Adsl: Leased Line Vs. Corporate Package

deWeeseCo

Hi,

I work for a company in Bangkok that uploads approximately 200MB/day to FTPs in Singapore or other countries. We have approximately 15 employees working in our office.

I'm wondering if the performance justifies the cost of a leased line as opposed to a business package. We're looking at the True leased line 512/512 which is 23,000 baht/month vs. the 'Biz-Lite' package at 15,000 baht/month.

Which is the best ISP?

We currently have a 128kbs ISDN line from Pacific Internet and it is unacceptably slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

There really is no best ISP in Thailand. Their service can change from day to day, and customer to customer.

I also think that you can get along fine with the ADSL package. You should get nearly the full speed. If not, you can always call and complain, and since you're a business customer, they'll actually listen.

True 512K at 23,000 is a bargain for Thailand - would have been triple that price a few years ago...

I have over 20 staff, use a 2Mb CS Loxinfo line for which I pay 93,000 per month. This is way more than we need but we are expanding, so I locked in the extra bandwidth at renewal time. Loxinfo have no bandwidth limit.

Those guys are very competitive, CS Loxinfo 2Mb line was way more than 93K but I told them that TRUE had quoted me the same price, so they met it.

It's hard to tell you if 512K would be enough - it depends what you do & where most of your communication is with. We run telnet to LA & our biggest problem is network latency (no of hops & hop time), not bandwidth.

Give us more details...

I know you are asking about business ISP service, but I have True's home ADSL at 1024/512 service and the outbound bandwidth is very reliable when I have needed it, considering the lack of QoS promises. My file transfers to the US often approach 600 Kb/s, and I have had voip connections where the inbound connection to Thailand was bad due to congestion but the outbound audio was still clear and very low loss/jitter.

So you probably can ftp your data out of Thailand at close to whatever speed you purchase without resorting to a leased line... (not that a leased line necessarily guarantees you bandwidth overseas).

We're a photography agency so we're constantly uploading large digital image files 24/7. I could see our daily upload capacity reaching 400MBs/day in the next few months.

What kind of specific information can I provide to help you with your advice?

Thanks.

Agree with 'autonomous'. If it's 400MB I think no need for a dedicated line.

I have a TRUE 2560/512 home package. The most I uploaded was 30 mb. It went in a jiffy ....

You might zip all the content, instead of sending it one-by-one shots. Your throughput will be higher.

You might consider True's most expensive SME package ... still much cheaper than a dedicated line.