Nikon Or Canon

Once you buy Canon, or Nikon and go on to buy lenses and other items

you will get locked onto that brand, when you want to upgrade.

So choose carefully.

Both are good brands with lots of potential no matter what type of photography you are into.

A Canon user of 20 years, and I don't regret it. :o

A Canon user of 20 years, and I don't regret it. :o

A Nikon user of 30 years, and I don't regret it. :D

- both brands make great cameras

- glass is much more important than the body. buy great lenses and they'll last a lifetime, a great body unfortunately only a couple of years

• 3 weeks later...
Need your opinions. Looking to buy a new Camera.

Undecided between a Nikon D90 and a Canon EOS 50D.

I went Canon, simply because when I made the choice Canon had a larger range of SLRs available.

I am happy I made that decision because the photography I like to do nowadays is with low aperture primes - and in this respect, Canon has more available than Nikon.

But frankly, you cannot go wrong with either. They are not the big two in the industry by accident!

I was faced with this decision last year. My father used Nikon when I was growing up so I intended on owning one, eventually. But after comparing the two, Canon came out ahead.

When I took a photography class this year, the majority of the students were heavily into Canon.

I was faced with this decision last year. My father used Nikon when I was growing up so I intended on owning one, eventually. But after comparing the two, Canon came out ahead.

When I took a photography class this year, the majority of the students were heavily into Canon.

desi,

When you took your photography class, was it in bkk? Was it good? Have you got any details on the school?

As has been stated both are good makes so a choice may at first seem Ha sip - Ha sip (50 - 50). I have had both over the years with an initial outlay on Nikon that was quite substantial at the time and then a costly swap over to Canon. So why did I change over? I had dificulties getting fast and satisfactory service from Nikon. Canon had a major distribution and service centre nearby but with my Nikon gear it had to be sent away (for 4months at one point). When I had a problem with my Canon they lent me a body to keep me going - no such service from Nikon.

So for me a deciding factor was - what is the back up like? It might be the other way about where you live.

So for me a deciding factor was - what is the back up like? It might be the other way about where you live.

In Bangkok they have several Canon service centres. The one I went to - MBK Plaza - asked if I could come back in an hour.

Edited by desi

I have been into photography since the early 70’thies. At that time using a Nikon F2 of witch I had two. I sold them 2001, hence using the same two bodies for 30 years. Only adjusting the shutter timing once.

Totally I have used the Nikon Film Cameras: F2, F601, F90x, FM2A,F5

Nikon Digital Cameras: D100,D1x,D80,D200

I never had a problem with a Nikon Camera or a Nikon Lens of which I had an extensive arsenal, A, Ai, AF, AF-S, Ranging from 14mm/f2.8 to 400/F8 mirror.

About two years ago, I changed my whole set to Canon, with a Canon G7 and Canon 5D and a heap of lenses.

GREAT mistake, I regret my change. The G7 sacked and needed repair at coast of 50% of purchase price. The Canon 24-105mm/F4 L IS lens had problem focusing. The camera could not detect the lens was mounted. The Canon 70-200mm/F2.8 L would stuck in infinity focus, - need for repair.

Generally I find the menus better and easier on the Canon, but the controls not as logic as the Nikon.

The view finder if far clearer and brighter on the Nikon than the Canon, the info in the Canon is very hard to see, the text is too small.

The 5D need often cleaning of the CCD, it is not sealed very well regarding dust. Canon say this can only be done at a service center, but I do it myself anyway with a cotton butte and lens cleaning fluid.

Also have in mind if you go for original lenses, Canon is more expensive, but I find them no way better than Nikons.

Nikons flash technology is ahead of Canons, both in actual work and in the menu control.

I agree that model and fashion photography get better result with a Canon due to the better presentation of skin tones.

Also Nikons PC software Nikon View & Nikon Capture NX is better than Canons Digital Photo Professional

So, my conclusion is simple, stick to Nikon D90, I suggest you to start with the 18-70mm/F3.5-4.5 AF-S DX and if you are on a budget Sigma 10-20mm plus Sigma 70-200mm/F2.8 a good flash plus Nikon Capture NX, and shoot in RAW file format.

I have used the Nikon VR lenses as well, but do not consider them to be worth the extra money. That goes for the Canon IS lenses as well.

Look up www naturfotograf com for a very comprehensive test of Nikon lenses.

Edited by Notariousus

Thinking back to when I first bought Canon, I looked at Nikon as well. c 1990

The specs were pretty similar.

I made the final choice because the Canon felt better in my hands..............

Ideally, try and borrow both these cameras for a day. One from each camp if not the exact models.

I'm having a similar dilemma. I need to replace My Leica M6 for which I have a couple of superb prime lens.

So far, I'm erring towards the new Canon 5D.

I switched to Canon in the '70's when they introduced the A1 -first to give TV and/or AV priority. I moved from Contax (159/167) and Leica (SL)

From a pro point of view, the agency I worked for INSISTED on Canon when the digital era arrived quite simply due to the then fact that Canon were streets ahead of Nikon on IQ and particularly fast long lenses. This still applies. Look at ANY sporting event and 75% (if not more) pro's are using Canon. Nikon have up to recent times been behind Canon with development however, as of late, the problems with Canon are unacceptable and Nikon is gaining momentum

Nikon having the edge on Canon for wide lenses is debatable imho. Canon having the edge in long lenses is unquestionable.

Nikons flash is indeed streets ahead of Canon, but Metz leaves them both a long way behind.

Both Nikon and Canon developing software is rubbish in comparison to Adobe LR or Capture One and shouldn't be a consideration.

So, what would I do? Frankly I'd go Nikon. Canon seem obsessed with pixels and outputting the latest machine just too damned early. The problems with the focusing on all their latest units is just unacceptable and seems to be almost par for the course for them. They need to take a good look at their QC and quickly.

I'm still using the 5D MK1 and a recently acquired G10. Both are ok for what I do but I can't wait 'til my A900 arrives ! :o

Good luck with your new Nikon :D

If your getting a pro level digital get a Nikon D3.

But by next year (Football World Cup and World athletics championships) Canon will have introduced a 4d or whatever it'll be called.

This will no doubt have HD video.

RAZZ

Ideally, try and borrow both these cameras for a day. One from each camp if not the exact models.

I'm having a similar dilemma. I need to replace My Leica M6 for which I have a couple of superb prime lens.

So far, I'm erring towards the new Canon 5D.

Why not go for an M8, so you can use your M series lenses.