instead.

Agreed its way to expensive especially if your in rounds with a group :D

Don't think you have your facts right, Its actually owned but a Thai lady from Bkk - met her a couple of times. - With a brazilian BF who payed :D ......

32million for a lease - I would be very surprised if this was correct also - This came from the horses mouth .... ........... The Brazilian horse or the Thai Horse :o

I remember when it was run by the old management there was always a decent sized crowd Fri, Sat but from the few times I have been since they refurbished and new owners it has been really dead and no atmosphere.

it was busy when it first opened and was owned by Q Bar and managed by Pepe

unfortunatly the wrong crowd started to gather in there every Fri and Sat and the place lost its appeal

I went once, never again..

there was some Imbecile " chatting " & doing strange hand gestures that looked like he should be from Compton yet when i finally got the chance to speak to him, he was from Oxford !!!!!

Overpirced & far too " hip " for me anyway.. :o

Edited by MSingh

Q bar would be better located along the lake

as I mentioned previously, it's in a 5hit location. some research prior to the project would have been beneficial with regards to ease of access.

it's quite a distance from the other bar areas (mango, reggae etc). the samui taxi prices mean it's an expensive night if you cab it both ways coupled with a night on the sauce in Q.

edit; i may be wrong here, didn't realize david and crew sold up.

it bears mentioniong that a standrd drink at q bar is 3 oz. so divide your gross by 3. you are also assume that the bottles are litre bottles.

Edited by t.s

it bears mentioniong that a standrd drink at q bar is 3 oz. so divide your gross by 3. you are also assume that the bottles are litre bottles.

I didn't think that was correct as I never had a drink with 3oz. of liquor anywhere in the world where that was the standard pour- this is from their website:

The bar also features one of the largest selections of liquors in any freestanding bar in all of South East Asia and pours a full New York standard 1.5 oz (45ml) in each standard drink (50% larger than the Bangkok standard)

I didn't think that was correct as I never had a drink with 3oz. of liquor anywhere in the world where that was the standard pour- this is from their website:

The bar also features one of the largest selections of liquors in any freestanding bar in all of South East Asia and pours a full New York standard 1.5 oz (45ml) in each standard drink (50% larger than the Bangkok standard)

I was thinking 750ml bottle and 1 oz shots , if they're doubles for 330 then not more expensive than other clubs in chaweng

(never sure about uk fl oz and US fl oz, same or not ? )

Edited by Pilchard

I was thinking 750ml bottle and 1 oz shots , if they're doubles for 330 then not more expensive than other clubs in chaweng

(never sure about uk fl oz and US fl oz, same or not ? )

They're pretty close (~4%)- 1 UK fl oz. = 0.960759 US fl oz.- the difference is negligible in a drink. :o

Edited by OnTheSnap

e he moved

So David is not involved in it anymore?

Just a sort of franchise then!?!

Maybe that's why...

Long time not see him, but remembering his original Qbar in Saigon before he moved to Bkk.

e he moved

So David is not involved in it anymore?

Just a sort of franchise then!?!

Maybe that's why...

Long time not see him, but remembering his original Qbar in Saigon before he moved to Bkk.

well he certainly didn't leave that willingly.